Air Purifier Advice Needed!
May 5, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #16 of 24
I have on overly dusty Dorm room, and I got a HEPA filter from SEARS. It has a pref ilter, which is significanlty less in price than changing the HEPA filter all the time. It works very well, and sure helped to clean up the air in here.

May 5, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 24
I remember reading or seeing something on tv about ionic air purifiers on tv, I dont remember the source but in my memory it sounded like a good factual source, it said that most all particles floating in the air at a normal home have an electric charge. And that ionic air purifiers used an opposite charge to attract and catch the particles and that ionic air purifiers were good for removing odors.

And as for sharper image i know they suck. If i ever see a sharper image product im halfway interested in I can always google it and fine a better and/or cheaper product.

May 7, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Addict
Any comments on those ionic filterless type of air purifiers?

I am looking at buying one of those, I like the idea of not having to buy filters or hear a whirring fan.

Those ionize the dust charging the particles so they later stick to the walls. Ugly. Better get one with a metallic filter so that the dust attaches to the metal plates in it and you can wash it off. All the effective ones have a fan; you need one you can live with.

May 17, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 24
Sorry for the late update! I forgot about this thread! We took a took a lot of your recommendations into consideration and researched them all. But in the end, as luck would have it, my fiance's mom has a $600 Oreck air purifier that she doesn't use at all! She's going to give it to us!

I'll let you guys know how it is after we receive it. Could be in a few months though. I think she's bringing it up when she comes to visit for my fiance's graduation. Thanks head-fi'ers!

May 17, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
But in the end, as luck would have it, my fiance's mom has a $600 Oreck air purifier that she doesn't use at all! She's going to give it to us!

FYI, Consumer Reports has the Oreck Professional Signature Air8S on their "Not Recommended" list. Not that CR is the end all, be all, in rating consumer products but according to their tests the Oreck is one of those models that may actually decrease air quality as it may increase ozone levels. It also does a poor job of removing dust from the air. Maybe that's why she doesn't use it.

May 18, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
FYI, Consumer Reports has the Oreck Professional Signature Air8S on their "Not Recommended" list. Not that CR is the end all, be all, in rating consumer products but according to their tests the Oreck is one of those models that may actually decrease air quality as it may increase ozone levels. It also does a poor job of removing dust from the air. Maybe that's why she doesn't use it.

Doh, I'd heard this about some air purifiers but nothing about Oreck. Actually she doesn't use it because my fiance's older sister bought it for her as a present and she just never wanted to bother! I'll look into it though, thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated.

May 18, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 24
Hey, if it doesn't cost you anything might as well give it a shot. The one that was publicized for really not doing anything was the Sharper Image product.

May 22, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 24
New update!

My fiance and I picked up an Ionic Pro for just under $100. We figured we'd just test it out since we have absolutely no experience with air purifiers--if we don't like it we'll return it.

We get home and plug it in, and it's amazing! Both our noses are instantly clear for the first time in months! The room did smell of ozone, which I was okay with, but made my fiance nauseous. Because of this, and reading some bad reviews, we decided we're going to return it.

But then we picked up a used 2-month-old Honeywell 50300 for $45 from craigslist! The thing is the size of a 5 gallon bucket! I walked into the seller's home and my first thought was, "R2D2!" First impression: it's big. Second impression: it's loud! Third impression: nose is relatively clear (perhaps not as clear as with the Ionic Pro), but there's absolutely no scent emitted. Looks like the Honeywell is a keeper.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back