AirPod Max Or Go Bigger?
Mar 28, 2021 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cpang100

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I’m a noob to audio. I’ve been thinking about getting the AirPod Max but at that price, I’m starting to wonder if I should look into more premium headphones.
To give you context, I own V-Moda Crossfade Wireless 2, Sony XM1000M3, Beats Solo Pro and AirPods.
APM with the price of 549.99, I’m starting to think I should jump into a portable DAC and some nice open back headphones.
Judging from my current gear, should I try and get into a DAC like Fiio BTR5 and a decent open back headphone like Focal Clear? or would the AirPod Max be the better and simpler choice?
I’m just looking to get more detail out of my Spotify app but might upgrade to Tidal for the better quality music.
I appreciate it everyone.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 6
I would go for a decent Dap fiio m11 or dx160 for now or get a nice open back as the hifiman sundara.
At the moment the sundara is on sale and for $550 you can get a DAp + sundara.
That’s amazing audio there for the price that blows the airpods away by miles.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello everyone,
I’m a noob to audio. I’ve been thinking about getting the AirPod Max but at that price, I’m starting to wonder if I should look into more premium headphones.
To give you context, I own V-Moda Crossfade Wireless 2, Sony XM1000M3, Beats Solo Pro and AirPods.
APM with the price of 549.99, I’m starting to think I should jump into a portable DAC and some nice open back headphones.
Judging from my current gear, should I try and get into a DAC like Fiio BTR5 and a decent open back headphone like Focal Clear? or would the AirPod Max be the better and simpler choice?
I’m just looking to get more detail out of my Spotify app but might upgrade to Tidal for the better quality music.
I appreciate it everyone.
go for apm.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Okay. First post here. Brand-spankin-new member. I have the Apple AirPod Max. I find them enjoyable and pretty good for wireless, but I wouldn't put them in audiophile category. I also have a pair of Meze 99 Classics and Dan Clark Ether 2. I live on a small ranch and have a cabinet shop. If I'm working on something where I'm at little risk of cutting a limb off, the wireless is appreciated.
I just did a very quick comparison, far from rigorous, between Meze 99 and AirPods Max. Listened to the opening of Beyond Belief (Elvis Costello, Imperial Bedroom). The Max sound pretty pretty good. Enjoyable for tooling around. The Meze are the real deal, in my less than expert opinion. So much more clarity, range, instrument separation and quiet between notes (darkness where it should be).
The Meze 99 were my first nice headphones, and at around $300, quite a deal I'd say. Don't think price has changed much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back