AirPods Max
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #5,461 of 5,629
These are ok if I use the “reduce bass” setting in Apple Music, and do what I’ve been doing in Headphone Accommodations. It seems that unless I’m doing something wrong you can’t EQ bass out within the Headphone Accommodations settings, I’ve tried and it seems to do nothing. With the amount of bass these have it’s too much of a shock going back and forth between them and my Etymotic ER4SR. The “reduce bass” setting definitely helps. 9E8AA98D-616F-4B82-A888-4DC2FB183CEE.jpeg

And a picture of what “bass reducer” does:
4A7A98B5-CA05-46E1-8DB6-AFD6ED679FC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #5,462 of 5,629
Bass reducer… I’d never touch a thing like that :wink:
I wouldn’t use ER4 either though, maybe that has something to do with the other…
It’s hard to directly compare in-ears with over-ears, but personally I always preferred the latter, giving me a more realistic feeling of sound. But tastes are different — and that’s a good thing.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #5,463 of 5,629
I do not think I've been able to discern any details lacking once you start listening to headphones like the HD600 and beyond. Some headphones definitely bump up frequencies to mimic detail but if you really listen it's not missing on other headphones.
To me, when I'm listening to my BT headphone (which is a reputable Sennheiser PXC 550 II, considered often one of the best sound-wise) it feels like the meat is there but it lacks part of the salt and part of the dressing.

Sometimes I purposely listen to the same track on my main setup (which comes pretty north of 2000 euros) and right after on the PXC: the sound is there, the music is there, it just lacks the end of the notes, it lacks the attack details, it lacks the deep rumble, it lacks the air, it lacks the final parts of the reverbs, it lacks the dynamics to let me hear very low volume sustained keyboard in the background, etc.

But the meat is there, I can surely enjoy my music (and god forbid it makes my trash music more enjoyable...) in such a convenient and easy way... grilled steak is great even if filet mignon exist.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #5,464 of 5,629
Interesting. I have no issues with the fit or comfort with the stock triple flange tips. I’ve only worn them for maybe 3 hours at a single time, but I’ve never had them want to slip out. There has definitely been a few days where I’ve used them for 6 or more hours out of the day, just not 6 or more continuous hours. This is also just while sitting on the couch though, so not moving around and no ear sweat. But I like the fit and comfort and I’m loving the sound.
Well, I'm happy that you are enjoying the ER4s so much. I definitely prefer their "flat" sound more than that of the APMs. And I forgot that the ER4 cable has a shirt clip that actually does help keep the microphonics from getting too noisy. I might have to liberate mine from the closet and give them a workout this week.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #5,465 of 5,629
I know this is APM thread, but in this thread people are mentioning many others headphones, including the 3 years old AirPods Pro (APP).

Is surprising for me that in last 9 days, since the new AirPods Pro 2 (APP 2) are releasing, nobody is talking about this excellent new version in this thread.

I buying the APM when is first releasing (my opinions are some of first in this very long thread) and isn't for me and I returning to Apple after 30 days. Maybe many people here thinking that because the APM is full size headphone is better than new APP 2 (this is typical thinking that a big headphone is always better than all the IEMs).

The new APP 2 is improving in different areas of APP 1, but specially in sound quality and the new fantastic ANC that from my memory is the same or maybe even little better than APM, is definitely clearly better than my full size headphone, the excellent (only) for ANC, the Sony XM3.

My suggestion for the people in this thread is reading this thread starting from here because is more information about other important aspects of the sound (for example the playing in different volumes), and about ANC (how is changing). And is a good review from yesterday in youtube here too.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #5,466 of 5,629
I know this is APM thread, but in this thread people are mentioning many others headphones, including the 3 years old AirPods Pro (APP).

Is surprising for me that in last 9 days, since the new AirPods Pro 2 (APP 2) are releasing, nobody is talking about this excellent new version in this thread.

I buying the APM when is first releasing (my opinions are some of first in this very long thread) and isn't for me and I returning to Apple after 30 days. Maybe many people here thinking that because the APM is full size headphone is better than new APP 2 (this is typical thinking that a big headphone is always better than all the IEMs).

The new APP 2 is improving in different areas of APP 1, but specially in sound quality and the new fantastic ANC that from my memory is the same or maybe even little better than APM, is definitely clearly better than my full size headphone, the excellent (only) for ANC, the Sony XM3.

My suggestion for the people in this thread is reading this thread starting from here because is more information about other important aspects of the sound (for example the playing in different volumes), and about ANC (how is changing). And is a good review from yesterday in youtube here too.
The second-generation APPs might be a good choice for out-and-about listening. However, I'll wait a few months before deciding whether to buy a pair. I want to know if the hardware flaw that led Apple to issuing a voluntary recall (aka "Service Program") for the original AAPs has been properly fixed.

I had my APPs replaced seven times due to the flaw, which manifests itself as a crackling noise. Apple has said the flaw doesn't exist in APPs manufactured after October 2020, but that simply isn't the case. Just this past week, I received my most recent replacement, which were for a pair that were made after October 2020. And that defective pair had previously replaced — you guessed it — another post-October 2020 pair.

I do applaud Apple for issuing and honoring the voluntary recall. But it's still a hassle to go through with it every four or five months once the buds begin to crackle.

On top of the hardware flaw, though, another thing that troubles me about the APPs is that Apple forces firmware updates on them, and a few of the early updates reduced the efficacy of the ANC. The APPs I bought at launch had far superior noise-cancelling before the firmware tweaks. (And yes, the AirPods Max also get forced updates. But so far, so good.)

So, as I said, I'm going to take a wait and see approach. If they seem like a rock-solid option in a few months, with no widespread reports of crackling issues, then maybe I'll pick up a pair. Otherwise, no matter how great they sound out of the box, no thanks.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #5,469 of 5,629
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #5,470 of 5,629
I managed to test this for several days, I will say right away that I have not used full-size Bluetooth headphones before - but these sound smooth and good:)
Binaural sound is especially good and spacious!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #5,471 of 5,629
I managed to test this for several days, I will say right away that I have not used full-size Bluetooth headphones before - but these sound smooth and good:)
Binaural sound is especially good and spacious!
Their sound quality was fine - synthetic and metallic, but they're the best consumer grade BT ANC headphones if you're in the Apple ecosystem. The trade-off in sound quality for convenience in tech make them worth it.

I think Resolve on headphones.com said it best when he said, "they sound like good $100 headphones with $300 worth of tech."

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #5,472 of 5,629
Their sound quality was fine - synthetic and metallic, but they're the best consumer grade BT ANC headphones if you're in the Apple ecosystem. The trade-off in sound quality for convenience in tech make them worth it.

I think Resolve on headphones.com said it best when he said, "they sound like good $100 headphones with $300 worth of tech."
What does it mean synthetic and metallic? When music calls for it they will present a metallic sound, I guess. But a general metallic sound, on all music types, I do not quite understand and I never heard something like that on the APM. On the opposite, I would call them quite warm sounding...

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #5,474 of 5,629
I think what @tyk103 was trying to describe as artificial top end as it was metal sound when is not. This is true when you compare it to other headphones. The treble is there and quite defined but it as some kind of synthetic aspect of the sound that makes them sound artificial too much dsp working behind. It tries to make you feel you are listening to something natural until you hear a real and natural sound and compare...

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #5,475 of 5,629
too much dsp working behind.

My feeling is that people tend to ascribe to DSPs far more than what they should. I don't think that the Airpods Max are doing anything particular at higher frequencies.
More likely is that the treble response simply is quite uneven for most users, even though it might be at the right level when smoothed a lot for some of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back