AirPods Max
Dec 11, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #211 of 5,629
Of course MB is first to get it...

thank you for sharing. very interested in his review since I own both the Sony and the HD800s which he seems to be casting as his comparisons. dont like the idea that you can't turn these things off. I pulled my Sonys out the other day for use with my iPad. they must have been sitting for 2-3 months with out use. still had 100% charge. I was impressed.

regardless of what people think of these headphones, I think we all can agree the aftermarket case market for the max will be huge!!! :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #212 of 5,629
His is HD820 tho, Marques should have the good ol 800 and 800s around but he used the 820 as daily simply because its used in his studio.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #213 of 5,629

Jud's Impression, he slightly more history of reviewing headphones, tho past favorite is more Basshead oriented.
The content starts from 7 minutes and up.
black does look way better than the green one.
it seems to leak quite badly, well I know the lav mic is close to it, but that's loud.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #214 of 5,629
i think that maybe there is another embargo on sound quality. Non of the hands on talk a lot about sound quality.

David Carnoy talks a bit about sound quality in his cNet preview:

The problem with the current crop of reviews is that they consider Sony and Bose high end. Rarely anything you can buy from your local Bestbuy is considered Highend. These days only Sony OLED TV is truly high end in Bestbuy.

Exactly. And they don't often move past the major brands for reviews. Take the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1, for example. They're $90 and the best-sounding earbud I've heard under $175, including the Sony WF-1000XM3s. But since they're made by a small British company, many reviewers overlook them.

Same with Chi-fi. How many major reviewer sites look at units like the Lypertek Tevi, which sound damn good for pretty neutral sound at $80? Not many.

hm? Sony and Bose IS high end in the wireless ANC headphones market tho? literally nobody else worth their salt is making a product in that specific market.

Ahem ... Beyerdynamic, Master & Dynamic, AKG, Audio-Technica, Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkins, Shure and Sennheiser all say, "Hold my beer, please."

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #215 of 5,629
thank you for sharing. very interested in his review since I own both the Sony and the HD800s which he seems to be casting as his comparisons. dont like the idea that you can't turn these things off. I pulled my Sonys out the other day for use with my iPad. they must have been sitting for 2-3 months with out use. still had 100% charge. I was impressed.

regardless of what people think of these headphones, I think we all can agree the aftermarket case market for the max will be huge!!! :)
Yeah, it seem rediculous to not be able to turn it off, and have to use the non-practical case for it to turn it off? Makes no sense. Does it just shut off automatically? (edit: it goes into low power mode without it in the case. )Does it have any sensors like the NC700?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #216 of 5,629

Yes, I, too, hope for a nice third party case that also ahs the magnets to induce deep sleep in these... and I'm sure there will be many options, just like with iPhones.

Yeah, it seem rediculous to not be able to turn it off, and have to use the non-practical case for it to turn it off? Makes no sense. Does it just shut off automatically? (edit: it goes into low power mode without it in the case. )Does it have any sensors like the NC700?

It obviously has sensors to detect on-head, and I'd expect it to use this states to at least enter light sleep if not used for some time.

I don't much like the design of the case, so I hope for some other option that also makes it sleep well. My impression is the case is mainly to avoid the cups dinging together when folded flat, scratching the aluminum...

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #217 of 5,629
Ahem ... Beyerdynamic, Master & Dynamic, AKG, Audio-Technica, Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkins, Shure and Sennheiser all say, "Hold my beer, please."
Rather than hiring sound engineers from these companies to design their headphones, they must have hired a designer from Macy's women's department to design their headphone case.

I'm guessing that this will be a fine new addition to the Apple ecosystem enhancing it a bit. But, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk that go on sale today for $329 will sound far better than the Airpods Max.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #218 of 5,629
Rather than hiring sound engineers from these companies to design their headphones, they must have hired a designer from Macy's women's department to design their headphone case.

