AirPods Max
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,411 of 5,629
May have missed it in this fast going thread, but I found a well hidden option to tune the sound a bit.
Not sure if its the iPhone which is tuned, or the APM, and if you move to for example an iPad the tuning will be there as well..

anyhow, its under accessibility.

B54957A1-B18E-4583-A854-E6CAA1821F31.jpeg
And then custom audio setup, and follow through the steps.

C55E3FF9-0E98-4F79-A730-A6445FCECE33.jpeg

An improvement for me, subtle, but a bit brighter and less bass :)

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,413 of 5,629
Hi has anyone tried the AirPods Max with TIDAL in hifi or Master quality? What if there is a difference in quality with Apple Music? Thanks. Andrew

It won't matter if you are using bluetooth as the bitrate over AAC is capped at 320. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Music sounds better just because it is optomized for AAC from the start but any differences in SQ would probably be attributable to potentially different source material or volume differences etc. There is no advantage to using Tidal hifi with the APM. Going wired may provide some advantages but I think the jury is still out on that.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,414 of 5,629
It won't matter if you are using bluetooth as the bitrate over AAC is capped at 320. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Music sounds better just because it is optomized for AAC from the start but any differences in SQ would probably be attributable to potentially different source material or volume differences etc. There is no advantage to using Tidal hifi with the APM. Going wired may provide some advantages but I think the jury is still out on that.

I saw a review that TIDAL Master for the same song has a better sound than Apple Music with the AirPods Max. I don't understand how that can be possible ... Andrea

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,415 of 5,629
Going wired may provide some advantages but I think the jury is still out on that.
I believe Snazzy’s YouTube review had a quick mention of him doing a blind listening test with a few people and als ost all of them preferred how wired sounded.

Personally I’ve never used a cable in any of my wireless headphones and I’m not about to start with the APM if I ever pick one up. Its one thing if this is your only headphone, but i own wireless gear for the untethered freedom that it brings...I have other wired cans so I can fall back to them if I want sound quality.

Anyway appreciate your impressions on the Panda since I have them and this solidifies that for me the APM isn't worth the the extra 300 particularly on Android.
I’d never get a pair if I were outside the Apple ecosystem, you lose too much on the software side. $550 is almost B&O H95 money. Similarly deluxe construction, and I’m sure they go toe-to-toe audio-wise.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,416 of 5,629
Drop Panda: First Impressions
Panda's came in. Still waiting on K371. Due to reasons of traveling and so on, I will make a comparison for now that just consists of the K361, Panda, and APM.

The instruction booklet for Panda says: "For the very first time, a true audiophile listening experience is no longer reserved for wired headphones. Delivering the lowest distortion ever on a wireless headphone, the Drop + THX Panda puts you closer to your music than you ever thought possible."

Initial listening impression is much closer to the "feel" of the APM than the K361. Where the K361 is balanced according to the Harman curve but lacking some fidelity on first listen, the Panda ventures away from the curve while offering a tuning and fidelity that are both very pleasing indeed.

Compared to the APM on a quick impression comparison, the Panda sound like they are giving back just enough of the 2k-4k range to the listener, where the APM are somewhat recessed there.

The Panda seem to therefor also recover more detail in some areas of the response without having to pump the volume as high as you would need on the APM.

The APM however, when volume is raised to be able to hear those recessed areas, don't bother you when your ears despite the loudness increase - since the most elevated range above baseline is sub-bass (and since it's not sibilant, it's so clear and controlled; the elevated bass isn't a bother but perhaps more fun at this higher volume).

The Drop Panda bring a brighter, more balanced approach to listening that poses a strong challenge at first listen to the clarity of the APM. But then when I go back to the APM, especially at higher volume, they shine in their special way. The luscious, authentic vocals and acoustics return with satisfying clean bass tones dripping off everything.

This will indeed be a battle. More detailed comparisons, track for track, to come!

