Airhead 4.5v.... thoughts and questions...
Aug 22, 2002 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
ok, i have a 4.5v AH... i use rechargable alkalines 1.5v and rechargable NIMH 1.3v... the NIMH sound just as good as the 1.5v to me on my 64ohm 280s... but when the batteries are dead, the last battery is still full, with the first really dead, the second in between. .. huh?? and my AH doesnt really sound much better then my Rio 250 headphone out.. barely better i think. a little more defined treble, and just a hair tighter bass. and the crossfeed. i find myself listening to my rio out of the headphone amp in the rio more and more often, because the AH is just weighing me down, and the crossfeed is the only major noticeable difference in sound. is the Line-out on the rio messed up or am i crazy, or is my AH defective, or am i expecting too much or what?

Aug 22, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 22
I would suggest directing this question direct to Headroom on the Headroom forum section here at Head-Fi.

Aug 23, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 22
The line out on the Rio sucks. When I first got my Creek I was using a Rio 100 and was scratching my head. Changed the source (Sony D-14 docked) and the difference was remarkable. In volume, Creek went from 2 to 10 o'clock position and the sound was dramatically different. BTW I used 1800mah NiMH AA's in my TAH 3V and they worked very well.

Aug 23, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
The line out on the Rio sucks. When I first got my Creek I was using a Rio 100 and was scratching my head. Changed the source (Sony D-14 docked) and the difference was remarkable. In volume, Creek went from 2 to 10 o'clock position and the sound was dramatically different. BTW I used 1800mah NiMH AA's in my TAH 3V and they worked very well.

Yep. Crap in, crap out.

Aug 23, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 22
dang. i was really hoping it wasnt that
frown.gif
. shoulda got the sony
frown.gif
. i hate rio! gahh. i have no money to get an ipod either or something else. ohwell. geuss im screwed. thanks
frown.gif
. why cant these idiot pcdp designers make a decent pcdp!?!?!?
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 22
i really hate to give up the mp3 cd feature. i am NOT going to carry around 150 cds everywhere i go
frown.gif
. and I just finished ripping my WHOLE collection of cds (150 ?).

we need to form one big army of email spammers to all the electronic companies telling them, especialy BOSE, how angry we are, and that they need to make decent fricken products, or else...

hate list:

1. BOSE
2. Panasonic pcdps
3. RIO
4. RCA
5. Phillips electronics
6. colby

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

maybe i should just sell my truck and buy an ipod and etys...

Aug 23, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
we need to form one big army of email spammers to all the electronic companies telling them, especialy BOSE, how angry we are, and that they need to make decent fricken products, or else...

hate list:

1. BOSE
2. Panasonic pcdps
3. RIO
4. RCA
5. Phillips electronics
6. colby

can we add sony to that list? http://www.audioreview.com/DVD,Playe...3_1587crx.aspx

Aug 24, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 22
sorry about last night, it was late and i was tired... but how could i forget sony?? even though there are the R10 and V6, those have been in production for a while, and are not their "new crop". are there any good electronics brands out there?? anything?

money money money;
where does it go?
all down the drain,
to people we dont know.

i guess ill just have to live with what i have for now though. i kinda need my truck right now.. but maybe some day...

Aug 24, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 22
a1,
Well, it may be the rio...., but in my opinion, Airhead is not any good either. I used to own the airhead 3V for a while, and I had to sell them after a week...b/c I couldn't really stand its sound quality. To me, the AH sound dull, and very grainy. My source was the Sony D-303 (amazing line out) and honestly speaking, my d-303 headphone out actually sound better than the Airhead. To me, airhead is not worth it. I used the airhead with HD-580. Try getting a new DIY amp will be a much better choice. You don't even have to get the META42, the Cmoy is good enough to toss around the crappy airhead. Get rid of it soon and contact JMT or Tangent for a Cmoy.

Purk

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 22
ill try it tonight with all of my other pcdps and see. thanks for all the help. and i remember now that the rio 100 sounds totally different then the 250... so im not sure.

Aug 25, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 22
A1,
Don't forget to let us know.

Purk
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by isotope240
can we add sony to that list? http://www.audioreview.com/DVD,Playe...3_1587crx.aspx

Haha...
biggrin.gif
Sony has NEVER had decent quality control with its low-end consumer audio/video components. At least not since the mid-1980's.

Back on topic, I have a Total AH 4.5V myself, which I find myself more into. None of the headphone outputs built onto the PCDPs that I own - not even that of my broken-down Panasonic SL-CT470 - even come close. (I've learned that by listening to my Etymotic ER-4S canalphones directly into the headphone jack of that Panasonic; while lesser-sounding headphones mask the distortion at higher volume levels, the Etys ruthlessly reveal such distortions - especially in the highs.)

I can't speak the same of the regular Airhead 4.5V; its output is rolled off in the highs even compared to my Total Airhead, let alone to the higher-priced Headroom amps. And that's with the crossfeed circuitry turned off.

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 22
Eagle,
I would agree with the TAH, but not the airhead. I still confirm my opinion.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back