AirPods Max
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #812 of 5,629
And they'll change the aluminum bits to hard plastic.

Plus take out the H1-based boards and replace them by a cheap Qualcomm SOC.

OK, enough... I admit, my opinion of Hifiman is not the best. But they represent so many things I despise about the new developments in this area...

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #813 of 5,629
DAVE costs as much as an economy car. That’s just an unfair comparison

Plus take out the H1-based boards and replace them by a cheap Qualcomm SOC.

OK, enough... I admit, my opinion of Hifiman is not the best. But they represent so many things I despise about the new developments in this area...

Personally I haven’t touched their wares since the RE0.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #816 of 5,629
Remember this impressions video from DMS?

I typed a comment on his video and he replied. I asked him about the Accesibility trick, where we select “Balanced” to get a different, more likeable sound. See his reply:

823BB89E-6E73-4B1A-81BC-E1AC55F4AB81.jpeg

So he does at this time acknowledge he hears it being brighter this way, even if it is only a trick of compression.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #817 of 5,629
For those that want the 3.5mm cable, these seem to need to be driven hard to get any sense of volume out of them - just as fair warning

that being said, as others have said, I can confirm that they sound pretty competent this way, seemingly more balanced than over BT (using the Sony WM1A as a source)

YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #819 of 5,629
Will software/hardware on APM in future be able to handle "better" bluetooth quality? (think similar to LDAC)

Nope, If Apple is interested in streaming high resolution audio, they will not use crappy LDAC but maybe do something with their Airplay technology in the future (Airpods Pro Max).

However realistically knowing Apple, they just stick with AAC.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #820 of 5,629
Thank goodness I'm so old that 'AAC and LDAC and SBC' make no difference whatsoever to my listening experience. I like the look and functionality of these headphones. Comfort is next. If I can find some coins down the back of the sofa I might buy 'em

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #824 of 5,629
Dec 18, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #825 of 5,629
Nope, If Apple is interested in streaming high resolution audio, they will not use crappy LDAC but maybe do something with their Airplay technology in the future (Airpods Pro Max).

However realistically knowing Apple, they just stick with AAC.

I‘ve just had a look, you were right... only the encoder is free (Apache License), the decoder requires a license. I think they will stick with AAC — not a bad solution anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back