Oh, the K361 already lost. But more to come!
63044547343__C87D5C83-6D05-4677-BC22-3EFE5C9F091B.jpeg
Panda-1536x689.jpeg
When you say higher volume I wonder what that means. I read where two user reviews said the volume limitations were significant on the APM's. I have owned the Px7's and the PX's from B&W and they were severely limited by volume. Drove me nuts. And for people who would say I don't 'need' to listen at that high of a volume I say bollocks. My hearing is superb, off the charts solid. I like the sound driven. If I'm going to spend $300+ on a set of wired or wireless anything they better push the limits on what I can stand. If they don't forget it. Every IEM I own does. I've bought another set of Px7 for gym use, mowing the yard, walking outdoors and they're good enough but I would love a set that goes to '11'. LOL.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #1,417 of 5,629
I saw a review that TIDAL Master for the same song has a better sound than Apple Music with the AirPods Max. I don't understand how that can be possible ... Andrea
Having owned and put in hours of listening to the APP the difference in Apple Music compared to Tidal was significant. Music doesn't sound better with Apple Music on their hardware. It sounds like Apple Music. Inferior. And the APP for $235 were not justifiable based on volume, sound quality. But, for convenience, they were outstanding.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #1,418 of 5,629
BS. Distinct difference in how Apple Music sounds on APP compared to Tidal. I don't believe APM would be any different.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,419 of 5,629
Regular Airpods over Koss PortaPro's?! wow, I've heard it all now, the regular AirPods don't even seal in your ear? I think a list like this really shows how different peoples preferences are.

Koss PortaPros are the most overrated headphone in the history of headphones.
Seriously, in my opinion, they’re awful. I have no idea why they get so much attention when the KSC-75s are a billion times better in every conceivable way AND much cheaper.

PortaPros are pure bass bloat. Listening to them gives me flashbacks of the old Beats from before Apple acquired them and moved them away from that trademark Beats sound that we headphone lovers have been scolding for 15 years.

PortaPros have that plastic switch to angle the drivers outward a little, which reduces the bass a bit, but it’s still awful. The sound quality is terrible and then when you combine that with how uncomfortable they are, how cheap they feel, and how annoying the patented hair-snagger headband is, and I have absolutely no idea why people like this headphone.

Regarding the original AirPods, if you can get them to sit properly in your ears, they actually sound quite good for consumer headphones. If they don’t fit your ears, then there’s no bass and they sound like tin cans, but if they fit your ear shape (or if you put on foams to make them sit more securely), the bass is passable and the mids and highs are both quite good for consumer earbuds.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,420 of 5,629
How do you do a factory reset?

Hold the digital crown button and ANC button for 15 seconds, the light will flash amber. This is a hard reboot for the headphones (there is no soft reboot). If you hold longer the light should flash white and that is a factory reset. Reddit says a hard reboot should be enough to resolve this issue.

The problem with the comparison isn't your opinion, it's that it's just not a useful comparison. Both are headphones but that's really where the comparisons end. They serve completely different purposes and they are used in completely different settings. It couldn't be more apples to oranges. I think it's fine if you enjoy the APM more in certain situations the same way someone may enjoy driving their SUV over their sports car in certain situations. But I wouldn't compare an Escalade to a 911 even though they are both vehicles.

Anyway appreciate your impressions on the Panda since I have them and this solidifies that for me the APM isn't worth the the extra 300 particularly on Android. This thread has made me appreciate the Panda more. They are a tremendous bargain. I was going to sell them and get an APM but I think I'm going to hold off particularly with the DSP app on the way. It could really make the Panda that much better.

The Panda DSP app has been on its way for months now :frowning2:

Honestly, assuming the mastering is identical (it may not be), there should be little difference between the AAC of Apple Music and the lossless of Tidal. Some have stated that there has to be a re-encoding of AAC before being sent to the headphones (even if the source is AAC), so that in itself might actually give Tidal an edge as it would mean that Apple Music would see a lossy to lossy conversion at some point.

Read paragraph exactly above your quoted post.

