AirPods Max
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #302 of 5,629
Yeah, spatial audio is amazing, but only works on iPhone and iPad and not all contents either.
So you're telling me there's a chance? 😳

I have an iPad, how do I listen to "spatial audio"?! That sounds like the smartphone of soundstage?! I'm assuming if this is true then we could see the death of conventional audio gear.

As I understand, this should be any app that supports 5.1 audio; including of course those you mentioned.
Woah!!!!! You're the admin! 😳😳😳😳😳 I'm sorry for the double post but is there a setting some where to see spatial audio?

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #303 of 5,629

I have an iPad, how do I listen to "spatial audio"?! That sounds like the smartphone of soundstage?! I'm assuming if this is true then we could see the death of conventional audio gear.

Looks like you need a compatible device too.

Attachments

• 5ACB7C63-9F92-46F2-B995-4B000A136030.png
    5ACB7C63-9F92-46F2-B995-4B000A136030.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #304 of 5,629

It’s more for movies. The effect is quite amusing the first time I heard it. It’s easy to tell if spatial audio is on, when watch movies on iOS device with AirPods Pro, just turn your head left or right, if say, the voice of the actor anchored to the screen, then spatial audio is on. If the placement of the voice moves as you rotate your head, then no spatial audio. Think of it this way, when you watch a movie in the movie theater or live orchestra, the speaker or the musician doesn’t move just because you turn your head. The soundstage is also incredible, can’t wait to try it with AirPods max. Now Apple just need to implement it with Apple TV, not just on tiny iOS devices.

By the way I think Netflix doesn’t support spatial audio yet.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #305 of 5,629
In a convenient coincidence, I was just talking with one of the guys here at the office earlier about spatial audio for the Apple TV. Not sure how they'd manage the zeroing for orientation. Maybe a calibration step similar to what Audeze did with the Mobius.

THIS is the feature I was hoping for. However, it seems 100% unlikely they’re going to incorporate it at launch. But I mean, they must’ve added the head tracking capabilities to the APM for a reason. I think Apple TV support will be a future software update. They haven’t specified a function for holding down the transparency/NC button yet. Hm.

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #307 of 5,629
Honestly, I am just looking for a proper Bose QC II successor. Neither the Sony WH-1000XM3 and the Bose NC 700 managed to do it due to comfort issues when using it for many hours. It is probably the main reason why Bose did not call the NC 700, the QC 45II and they are still selling the QC35 II.

So if the AirPods Max is comfortable to use for 10+ hours, just like the Bose QC35 II is, it could be my main office headphone. That is assuming that the microphone is also on the same level as Bose.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #309 of 5,629
Bought a pair for pickup tomorrow, will report back on how it sounds

Dito. Delivery is still listed as Feb but a nearby store had stock!

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #310 of 5,629
I just received my pair.

Way too early to really tell anything but I have a few first impressions.

The build quality feels nice. They feel very solid, much more so than my Bose NC 700. The headband that looked a lot like the Apple Silicon cases don't really feel like their silicon cases which is a good thing as I was worried about it tainting the overall quality feel of the headphones. But it still feels like a awkward choice of materials for the headband. The weight and everything about them feel great so there is no denying how the headband itself is the one thing about them not feeling as premium and high quality. But as one who often use my wireless headphones while taking a walk outside this headband will most likely do much better in cold temperatures and in rain when compared to leather.

The "case" looks and feels as silly as one would imagine. Can't really wrap my head around what Apple was thinking here. I have never used the case for my Bose NC 700, not even once. I don't use it when travelling either so I don't really care about the case as it's not something I'm going to use. But this case looks and feels so silly that I'm ending up feeling somewhat offended by it even though I'm never going to use it.

One thing I have to note regarding the build quality. The earcups tends to knock into each other when you remove them from the case. If you shake the headphones even if just a little they will connect which is rather annoying and it makes for a rather loud noise when the aluminium is hitting each other. It's not like it's a huge problem or anything unless the aluminium starts scratching or getting dents but it's worth noting.

The lack of touch controls doesn't bother me at all. I feel like people complaining about the lack of touch controls are not living on the same planet as myself. I had touch controls of the Sony WH-1000XM headphones, on my B&O BeoPlay H headphones etc and they work okay but I prefer physical controls over touch controls any day. Just the simple tap to start/pause on my Bose NC 700 is not working all the time which is really annoying. Using the digital crown and the physical button for switching between transparency and noise cancellation is great. I don't find it awkward to have the controls on the top of the earcups either. Got used to it right away.

There are still two things I find silly. Why can't the transparency/noise cancellation button support double-tapping or even triple-tapping? I have to chose if the button will toggle between transparency and noise cancellation, transparency and off (no transparency or noise cancellation) or noise cancellation and off. Why can't we have all three? Sure the transparency is so good that you won't really use the off option at all in most scenarios I just find it strange to limit this button to a single option only.

Same goes for the lack of power on/off button or any other way of forcing the headphones into ultra-low-power mode. So they didn't want to add another button? That's okay but why can't you make that one button you already have in place have some long-press, double or triple press functionality? Having to put the headphones into the case for them to enter ultra-low-power mode is just silly. This might not be a problem at all, I have no clue how little power they drain when they are simply laying around outside of the case but it still feels like a rather silly design when they have the button on the headphones already. Just make it do more than only toggling between transparency and noise cancellation.

Comfort feels great. Their weight it no problem. You feel the heft when using them, it adds to the overall quality and premium feel but the weight distribution and the mesh on the headband does a great job so I don't feel any pressure or discomfort at all. I will obviously have to use them extended periods of time to verify but first impressions are good. There is ample space and room within the earpads and the fabric itself feels great and provides a good seal.

There isn't much noise in my apartment so I can't say much about the ANC as of yet. My first impression on the audio is very good. There is no doubt about the soundstage and clarify being superior to my Bose NC 700. They feel very spacious and sparkly which is something I prefer and enjoy. I did opt for the Bose NC 700 over the Sony WH-1000XM3 back in the day as I found the Bose NC 700 to have wider soundstage. Personally, I find the Sony's to feel very V-shaped. They are very "in-your-face" but as with pretty much every other headphones tuned with v-shaped sound I feel they get rather muddy with too much emphasis on the bass without any width or separation at all. The Apple AirPods Max feels like it's on the complete oposite side of the spectrum. They feel very wide and spacious with great separation. I can't really say I have heard any closed-back headphone, and certainly no closed-back ANC headphones with such a wide, spacious and sparkly sound quality.

But I will of course need much more time with them. But first impression are very good.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #311 of 5,629
I forgot to mention one of the most annoying parts about the design.. Lightning for charging. I have only iOS and iPadOS devices and we have barely any Lightning cables around. Our iPads are using USB-C, our Mac's are using USB-C, our PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X controllers are using USB-C, even our Nintendo Switch controllers are using USB-C. Our iPhone's and AirPod's are using wireless chargers. Having to fiddle with Lightning cables for charging is annoying.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #312 of 5,629
As of 5AM pacific these are available in the US NOW if you order for pick up in store today or 2 hour courier delivery ($5). With the extended holiday return policy, I decided to give em a try.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #313 of 5,629
I am suprised that I received mine too also despite missing the pre-order.

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #314 of 5,629
Thanks for the heads up. Just placed an order and should be delivered by the courier by 12:30pm today. Excited to try these out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back