AirPods Max
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #3,901 of 5,629
The driver can't properly produce this part of the frequency response for some reason without sounding like someone applied a "treble booster" EQ. The treble has this unrefined quality to it that you hear in every recording. There is this sharp edge that is distracting. This is the biggest flaw of this headphone.
Try with ANC and transparency both off. I noticed this harshness but I can’t notice it with those set to off. You hold the volume slider to get this extra option

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,902 of 5,629
Just got AirPods Max today. Tried it directly with iPhone 11, and to me the sound is a bit similar with old trusty HD25 direct/no app on Spotify. A bit better on sub bass and separation.. but still not sure if it’s a keeper for me. I only tried couple of songs with it tho, mostly Kaytrananda and Fiona Apple. Might have to try it a bit more. But have to say the Bluetooth technology has catch up with wired headphones now.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,903 of 5,629
The more time i spend with APM the more I think a few small changes would have really set them apart. Notably, mids, vocals are pretty darn thin and not at all prominent when they should be, really noticable listening to female vocalists. On the other side of the coin, they handle instrumentals, particularly electronic music, beautifully due to the clarity and sub bass.

So far I’d set them a hair below the P7 wireless in sound, but a bit above the Momentum 3, and a long way above the MW65. The only reason they’re not on top with flying colours is the mids. The clarity, seperation and sound stage are all brill and by far and a way superior to the others imo.

Edit: I was listening to Teardrop today on the APMs, and they have grown on my a huge amount purely due to convenience. Howver what I will say is, listening to the female vocals on teardrop they just felt slightly flat...I couldn’t put my finger on it.

I dusted of my P7 wireless to listen to the same track...Wow. The vocals on the apm were so much less intimate, they felt ethereal almost far away in comparison. Pretty darn dramatic to my ears.

The APM are so well built, so conveninet, that sometimes i overlook the sound. I think i’ve changed my tune a bit on them, I’d say the P7W are a good bit more accomplished, as the vocal rendition on the APM is too poor for a headphone of its class imo. I think I’ll be returning them, sadly as I do love the build and ios integration.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,904 of 5,629
HiFi music coming to Apple Music, with an announcement as early as WWDC.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/01/ios-14-6-beta-6-hifi-apple-music/

I still can’t help but wonder if my speculation about Apple future-proofing AirPods Max with a proprietary Apple Lossless codec that will be “unlocked” in a future firmware update is accurate. I do have to say I’m pleasantly surprised to see it offered at $9.99/month.

May 1, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,905 of 5,629
Although I can hear the difference with hifi audio over Bluetooth (I’m beginning to wonder if it’s the mastering), most can’t. Which would mean apples hifi tier wouldn’t work on its hifi products without wifi. This gives me hope AirPods max will support some kind of hifi. If it’s held back for following generations I’ll be seriously pissed.

May 1, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #3,906 of 5,629
HiFi music coming to Apple Music, with an announcement as early as WWDC.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/01/ios-14-6-beta-6-hifi-apple-music/

I still can’t help but wonder if my speculation about Apple future-proofing AirPods Max with a proprietary Apple Lossless codec that will be “unlocked” in a future firmware update is accurate. I do have to say I’m pleasantly surprised to see it offered at $9.99/month.
Surprised to see an Apple HiFi offering that doesn’t exist? It will take an Apple Secret Codec to make the Max’s sound upper tier.

May 3, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,907 of 5,629
Surprised to see an Apple HiFi offering that doesn’t exist? It will take an Apple Secret Codec to make the Max’s sound upper tier.
Rumors like this usually pan out 90% of the time. With the competition offering hifi tiers I think it’s inevitable we’ll see Apple Music HiFi this year.

Of particular note in the article:

“Within the code for the first beta of the upcoming update, references to "lossless audio," "high-quality stereo streaming," and "HiFi" are found within the ‌Apple Music‌ app. Accompanying code within the beta suggests that HiFi streaming could be limited to only certain ‌AirPods‌ such as the AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and newer.

Wording such as "Route Incompatible" and "Route Unknown Compatibility" suggests that much like how Spatial Audio is limited to only the ‌AirPods Pro‌ and ‌AirPods Max‌, HiFi ‌Apple Music‌ streaming could be exclusive to certain generation ‌AirPods‌ and other compatible devices.”

Apple must have added some sort of new wireless protocol to its latest AirPods. It would admittedly be surprising for them to already support this on current-generation AirPods Pro since I think HiFi streaming is enough to justify a new purchase. It makes sense for AirPods Max to already have this feature since it’s an expensive purchase tailored to audiophiles that users would be expected to keep for 2-3+ years.