When you say higher volume I wonder what that means. I read where two user reviews said the volume limitations were significant on the APM's. I have owned the Px7's and the PX's from B&W and they were severely limited by volume. Drove me nuts. And for people who would say I don't 'need' to listen at that high of a volume I say bollocks. My hearing is superb, off the charts solid. I like the sound driven. If I'm going to spend $300+ on a set of wired or wireless anything they better push the limits on what I can stand. If they don't forget it. Every IEM I own does. I've bought another set of Px7 for gym use, mowing the yard, walking outdoors and they're good enough but I would love a set that goes to '11'. LOL.

I'd imagine that it's possible that he's matching volume around the 2-4k range vs matching volume around the 1k range. From my experience this would likely make the APM more sibilant and its treble more edgy and somewhat smeared in contrast.

Having owned and put in hours of listening to the APP the difference in Apple Music compared to Tidal was significant. Music doesn't sound better with Apple Music on their hardware. It sounds like Apple Music. Inferior. And the APP for $235 were not justifiable based on volume, sound quality. But, for convenience, they were outstanding.

I felt the APP offered decent sound quality, probably a better value than the APM to be honest (percentage, not overall price). When I first heard them the first thing that came to mind was that it sounded like Apple targeted the DF neutral target for them. It's not very popular among consumers, but made the headphones sound very good. A lot of consumers probably hated that tuning though.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,421 of 5,629
BS. Distinct difference in how Apple Music sounds on APP compared to Tidal. I don't believe APM would be any different.
Explain how please because both are transmitting via AAC. Only possibility is that Tidal is using better source material but even still it's getting compressed into AAC. I'm not doubting you I just don't understand how it's possible.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,422 of 5,629
Explain how please because both are transmitting via AAC. Only possibility is that Tidal is using better source material but even still it's getting compressed into AAC. I'm not doubting you I just don't understand how it's possible.
And to add to this a bunch of people up thread have argued that Apple music via 256 AAC is audibly transparent. I don't agree with them either but since I read it on the internet it must be true right?

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,423 of 5,629

I quoted you above, but someone said that Apple Music AAC is transcribed to WAV, then sent through the BT protocol which re-converted to AAC being streamed over to the output device. Then the AP will then do it's DSP on it and play it. This AAC -> WAV -> AAC would have a lossy-to-lossy conversion if true. Tidal would be lossless -> WAV -> AAC which would be lossless -> lossy conversion which is technically better than the lossy-to-lossy conversion.

Even if the above isn't true (I'm not certain whether or not it is, but it is believable), there can also be differences in mastering standards which can have one sound better than the other.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #1,424 of 5,629
I quoted you above, but someone said that Apple Music AAC is transcribed to WAV, then sent through the BT protocol which re-converted to AAC being streamed over to the output device. Then the AP will then do it's DSP on it and play it. This AAC -> WAV -> AAC would have a lossy-to-lossy conversion if true. Tidal would be lossless -> WAV -> AAC which would be lossless -> lossy conversion which is technically better than the lossy-to-lossy conversion.

Even if the above isn't true (I'm not certain whether or not it is, but it is believable), there can also be differences in mastering standards which can have one sound better than the other.
My understanding was just the opposite. Since AAC is native to the iphone it never had to convert which makes it superior on an iphone versus for expample android. Someone may have a better understanding than me. I think if you are hearing differences it probably it due to the source material and perhaps gain difference as you say.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #1,425 of 5,629
My understanding was just the opposite. Since AAC is native to the iphone it never had to convert which makes it superior on an iphone versus for expample android. Someone may have a better understanding than me. I think if you are hearing differences it probably it due to the source material and perhaps gain difference as you say.

Apple just has a much better AAC implementation. Many falsely believe that since Apple Music is AAC, that it gets passed direct via AAC via bluetooth to the headphones. As has been stated above, it does decode the AAC, mix in any system sounds, before encoding all outgoing bluetooth audio via AAC to the headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back