AirPods Max
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #991 of 5,629
DMS just put his video up.

Actually not a bad review in my opinion He says they’re slightly the best sounding wireless anc headphones ever. Even over the B&O H95 which shocked me. He was definitely down on a few things, mainly comfort and target market. I wouldn’t say it was bias though.
You should watch this :smile: :
Now this review I have no respect for. It’s almost like he made up in his mind that he was going to bash these. Maybe to get hits? Saying the ANC is the worse ever is just nuts. All the problems he was proclaiming to have sounds like a defective pair. Any reviewer worth anything typically knows if you’re having numerous issues you might want to exchange them before proclaiming they suck and the ANC doesn’t work. Numerous other inconsistencies in his take that’s not even worth listing. If he had labeled this video first impressions then that would be one thing, instead he proceeded to throw a temper tantrum on video.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #992 of 5,629
So dms calls sound quality is on par with $100 closed backs perhaps a little worse. Yet people are making absurd claims that it rivals their desktop rigs, selling audezes...

Hang on. One person says one thing and it’s totally correct without any sort of dispute. Someone else says something else and it’s ‘absurd’.

Personally I struggle with anyone thinking that a Bose 700 or SonyXM3/4 competes with these on sound alone, let alone build, ease of use etc. The Sony’s sound particularly poor to me.

What does that prove? Nothing. Someone else thinking the exact opposite is no more or less valid. They’re just opinions based on what our ears like.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #993 of 5,629
So dms calls sound quality is on par with $100 closed backs perhaps a little worse. Yet people are making absurd claims that it rivals their desktop rigs, selling audezes...

People need to try them and compare with what they have. Return policies do exist.

I wouldn’t trust anyone’s ears completely but my own with which headphones sound better.

I’ve also seen reviews saying AiPods Pro are the worst truly wireless earbuds. Then DMS in his review say the AirPods Pro are as good or better than the APM...but then the APM are better than all noise canceling headphones? Things get very mixed up when you start to compare things from one reviewer to another.

At the end of the day you have to just keep what you like, try to convey that to others, and hope they try it for themselves. I listen to what reviewers have to say, and I’ve even now bought the panda and K361 because of high praise for audio quality. I will return all but one that I want to keep.

I will be comparing these headphones and sharing with you all what I find with my ears. But please don’t think what I say, or what anyone says, is going to translate for you necessarily. It’s just a starting point for a conversation.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #994 of 5,629
It looks like the first of (what will hopefully be many) 3rd party cases for the AirPods Max has been announced. No clue what they look like, but they'll drop on Christmas day. This is by Waterfield which makes somewhat pricey cases, but the one I have for my Switch is very well made.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #996 of 5,629
Every Apple product have an Apple tax. Not in your books, but in Apple's books certainly :)
Well, if we're dipping our toes in that pool, there is also a Sony tax, a Focal tax, a Stax tax, a HiFiMan tax... are you sure you want to go there?

For what it's worth, these are expensive, but not egregiously so, in the world of high-end audio. I can't speak for the company's aspirations, but ostensibly, they appear to be bridging the chasm between the consumer and audiophile markets. With the platform of a well-built headphone with loads of technical wizardry within, the addition of top-notch sound quality is all it takes to achieve its goal, IMO.

The proof is in the pudding, and until I listen to an AirPods Max, they are not standing trial on the basis of sound alone.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #997 of 5,629
Yeah DMS does have me looking at the K361s now lol. All in all, a fair review, I think. He did mention the APMs were the best sounding ANC can out of everything he's tried, so it wasn't like he was relentlessly bagging on them.

edit: Also, really, the APPs aren't half bad. Very impressive sound considering their super-slim form factor.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #998 of 5,629

Why oh why are you taking DMS word as gospel? Ive literally seen videos where he compares objectively superb headphones to 5$ ones, no hyperbole. He says dramatic, downright false stuff all the time to make a splash

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #999 of 5,629
Well, if we're dipping our toes in that pool, there is also a Sony tax, a Focal tax, a Stax tax, a HiFiMan tax... are you sure you want to go there?

For what it's worth, these are expensive, but not egregiously so, in the world of high-end audio. I can't speak for the company's aspirations, but ostensibly, they appear to be bridging the chasm between the consumer and audiophile markets. With the platform of a well-built headphone with loads of technical wizardry within, the addition of top-notch sound quality is all it takes to achieve its goal, IMO.

The proof is in the pudding, and until I listen to an AirPods Max, they are not standing trial on the basis of sound alone.

I disagree on the tax part, but hey we can agree to disagree.

In the world of high-end audio, 600€ is peanuts. But the APM is NOT high end audio. In the world of ANC BT cans 600€ is outlandishly high.

I have no doubts Apple made a careful analysis on how to price the product to maximize profit - they are very good at that, no wonder they are a trn$ company. And if people are gullible enough to pony up 600€+ - well, fools and their money are proverbially easy to part.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,000 of 5,629
I knew this would happen, once a few 'better known' reviewers start giving their impressions on these it was always going to upset a particular audience, people want the APMs to be the second coming, wireless HD800s lol, I was always a little dubious.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,001 of 5,629
I new this would happen, once a few 'better known' reviewers start giving their impressions on these it was always going to upset a particular audience, people want the APMs to be the second coming, wireless HD800s lol, I was always a little dubious.

They definitely don’t seem like wireless 800’s. But they aren’t so surprisingly far off for my ears, to obtaining the joy high end offers. Depending on taste many people will prefer them over some high end offerings.

But then again, there are headphones classified as midfi, according to a price of $200-600 or so, that listeners think sound more enjoyable than the hifi options - according to price.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,002 of 5,629

In the world of high-end audio, 600€ is peanuts. But the APM is NOT high end audio. In the world of ANC BT cans 600€ is outlandishly high.

I have no doubts Apple made a careful analysis on how to price the product to maximize profit - they are very good at that, no wonder they are a trn$ company. And if people are gullible enough to pony up 600€+ - well, fools and their money are proverbially easy to part.

Well their profit margin must be quite large as these are made in Vietnam unlike hand made Headphones made in the USA by the likes of Campfire Audio and Dan Clark Audio.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,003 of 5,629
They definitely don’t seem like wireless 800’s. But they aren’t so surprisingly far off for my ears, to obtaining the joy high end offers. Depending on taste many people will prefer them over some high end offerings.

But then again, there are headphones classified as midfi, according to a price of $200-600 or so, that listeners think sound more enjoyable than the hifi options - according to price.

Well that I agree on, of all my headphones, people like my Koss Porta Pro's the most, they are wowed by them.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,004 of 5,629

Have you listened APM's? If not, your opinions are just your opinions. Nothing else. Empty speech.
How do you know APM is not highend audio? Not expensive enough? Has BT? Soundquality, that you cannot judge if you haven't even listen them.

I'm not saying APM's are good, or bad. Haven't heard them.
I just dont understand people who judges things, though they dont have any own experience. I think that person is a fool. Big time.
Not who pays 600€ for headphones. :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,005 of 5,629
Well APM are polarizing indeed :p
I don't get how tense discussions get but it was bound to end up like this...

I do enjoy them even if I have much more higher end stuff at hand, it's highly convenient for movies and shows with great ANC and it's way better for music than my Sony WH1000 XM3. Yeah it's more expensive but it's justified by a more balanced and mature tuning, last but not least build is nowhere near the same league, although the APM is a bit too heavy for my taste).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back