aimee mann -- 'lost in space'
Aug 29, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Did anyone else get the bonus disk?

Bonus disk? Only one CD in my packaging. What else did you get?
confused.gif

BTW, more casual listening has yielded more beneficial results. She sounds so sweet thru my Senns+Clou.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
confused.gif

the bonus disc came with the regular CD when pre-ordered from aimeemann.com. the bonus disc is the CD single of humpty dumpty, the first single. it also includes the song nightmare girl (not included on the album) which is one of my favorites.

as to the sound quality, it sounds exactly the same as on my advance copy. it's a bit overcompressed. of course, that's so commonplace these days. damn mastering engineers!
mad.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
confused.gif

I got my bonus disk at Tower -- it included "Humpty Dumpty", "Nightmare Girl" and "Backfire".

Aug 30, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 28
Damn, I want me one!
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 28
I've been a fan of Aimee for quite a while, and I think Lost in Space is her best effort yet. Her troubles with the big record labels remind me of Ani DiFranco (sp?).

She is on tour and I'm hoping to catch her in Boston in early October.

When I first heard the song "High on Sunday 51", I assumed she was making a verbal play with the words "heroin" (the drug) and "herione" (the female hero). I was a bit disappointed when I read the lyrics and found only the drug reference...

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 28
wow this thread is old! I still remember reading this and only just got around to purchasing lost in space on SACD. Quite like it, sounds like heather nova to me.

anyway, thinking of picking up another of her CD, should i go the forgotten arm or bachelor no2
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 28
Will since it's 2005
wink.gif
, so what do you guys think of 'The Forgotten Arm'? For some reason after two listens I just haven't generated enough interest to giving it another listen. Will have to try, but so far its...

1. Magnolia Soundtrack (much better than the film)
2. Lost in Space
3. Forgotten Arm

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #24 of 28
Jul 15, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #25 of 28
I'd definitely go with the 'Magnolia' soundtrack next if I were you.

I have 'The Forgotten Arm' and really like it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
so what do you guys think of 'The Forgotten Arm'?

I love it. Basically it's 'Lost in Space - part deux'. Not exactly ground breaking for her, and doesn't jump out & grab you on first listen. It definitely begs for a focused session.

But if you liked LIS and clamor for more, then TFA is just your ticket. It may become your favorite after all. The last cut, "Beautiful" is...well, just absolutely beautiful!

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 28
IMO the forgotten arm is (soundwise) less than LIS.
It just doesn't have the moodiness that I so love with LIS. The songs of the new one are great, as always. What is truly missed is the input from Michael Lokwood, on guitars and production wise. If there's anything wrong with her latest record it's the production (IMO).

A few days ago I went to see her live show, which was ok but lacked a bit of fun. I hate it when everyone just stands there sort of motionless and plays the songs.
rolleyes.gif

Veto

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #28 of 28
I have to say I was a bit disappointed with The Forgotten Arm since I loved Lost in Space so much (I own the redbook version, the SACD and the Special Edition of LIS
biggrin.gif
). They're completely different animals (although they both are cohesive and have a theme, be it lyrically or musically) production-wise and sound-wise: TFA was made pretty fast and the idea was to sound like a live band whereas LIS had all kinds of space noises and basically more production. Needless to say it would be boring to make the same record twice... But TFA just doesn't feel like a masterpiece like LIS or Bachelor no.2. Sure TFA's has its moments (especially Video, Little Bombs, King of the Jailhouse and Beautiful) but it just lacks that certain something. Nevertheless Aimee is a great singer-songwriter and there's so much good stuff on TFA that outshines the bad that I can't really complain.

EDIT: Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto
If there's anything wrong with her latest record it's the production.

My thoughts exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back