AirPods Max
Feb 19, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #3,271 of 5,629
Pro tip: you can press the pause button and transparency button at the same time to quickly engage with the real world.
Pro tip #2: Only enable ANC and Transparency in settings... If you enable "ANC Off" as well, you can't re-engage your music when you press both buttons after you're done with the real world... it goes to "Play" and "ANC Off" instead...

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #3,274 of 5,629
It is astounding how unprofessional some of these reviewers are. He was already hard to listen to, and then I just turned it off at the homophobic language.
The man is quite clearly an idiot. He's got no idea what he's talking about. His astonishment about two simple cables at the end of the video says it all.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #3,276 of 5,629
Yeah, that's what I hear of APM treble, grainy is the way to describe it. There's different interpretation of the word grainy based on people I've spoken to. Some people state grainy being like non-distinction or not so resolved or fuzzy. Others state grainy as texture grainy, but still not so sharp resolve, kinda like television noise and image behind it. With the rise of such treble of APM, and not so fine of a treble, I do hear it as the latter, the unrefined texture grainy. Which is the case in these class of headphones. I was hoping we can get past such type of sound, but APM is no different in this regard. I bet there will be people have no idea what I'm talking about. That's fine, this is just based on my experience with various gears tried.
Grainy? To your silver ears perhaps.

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #3,277 of 5,629
They will have no awareness what so ever. I will go as far as to say, a lot of them want the Apple look. If we look at Beats, it's about image and it's particular design associated with the life-style people that wears them, which is no different from apparel. And they enjoy music out of it, no matter how bloated the bass is. lol There's a general human nature thing about people enjoying things not for just for functionality or performance, but due to a branding or the looks. We can call it placebo or whatnot, but as quoted from the Matrix, "ignorance is bliss."

We're a certain part of the audio segment, not large like mainstream, so a segment of the market that Apple wouldn't be concerned with. They go for the big pie. Just as Bose did with their marketing.
You claim to belong to a certain part of the audio segment. I don’t know but people with decent ears and good taste wouldn’t be as arrogant as you are here.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #3,278 of 5,629
The condensation feature is included at no extra charge. Previously only available on £1000+ premium headphones.
You think you're funny? Condensation is unavoidable and quite normal, especially in closed back headphones. Most people only don't know about it because the cushions of their headphones can't be removed as easily as those of the APM. More important: Apple has protected the electronics of the APM against any form of moisture, as iFixit has discovered. So all uproar and emotions about a condensation scandal are rubbish.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,279 of 5,629
You think you're funny? Condensation is unavoidable and quite normal, especially in closed back headphones. Most people only don't know about it because the cushions of their headphones can't be removed as easily as those of the APM. More important: Apple has protected the electronics of the APM against any form of moisture, as iFixit has discovered. So all uproar and emotions about a condensation scandal are rubbish.

Where does it mention this 'protection' in the iFixit tear-down? I'm not seeing it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,280 of 5,629
Where does it mention this 'protection' in the iFixit tear-down? I'm not seeing it.

The front acoustic space (ie where you ears are) is sealed from other areas of the APM in various ways. For example there's a gasket running around the driver unit that's compressed by the plastic cover with holes in front of it :
Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 19.13.21.png

That being said it remains unknown whether Apple thought the condensation problem fully through and whether we'll have problems down the line or not.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #3,281 of 5,629
The front acoustic space (ie where you ears are) is sealed from other areas of the APM in various ways. For example there's a gasket running around the driver unit that's compressed by the plastic cover with holes in front of it :
Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 19.13.21.png
That being said it remains unknown whether Apple thought the condensation problem fully through and whether we'll have problems down the line or not.

Well, indeed. And given that condensation definitely appears on the drivers, how do we know it isn't also appearing on the electronics?

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,283 of 5,629
Quote, on which I based my comment: 'Take a look at iFixit disassembly images and you can see the seal around the the driver or apples disassembly animation you can see how the seal works, and how it separates the driver from the electronics. The driver also has a membrane that also protects the driver. Take a look at iFixit disassembly images and you can see the seal around the the driver or Apples disassembly animation you can see how the seal works, and how it separates the driver from the electronics. The driver also has a membrane that also protects the driver.'

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,284 of 5,629
Quote, on which I based my comment: 'Take a look at iFixit disassembly images and you can see the seal around the the driver or apples disassembly animation you can see how the seal works, and how it separates the driver from the electronics. The driver also has a membrane that also protects the driver. Take a look at iFixit disassembly images and you can see the seal around the the driver or Apples disassembly animation you can see how the seal works, and how it separates the driver from the electronics. The driver also has a membrane that also protects the driver.'

The seal seems good, yes, but what membrane? Do you mean the very fine mesh under the holes in the earcup grilles? That's not a membrane, and given that condensation appears on the drivers, whatever it is isn't stopping that happening. Or do you mean that the drivers have a membrane layer of some sort as an outer layer? If so, where are you getting that info from?

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,285 of 5,629
The seal seems good, yes, but what membrane? Do you mean the very fine mesh under the holes in the earcup grilles? That's not a membrane, and given that condensation appears on the drivers, whatever it is isn't stopping that happening. Or do you mean that the drivers have a membrane layer of some sort as an outer layer? If so, where are you getting that info from?

We need to know how the condensation gets to the drivers. There are holes between your ear and the drivers themselves which is likely the easiest way for the condensation to get to the drivers. If there are gaskets surrounding the drivers that are watertight and last, that should be enough protection for the rest of the electronics inside. But we really don't know how well the APM is protected from condensation from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back