I'm guessing that this will be a fine new addition to the Apple ecosystem enhancing it a bit. But, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk that go on sale today for $329 will sound far better than the Airpods Max.

You're comparing a wired IEM to an over-ear, noise-cancelling can. Not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'm sure the new Moondrops will be mega. But I'm one of those guys who doesn't like wires when on the move -- which is almost always when I'm listening to music with headphones -- and wants ANC both for external noise and so I don't have to crank the volume as loudly, saving my fading and tinnitus-ravaged ears.

Yes, I understand a well-fitting IEM provides plenty of passive noise cancellation. But I'm also one of those dudes who can't stand the sensation of having something jammed into my ear cartilage or ear canal. I don't like IEMs. It gives me enough jeebies to insert my Earasers musicians' earplugs deep into my canal every time I play with my band or see a show at a club. But those are essential to try to preserve my remaining hearing.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #219 of 5,629

Having heard neither, I obviously can't speak to the actual truth. Yet going by what the HomePod does, I'd not expect Apple to offer an inferior sounding product. They do have the means to follow through, especially regarding the computational audio aspect.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #220 of 5,629
Yes, I, too, hope for a nice third party case that also ahs the magnets to induce deep sleep in these... and I'm sure there will be many options, just like with iPhones.

It obviously has sensors to detect on-head, and I'd expect it to use this states to at least enter light sleep if not used for some time.

I don't much like the design of the case, so I hope for some other option that also makes it sleep well. My impression is the case is mainly to avoid the cups dinging together when folded flat, scratching the aluminum...
i like Hardgraft.com but their price is up there and don’t have retail presence. So getting anything takes long time.

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #221 of 5,629
David Carnoy talks a bit about sound quality in his cNet preview:

At only has wireless non ANC right now their DSR series is good, but again, no ANC, Beyerdynamic's Lagoon is still first attempt, good first jump indeed I think they're trying to have an image change with their recent releases, AKG is too busy helping Samsung tune their headphone to update their still micro USB nc700, I did include sennheiser as the brand I'm looking forward to see what they have cooking up.
really tho, if any of these offerings is good they will sell well already, but they just don't get to be more than "good first attempt at modern wireless anc".

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #222 of 5,629
Nobody did a microphone test comparison yet? I'm curious about somwthing that can be proofed to us with recording, as I don't trust any of these mainstream reviewers for SQ. I dom't believe that guy from CNET.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #223 of 5,629
$549 HandBag lol w/ bluetooth
They should’ve surveyed people who actually commute with headphones. We need more headphones that fold up or have twistable headbands. Also, we need more butt cases because apparently that’s the ChiFi trend.

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #224 of 5,629
Having heard neither, I obviously can't speak to the actual truth. Yet going by what the HomePod does, I'd not expect Apple to offer an inferior sounding product. They do have the means to follow through, especially regarding the computational audio aspect.
Apple is great at creating products that enhance their ecosystem. I'm sure it will sound decent and will have uses we never thought of before. The Airpods Pro did that for me. the only thing I don't do with them is listen to music.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #225 of 5,629
They are intense, definitely demand being listened to while sitting essentially straight up or leaning back (if you’re actively walking around the house picking up kid’s clothes and toys from the floor, for instance, they tend to want to shift forward from their own weight).

The sound is impressive. Don’t worry about this being in the Beats region of a bass-heavy crowd pleaser. Though there is plenty of low end, this is a more nuanced affair, with crisp delivery across the spectrum. I’ve watched movies, listened to music and had phone conversations, all sounded great. The spatial audio feature, for one, is greatly improved by the larger drivers and enclosed environment. Audio panning and positioning from Atmos content is very cleverly done and if you’re watching from an iOS device it really does feel like you’re in a large sound environment with a strong center positioning at the screen. They feel like you’re listening in a room with no headphones on at all, it is really beyond impressive.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/10/this-is-not-a-review-of-apples-new-airpod-max-headphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back