Air pressure causing sound to cut out?
Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aphelion

New Head-Fier
Just picked up the Klipsch S4 and I'm having an intermittent issue I can't determine is caused by a defect or just physics of the IEM's.

Whenever I press one side far into the ear canal during insertion, rotate to adjust or sometimes move them around with head or jaw movements, that side cuts out completely for a fraction of a second. I can reproduce the cutting out only when the plastic buds are attached and I press tightly against the opening with a finger.

In both cases sound is always restored after cutting out. I'm wondering if the cutting out is a warning sign of a defect with the earphones or if it's possible that a pressure change is causing the IEM's to stop putting out sound momentarily. Thoughts?

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 3

aphelion

New Head-Fier
After reading more about driver flex it definitely is a component to what is happening. I think the driver on that side has been displaced enough from flexing that it's much easier for it to cut out than the other side. Reversing the sides, the same driver cuts out on the other ear, where the other driver does not cut out at all.

I consider that defective enough to return for a new pair, and with all the knowledge from this forum it'll be a much higher quality one. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread