AirPods Max
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #841 of 5,629
That is quite some wrong info here. I do not wait for my xm4 to pair with my iPhone or iPad every time I turn them on. It is connected instantly and ready to be used by both devices exactly as my AirPods Pro behave.

Same with the Bose NC700. Apple may have made setup easier, but there’s zero lag here. Connection isn’t too high quality at times.

Now the bigger question, is the quality head and shoulder better with the APM than what the NC 700 offfers?

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #842 of 5,629
Is LDAC really all that? The supposedly superior codec has been available for years, and till now only a handful of headphones support it. Of note, the XM4 and the Audeze Mobius. The Mobius is a gaming headset, and the XM4 just sounds atrocious. AAC works just fine...this isn’t a codec issue, it’s an audio tuning issue.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #843 of 5,629
Little discovery about volume at desk setup:

Using an amp allows the headphone to go louder than through bluetooth or wired into the computer. Distortion occurs though with my Schiit at high enough setting, but the dial can be turned up enough without distortion to allow content to be played at higher volumes. I can't say that it changes quality, but I can watch my favorite shows/movies at a higher volume that I would like to.

You can also still adjust volume with the APM's crown. So it can get very loud, for anyone feeling a lack in volume at home.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #844 of 5,629
Does the cable render the onboard amp passive?

The Lightning in port is digital only, so any signal connected with the Lightning cable is analog 3.5mm -> ADC (in the cable) -> Lightning -> Apple DSP -> DAC -> amp -> drivers.

I've not seen reported yet, if using the 3.5mm to Lightning cable, if the internal volume still works. If so, it's possible it should be turned all the way up so volume control on the source works in a reasonable range.

Edit:
Looks like according to @tkddans that the dial does indeed still control the internal APM volume, so you'd need to make sure internal volume is high enough to not have your external amp need to be in it's highest output range.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #845 of 5,629
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #846 of 5,629
That is quite some wrong info here. I do not wait for my xm4 to pair with my iPhone or iPad every time I turn them on. It is connected instantly and ready to be used by both devices exactly as my AirPods Pro behave. Please try to write only about things you are actually aware of. Thanks.

Ok, I take it back. I see in the app of Bose and Sony you can force them to stay on permanently. So then you get the same speed of usage as the APM. But not sure how long the NC 700 and WH-1000XM3 will last if they are permanently on as they do not have a low-power state and are not designed to be used this way.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #848 of 5,629
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #849 of 5,629
If you haven't already seen...

AirPods Max Review: An Audio Engineer's Breakdown vs Sony WH1000XM4, Bose 700 and More

In the observations on sound quality, I find myself agreeing with him.

It’s really good to see how Apple has excelled in almost every parameter Sony and Bose have set till now. For a listener, Bose NC700/Sony’s was what the best ANC headphones in the market. Apple has made them look and sound awful and cheap. It’s like Apple has now defined and described what a true ANC headphone should sound like. You are costly but take my money!! Looking at you Bose and Sony - now make something comparable to the APM.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #851 of 5,629
Just tried these out at the local Apple store...top tier materials, though I wonder how the mesh will stand up over time (I’m guessing poorly, unless Apple have managed to create some sort of magical mesh that never frays). Sound signature is def tuned for the consumer but not offensively so. It’s got a bit of a bass bump which is going to be great for movies. The APM has a sound that should work for everybody, unless you’re a dyed-in-the-wool traditional audiophile who listens only to the most neutral of setups. Are they worth $550? They’re justifiable if you’re deep in the Apple ecosystem (nobody else has Apple’s software featureset, they’re miles ahead of everybody else), but based purely on sound and materials? Nope

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #852 of 5,629
Ok, I take it back. I see in the app of Bose and Sony you can force them to stay on permanently. So then you get the same speed of usage as the APM. But not sure how long the NC 700 and WH-1000XM3 will last if they are permanently on as they do not have a low-power state and are not designed to be used this way.

To be entirely honest , unless the battery is DEAD no electronic ever really turns off. To even turn on, a electronic will have to be in a standby status and ready to “wake”. The power button simply FORCES the headphones to go into a deep sleep state. This is also why if you have a laptop lying around for a bit, even while shut down, the battery is at a lower level than what it was previously left at. That and “chemistry”.

Apple simply did away with the physical power button and introduced an algorithm that corrects for that.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #854 of 5,629
One thing I really like with the AirPods Max that the Bose NC 700 and Sony WH-1000XM3 and WH-1000XM4 seems to lack entirely is the capability of using transparency mode while also using the headphones.

This is wrong. It is possible with xm3 and xm4 using ANC and transparency modes and using the headphones (listening to music) at the same time. In this case is exactly the same as APM.

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #855 of 5,629
This is wrong. It is possible with xm3 and xm4 using ANC and transparency modes and using the headphones (listening to music) at the same time. In this case is exactly the same as APM.
Not exactly the same, the APM is spatially aware as well, so you can tell where the noise is coming from, not just that there is a noise there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back