AIAIAI TMA-1
Oct 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #946 of 1,345
They are bassy, but they are not overly bassy. Id say they are just a tad bassier than the HD650's, but they are not bass cannons like the XB500's. Bass quality may be the best ive heard for a headphone. They are deep, punchy, and fast all at the same time.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #948 of 1,345

Quote:
Just 2 questions:
1. I guess the headphones are engineered in denmark, but where are they produced?
2. Does someone know how they compare to the small AKG K 450?

Designed in Denmark, Made in China (much like most of the rest of the products in the world)

As for #2 I have no idea... Perhaps someone else can answer that. I have not yet had the chance to demo many AKG models.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #950 of 1,345
hey guys, been having the tma for almost a year or maybe more.
this picture is my setup for home use. this setup gives me more warmth overall, the highs got  more open w/ treble controls, the bass got more impact "felt more in your face"
summary- more full bodied and very colorful 
L3000.gif

only problem is the small audible hiss when on idle

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #951 of 1,345
now if only that setup was portable, haha
very nice though

I just got my TMA-1s from the post office yesterday. Very satisfied :D although not amazed.
Although I can understand where people get the idea that these sound muddy.

A lot of my (non-audiophile) friends tried it out and said they were pretty good.
My girlfriend insists that her Beats Studios are still a bit better (said they sounded more clear and open)

Right now, I think its just cause I dont have a good source to test these from. Best source I have is my PC's Creative X-Fi soundcard out to a mini one tube amp (the $50 one on ebay, forgot what its called).

My portable source is my HTC G2. Thinking about getting a Sansa Clip again (lost my first one) and trying it out, but I'm not sure there will be a difference.. hm.
Also tempted to get one of the iBasso portable amps (cheapest one is $120 i think)
Opinions?

Right now my plan is to burn these in (the guy I bought it from said he got it in august and never really used it much, which shows cause these are pretty perfect condition) and to make a new cord for it.
Bought some parts already, mogami wire, neutrik plugs and some neon green paracord lol.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #952 of 1,345
They really require either a little more power or some EQing to bring out the rest of the spectrum. They were very crisp and clear when I had my Arrow. 

Quote:
very nice though

I just got my TMA-1s from the post office yesterday. Very satisfied :D although not amazed.
Although I can understand where people get the idea that these sound muddy.

A lot of my (non-audiophile) friends tried it out and said they were pretty good.
My girlfriend insists that her Beats Studios are still a bit better (said they sounded more clear and open)

Right now, I think its just cause I dont have a good source to test these from. Best source I have is my PC's Creative X-Fi soundcard out to a mini one tube amp (the $50 one on ebay, forgot what its called).

My portable source is my HTC G2. Thinking about getting a Sansa Clip again (lost my first one) and trying it out, but I'm not sure there will be a difference.. hm.
Also tempted to get one of the iBasso portable amps (cheapest one is $120 i think)
Opinions?

Right now my plan is to burn these in (the guy I bought it from said he got it in august and never really used it much, which shows cause these are pretty perfect condition) and to make a new cord for it.
Bought some parts already, mogami wire, neutrik plugs and some neon green paracord lol.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #953 of 1,345
I have an adjustable EQ in the music app I use for my G2.

Got any recommendations as to how much of which bands i should adjust?
I can use either the 5-band EQ built into my phone's firmware or the 10-band EQ built into the music app. Not sure which one is actually a better EQ or if it matters.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #954 of 1,345
Are you looking for more bass or more treble or more in the middle? I personally like them straight out of my iPhone 4 with no EQ. Anywhere from half to 2/3 volume is plenty, so i never use any other amplification with them.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #956 of 1,345
Quote:
very nice though

I just got my TMA-1s from the post office yesterday. Very satisfied :D although not amazed.Although I can understand where people get the idea that these sound muddy.

Opinions?

That's expected. TMA's deviate a bit from the "cliche'd tuning" that has been extensively advertised, to the greater consumer population, as the pinnacle of audio quality. Dont get me wrong, I occasionally indulge in the "live" sound (Miles Davis Tributes are a guilty pleasure of mine), but TMA's will almost always be under-appreciated when trying to convince people there are way better selections than the Solo & Studio's.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #957 of 1,345
yeah im not sure if its actually better than the studios but when i tried the phones at the apple store, the skullcandy aviator and B&W sounded better than the beats studio, imo.

yeah i eq the tma1 to treble boost when i use it with my ipod classic, still not enough tho so when i get the iphone, ill try the EQ app and increase the high freq a little more.
has anyone tried a dac that matches the tma-1? and has anyone also tried the fiio e11 with it?

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #958 of 1,345

Quote:
yeah im not sure if its actually better than the studios but when i tried the phones at the apple store, the skullcandy aviator and B&W sounded better than the beats studio, imo.

yeah i eq the tma1 to treble boost when i use it with my ipod classic, still not enough tho so when i get the iphone, ill try the EQ app and increase the high freq a little more.
has anyone tried a dac that matches the tma-1? and has anyone also tried the fiio e11 with it?

Oh dont use the ipod EQ because it doesnt do much, EQu is the app your talking about and that works awesome.  Ive read that the e11 is dark sounding so it will make the tma1 a bit more bassy but dont take my word for it because ive never heard it my self

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #959 of 1,345

Quote:
Oh dont use the ipod EQ because it doesnt do much, EQu is the app your talking about and that works awesome.  Ive read that the e11 is dark sounding so it will make the tma1 a bit more bassy but dont take my word for it because ive never heard it my self 

oh good looking out on the E11 ill just re read it again, i just wanted a neutral sounding one. yeah the EQu is the one, cuz the tma-1 doesnt really seem forced when you increase the high freq 
so i think its really flexible.

still looking for a dac/headamp w/ rca out that matches the tma1

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #960 of 1,345
[size=medium]I have had my TMA-1 for just on 12 months now, so I thought I would post an update on how it is going.  The AIAIAI TMA-1 is my walk to work portable and to keep it simple and light, I plug straight into my Sony DAP.  The TMA-1 is a very efficient headphone and requires no external amp for volume and the sound from the DAP satisfies my needs 100%.  I find the sound balanced (slightly warm) crisp and clear and with a sound stage that really is quite impressive considering it is a supra-aural closed portable design.  I mainly listen to classic rock and folk/acoustic type music; from Angus and Julia Stone (go you Aussie good things) through to Queen and Dire Straits- the TMA-1 provide a fun, punchy, sound.[/size]
[size=medium]The TMA-1 is an ideal portable, isolates most external noise but I can hear the traffic lights pip and cars revving, which helps me from not getting run over.  It has proven comfortable, fits around my neck when not on my head, doesn’t cause me any drama with wearing glasses and I  throw it in my messenger bag loose with absolutely no signs of wear or damage.[/size]

[size=medium]The TMA-1 is an under rated high performer that will remain my portable of choice, for some time to come.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back