aimee mann -- 'lost in space'
Jul 30, 2002 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

arnett

Consigliere
Aimee Mann’s lost in space comes out on August 27. I know it’s weird talking about an album that’s not out yet, but I’ve just heard a promotional copy of lost in space. But you can hear streaming digital of all the songs in their entirety (albeit mono) at her web site, www.aimeemann.com .

Lost in space is a masterpiece. Please note I don’t throw words like masterpiece around lightly. It’s the best new album I’ve heard in years and years. It’s possibly the best NEW album I’ve ever heard. I thought bachelor no. 2, her last album, was good. I didn’t think she could grow that much as an artist. But she has.

I’m simply stunned by lost in space. Shocked would be a better word. I hope this album is as commercially successful as it will be critically. Such an intelligent songwriter deserves recognition, fame, and fortune.

Please check out her web site and buy the CD on august 27. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

B00006AAJF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 28
Cool, I'll have to check this out, thanks! In what ways would you say this album showcases her growth as an artist?

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 28
Gee, thanks for the specifics!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
But I'm glad to hear it's a good recording, there just aren't enough of those being made these days.

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 28
dhwilkin,

well, it's hard to say how good the recording is in terms of sound quality. but the mixing and other production is great -- particularly on 'real bad news,' and 'lost in space’ (I’m listening to that one right now
biggrin.gif
).

the stereo promotional copy sounds good. i would imagine the actual CD will sound better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 28
Actually I liked her much better when with "til tuesday" her subsequent solo CDs always get great reviews and I get sucked into buying them only to be dissappointed.
-whatever
-with stupid
ended up selling these and gave up on her.

I do like all three of the Til Tuesday Cds, very under rated IMO, I never got them till recently because I thought it would just be some new wave fluff........I was wrong.

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 28
i've dug up some on-line mini-reviews:

mtv.com
Given a set of trials and tribulation that could have been created by Charles Dickens, that fact that Aimee Mann keeps recording albums is something of a surprise, though certainly not an unwelcome one. With her record label problems behind her, LOST IN SPACE is her fourth solo album (not including her contributions to the MAGNOLIA soundtrack). The tracks combine an acoustic sensibility that highlighting Mann's expressive guitar work with occasional an understated electric edge that includes shimmering distortion, all in the service of her rich voice and eloquent lyrics. Standouts include: "Lost in Space," which features a slow, rolling beat and an insistent string section; "Pavlov's Bell," with its alternately plaintive and searing guitar accents; "Invisible Ink," a quietly introspective track that builds to include an orchestral backing; and the comparatively uptempo "The Moth," with background instrumentation from harpsichords and keyboards.

Amazon.com
Dividing her time between waging war on the music industry and writing sublime pop songs, Aimee Mann shows on her fourth solo album that she is equally adept at both. "Let's hear it for guys like me," she sings over the lilting rhythms and stylish guitar work of "Guys Like Me." Her case for toppling the corporate structure is airtight; just check her Web site for the latest bulletin. Her music, meanwhile, keeps getting better. The success of the Magnolia soundtrack may have restored her confidence following the record company strife that followed her first two solo releases--Whatever and I'm With Stupid--but the wounds have not healed. "All the perfect drugs and superheroes wouldn't be enough to bring me up to zero," the former 'Til Tuesday singer imparts over the layered, lush tones of the opening "Humpty Dumpty." Meanwhile, on the emotionally distressed "It's Not," she muses over a forlorn 16-piece string section, "I keep waiting for a change but I don't know for what." It could be the prettiest, most polite battle cry ever.

Jul 30, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 28
I like Aimee Mann, and own or have owned much of her output, but her entire focus as a songwriter seems to be be put-downs of her past boyfriends, blaming them for her failed relationships. She definitely seems to be in the "all men are evil" camp. Her very first single "Voices carry" is about an evil dude. Her album "I'm With Stupid" is about an evil dude. "Bachelor #2" is sprinkled with more of the same. Half the songs on her Ultimate Collection deal with evil dudes who did her wrong.

She never seems to take any responsibility for her bad relationships in any of her songs. She comes off as somewhat sanctimonious and superior. Note to Aimee Mann-- "stop dating losers".
wink.gif
She would be a more well-rounded artiste if she would admit to a few flaws now and then and maybe concede that's she at least *somewhat* resposnsible for her failed relationshipos. As it is her songs are just screeds against evil men.

I don't know, just a pet peeve of mine with her. Anyone else notice this tendency in her songwriting or is it just me?

Nevertheless, I'll probably check this one out, too.

markl

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 28
markl,

well, considering how much she writes like elvis costello (not to mention her collaborations with him), i'm not surprised you like aimee mann.

i think you'll love lost in space. the production reminds me of imperial bedroom in many ways: very lush and complex with beautiful orchestration on many tracks.

lost in space also has a bit of a beatles-esque production to it. and included on the promotional CD is a cover of lucy in the sky with diamonds. this is not on the regular CD, however.

in terms of lyrics, this new album doesn't seem to have much 'men are evil' sentiment. it actually has many drug references.
confused.gif

i was thinking of the last NEW CD release that was this good. it was radiohead's ok computer.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I like Aimee Mann, and own or have owned much of her output, but her entire focus as a songwriter seems to be be put-downs of her past boyfriends, blaming them for her failed relationships. She definitely seems to be in the "all men are evil" camp.

She never seems to take any responsibility for her bad relationships in any of her songs. She comes off as somewhat sanctimonious and superior. Note to Aimee Mann-- "stop dating losers".
wink.gif
She would be a more well-rounded artiste if she would admit to a few flaws now and then and maybe concede that's she at least *somewhat* resposnsible for her failed relationshipos. As it is her songs are just screeds against evil men.

I don't know, just a pet peeve of mine with her. Anyone else notice this tendency in her songwriting or is it just me?

I agree with you, although I have not heard all her solo records. I noticed this tendency on "Everything's Different Now", where it seemed like she dumped the blame for her misery squarely at the feet of her ex (Jules Shear?)

Definitely a 'woe is me' attutude prevailent on that record. Unlike Annie Lennox who would seem somewhat sympathetic and accept her part of the responsibility in the demise of a relationship.

Aug 27, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 28
just a reminder to those who expressed interest: lost in space comes out today.

the album has consistently gotten 4 out of 5 stars in the press. that actually kind of confuses me. to these ears, lost in space is a clear 5 out of 5. oh well . . .

Aug 28, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 28
Got the CD yesterday on my lunch hour. Played it immediately on my crappy work computer which had the volume level turned down to background level. It was not until I got home last night for a more serious listen on my "main rig". I did not have a chance to listen to the entire CD at home yet (only up thru track #8), but first impressions are very good. Production quality is definitely high, and a pleasure to listen to. Yeah, some interesting artwork and comics.

I may post more impressions after a more serious listen. But, in short, it is definitely worth the buy. My guess is that old fans and potential new ones will not be dissappointed.

(wish her cover of LITSWD was on this CD too!)

Aug 29, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 28
I'll have to pick this one up. I heard some of it playing in a record store yesterday and it sounded pretty good.

I just hope it's good and depressing lyrically. Aimee Mann is a great spokesperson for the downtrodden victims of bad relationships. She deserves credit for being able to emote this in her songs. I expect this from her.

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 28
Did anyone else get the bonus disk? Haven't listened to it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back