AirPods Max
May 7, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #3,931 of 5,629
Apple HiFi is a huge marketing opportunity for them. They could release a new line of AirPods and Beats headphones and get people to upgrade just for lossless streaming alone, which by the way would be the first true lossless protocol on the market. (LDAC and aptX HD are fine but can’t compare to Apple Lossless, especially if Apple’s solution is to pass through data uncompressed.)
Dont quite get what you mean by passing data through uncompressed. If you mean ALAC it is compressed. Almost all codecs are compressed as otherwise the data files are generally very large. Only a few codecs, like WAV and AIFF are uncompressed.

May 7, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #3,933 of 5,629
Everyone is trying to discuss the signal chain of a closed system that uses ingredients that are quite novel in the experience of a headphone enthusiast.

This is a time where the map is not the territory.

In cameras/imaging, the big breakthroughs right now are using AI to tune the 3A for the ISP

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/14/21258403/sony-image-sensor-integrated-ai-chip-imx500-specs-price

Sure, we could sit down here and talk about lenses and optical systems but that’s not really how computational systems work.

Apple is early but I expect this to be an area of growth into proliferation over the next 5 & 10 years. We’ll see Qualcomm and Analog Devices eventually getting into Ai tuned audio signal processing systems that can provide computational infrastructure for companies like sennheiser who just isn’t exactly great at computing (by natural institutional focus)

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #3,935 of 5,629
Dont quite get what you mean by passing data through uncompressed. If you mean ALAC it is compressed. Almost all codecs are compressed as otherwise the data files are generally very large. Only a few codecs, like WAV and AIFF are uncompressed.
It may not be totally uncompressed (it may still be recompressed along with system audio at some point into ALAC) but what I meant is that there shouldn’t be a loss of quality. Codecs such as aptX HD are converting the source into an entirely new format.

May 9, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,936 of 5,629
So I have been using AMP for a while now and must say, they are really good. Are they as good as Abyss Diana or AB-1266? Of course not. But if I could own only one pair of headphones, I would chose AMP, for their ultimate convenience and integration to Apple's ecosystem.

May 9, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #3,937 of 5,629
So I have been using AMP for a while now and must say, they are really good. Are they as good as Abyss Diana or AB-1266? Of course not. But if I could own only one pair of headphones, I would chose AMP, for their ultimate convenience and integration to Apple's ecosystem.
I’ve been hearing that a lot from audiophiles that own headphones such as those from high-end niche brands such as Abyss and Focal: AirPods Max aren’t quite as good, but if they could keep one headphone they would keep AirPods Max.

Apple HiFi streaming will undoubtedly serve to close the gap even further.

May 9, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,938 of 5,629
I’ve been hearing that a lot from audiophiles that own headphones such as those from high-end niche brands such as Abyss and Focal: AirPods Max aren’t quite as good, but if they could keep one headphone they would keep AirPods Max.

Apple HiFi streaming will undoubtedly serve to close the gap even further.
I think its an interesting one; i went a week without using anything but the APM, and honestly considered selling my more expensive headphones, as I felt like I got everything I needed. Music sounds great through any decent headphones After all.

I did then spend an evening with my (much) more expensive cans, an interview so to speak if they could justify the money I’d spent on them.

It was interesting. Overall it felt as an experience like going from watching a movie on a TV, a good OLED TV at that, to a IMAX cinema.

I wanted to sell my more expensive headphones, to be honest I kind of need to right now financially, but I cant. The experience is just incredible, for those evenings getting lost in the music its another universe.

I think there are people who maybe due to hearing can’t tell, although I’d be suprised. or others who just havent spent an evening with their higher end sets in a while. The bottom line is you’ll enjoy music on any £100+ headphone, and it’s easy to forget that fact, so people who’ve dropped $2k on headphones spend a while with some a quarter the price and go ’wait, I can still jive to this, it’s great!’ Because it’s music.

But the converse is true. Those better headphones, the Focal Clear’s, Abyss, B&W P9, etc, absolutely offer another tier of experience. A much, much better tier, I say that somewhat painfully as i know the cost of that truth to myself at least is considerable. I wish Apple had made a silver bullet, or gotten somewhat close to the big boys, but they just haven’t. What they’ve done is create a very convenient tech product that produces nice sound for on the go.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,939 of 5,629
I think its an interesting one; i went a week without using anything but the APM, and honestly considered selling my more expensive headphones, as I felt like I got everything I needed. Music sounds great through any decent headphones After all.

I did then spend an evening with more more expensive cans, an interview so to speak if they could justify the money I’d spent on them.

It was interesting. Overall it felt as an experience like going from watching a movie on a TV, a good OLED TV at that, to a IMAX cinema.

I wanted to sell my more expensive headphones, to be honest I kind of need to right now financially, but I cant. The experience is just incredible, for those evenings getting lost in the music its another universe.

I think there are people who maybe due to hearing can’t tell, although I’d be suprised, or others who just havent spent an evening with their higher end sets in a while. The bottom line is you’ll enjoy music on any £100+ headphone, and it’s easy to forget that fact, so people who’ve dropped $2k on headphones spend a while with some a quarter the price and go ’wait, I can still jive to this, it’s great!’ Because it’s music.

But the converse is true. Those better headphones, the Focal Clear’s, Abyss, B&W P9, etc, absolutely offer another tier of experience. A much, much better tier, I say that somewhat painfully as i know the cost of that truth to myself at least is considerable. I wish Apple had made a silver bullet, or gotten somewhat close to the big boys, but they just haven’t. What they’ve done is create a very convenient tech product that produces nice sound for on the go.
I’ve got to say a speaker system with separate tweeters, mid-range drivers, and woofers has all but replaced headphones, even high-end pairs, for me for the purpose of experiencing music.

The utility of a car with a proper premium sound system purely for music listening is underrated. Plus CarPlay already utilizes Wi-Fi so Apple HiFi support won’t be an issue.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,940 of 5,629
I’ve got to say a speaker system with separate tweeters, mid-range drivers, and woofers has all but replaced headphones, even high-end pairs, for me for the purpose of experiencing music.

The utility of a car with a proper premium sound system purely for music listening is underrated. Plus CarPlay already utilizes Wi-Fi so Apple HiFi support won’t be an issue.
Oh, no doubt about it, speakers all the way. But plenty of times that isnt possible, kids, spouse, living in apartments. Then the only option for music lovers are cans

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #3,941 of 5,629

I did then spend an evening with more more expensive cans, an interview so to speak if they could justify the money I’d spent on them.

I think there are people who maybe due to hearing can’t tell, although I’d be suprised, or others who just havent spent an evening with their higher end sets in a while. The bottom line is you’ll enjoy music on any £100+ headphone, and it’s easy to forget that fact, so people who’ve dropped $2k on headphones spend a while with some a quarter the price and go ’wait, I can still jive to this, it’s great!’ Because it’s music.

I’ve hit on this point since my first post about these headphones and it holds true:

Just as the DSLR(Optical Marvel) is not replaced by the iPhone camera, neither is the HiFi Open Back(Acoustics Marvel) is replaced by the APM.

However, the lines have been blurred.

May 10, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3,944 of 5,629
Most will have to use corded CarPlay. Only select new and expensive cars use wireless CarPlay.

I forgot only select brands utilize wireless CarPlay.
You could also get one of those adapters that do Wireless CarPlay. I have one for my Civic and it works pretty great. There is a 1/2 second delay in audio though (excluding phone calls). The only other complaint is that Waze is absolute trash on it. Though I’ve seen that complaint from people who have cars that support Wireless CarPlay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back