May 3, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #3,908 of 5,629
Rumors like this usually pan out 90% of the time. With the competition offering hifi tiers I think it’s inevitable we’ll see Apple Music HiFi this year.

Of particular note in the article:

“Within the code for the first beta of the upcoming update, references to "lossless audio," "high-quality stereo streaming," and "HiFi" are found within the ‌Apple Music‌ app. Accompanying code within the beta suggests that HiFi streaming could be limited to only certain ‌AirPods‌ such as the AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and newer.

Wording such as "Route Incompatible" and "Route Unknown Compatibility" suggests that much like how Spatial Audio is limited to only the ‌AirPods Pro‌ and ‌AirPods Max‌, HiFi ‌Apple Music‌ streaming could be exclusive to certain generation ‌AirPods‌ and other compatible devices.”

Apple must have added some sort of new wireless protocol to its latest AirPods. It would admittedly be surprising for them to already support this on current-generation AirPods Pro since I think HiFi streaming is enough to justify a new purchase. It makes sense for AirPods Max to already have this feature since it’s an expensive purchase tailored to audiophiles that users would be expected to keep for 2-3+ years.
Maybe you're right and I certainly hope so! More competition into our hobby is never a bad thing. Their house sound just isn't my thing. I love Apple Music but I can't get over the details I miss compared to Qobuz or Tidal. Same thing with the APP and APM, just average but well integrated into Apple systems. My concern is that too many people enjoy mediocre sound and gear and currently we're enjoying innovation and quality sound at affordable prices. I can listen to great music at my fingertips from my phone or home streamer for what I consider affordable. Let's hope Apple isn't WalMart of Tech and music fidelity.

May 3, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #3,909 of 5,629
Maybe you're right and I certainly hope so! More competition into our hobby is never a bad thing. Their house sound just isn't my thing. I love Apple Music but I can't get over the details I miss compared to Qobuz or Tidal. Same thing with the APP and APM, just average but well integrated into Apple systems. My concern is that too many people enjoy mediocre sound and gear and currently we're enjoying innovation and quality sound at affordable prices. I can listen to great music at my fingertips from my phone or home streamer for what I consider affordable. Let's hope Apple isn't WalMart of Tech and music fidelity.
I think Apple will end up accomplishing what I’ve been saying all of these years: Apple Music HiFi will win over even more audiophiles into going wireless. If users are able to get the same quality as with a wire, then there’s no downside. It would be incredible to get lossless quality with AirPods.

May 4, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #3,910 of 5,629
I think Apple will end up accomplishing what I’ve been saying all of these years: Apple Music HiFi will win over even more audiophiles into going wireless. If users are able to get the same quality as with a wire, then there’s no downside. It would be incredible to get lossless quality with AirPods.
Lossless quality out of AirPods is like pouring rocket fuel into a 30 year old family sedan and expecting it to run like a sports car… pointless…

But I’m intrigued with what they can do to squeeze more out of the AirPods Max. Or sucker us into AirPods Studio / AirPods Studio Pro / AirPods Studio Pro Max…….

May 5, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #3,912 of 5,629
But I’m intrigued with what they can do to squeeze more out of the AirPods Max.
Has anyone tried Apple's USB dongle for AirPods Max? How much better does it sound? That could show APM's potential for what it can do if Apple came up with a lossless BT codex and baked it into current or future APM products.

May 5, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #3,913 of 5,629
Has anyone tried Apple's USB dongle for AirPods Max? How much better does it sound? That could show APM's potential for what it can do if Apple came up with a lossless BT codex and baked it into current or future APM products.
There is no usb dongle for AirPods Max. Only 3.5mm and there are mixed thoughts on that so I conclude it’s a no go…

May 5, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #3,914 of 5,629
There is no usb dongle for AirPods Max. Only 3.5mm and there are mixed thoughts on that so I conclude it’s a no go…
Oh really, I kinda assumed they would have USB to Lighting, to keep it digital, not only 3.5mm to Lighting, what a pity, thanks!

May 5, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #3,915 of 5,629
Oh really, I kinda assumed they would have USB to Lighting, to keep it digital, not only 3.5mm to Lighting, what a pity, thanks!
Yeah, the only way is Lightning->3.5mm (DAC) 3.5mm -> Lightning (ADC) -> AirPods Max (DAC), so there is an extra analog/digital conversion in there. To keep it digital, would require a Lightning<->Lightning cable, which Apple doesn't make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back