AIAIAI TMA-1
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,112 of 1,345

Young Guru Studio

Some google image searching, & some were posted in reviews of the headphones. I do believe like this diagram from the YG, they are on the packaging or in the user manual.

To make things even more confusing, here's the packaging from the TMA-1 DJ, with a different FR response than the other I had found.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,113 of 1,345

Young Guru Studio

Some google image searching, & some were posted in reviews of the headphones. I do believe like this diagram from the YG, they are on the packaging or in the user manual.

To make things even more confusing, here's the packaging from the TMA-1 DJ, with a different FR response than the other I had found.

The curves definitely are all over the place; but one thing I've noticed is the drivers perform exactly the same. Arguably, final sound is shaped from the cushion materials, which is where I think the contradictory graphs originate, and cup design.

That said, I find the Capitals sound very similar to the TMA-1's, so long as the same ear cushions are used..

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,114 of 1,345
I don't know whether the drivers of all models are essentially the same (I guess they are at least quite similar), cushions and cups definitely make them sound differently.

Btw.: my TMA-1 Ghostly Edition arrived last week. Very likable actually, the pads are soft and together with the padding on the headband its quite comfortable for an on-ear. It still does not sparkle (but I did not expect that). Its signature is rather dark, but not muddy, with strong impactful, but rather clear bass, a nice timbre in the mids without the hump the original TMA-1 had, making them a bit softer overall. The cable and especially the connector is nice, if a bit long for mobile use. Would have loved to get a cable with remote though.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,115 of 1,345
Just purchased the TMA-1 Studio new at a really good price... was looking at the TMA1 Studio thread and it was just dead.

Are they that much worse than the TMA1 dj? Anyone likes their Studio more than Dj?

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #1,118 of 1,345
Bummer, man. Does it seem like a stocking issue? or could they just not sell it at such a good price.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,119 of 1,345
No sure, there was no provided reason. Ya I am thinking the price is just too low for them to sell. It was around $100usd.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,120 of 1,345
I don't know whether the drivers of all models are essentially the same (I guess they are at least quite similar), cushions and cups definitely make them sound differently.

Btw.: my TMA-1 Ghostly Edition arrived last week. Very likable actually, the pads are soft and together with the padding on the headband its quite comfortable for an on-ear. It still does not sparkle (but I did not expect that). Its signature is rather dark, but not muddy, with strong impactful, but rather clear bass, a nice timbre in the mids without the hump the original TMA-1 had, making them a bit softer overall. The cable and especially the connector is nice, if a bit long for mobile use. Would have loved to get a cable with remote though.

Tax returns are back, & I think I feel like making an upgrade. Though I'm a little torn between these and the YG edition. I suppose I could always try the latter & return if its not to my liking.
Would you say the GI's are any darker than the originals?
Just reading over your impressions, seems like a bit less mids or mid bass? & treble around the same levels?
If they included a FR graph in the packaging, could you post it? I understand it's not the end all & be all but I'm curious.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,121 of 1,345
Tax returns are back, & I think I feel like making an upgrade. Though I'm a little torn between these and the YG edition. I suppose I could always try the latter & return if its not to my liking.
Would you say the GI's are any darker than the originals?
Just reading over your impressions, seems like a bit less mids or mid bass? & treble around the same levels?
If they included a FR graph in the packaging, could you post it? I understand it's not the end all & be all but I'm curious.

I've long sold my original TMA-1, so take this with the appropriate amount of salt... but from what I remember I'd say, the Ghostly has a better bass presentation and tamer treble, i.e. does not show the upper mid/low treble spike I remember the old one having (as stated in my posting above). Overall I like the Ghostly signature, though I would love a more present treble.

For an on-ear they are very comfortable and better in that respect than the original. Especially the now padded headband is very welcome.

The Studio Young Guru has more treble (though a bit colored upper mids), more midbass and less subbass. Its astoundingly light and quite comfortable, being over-ear (if not generous in cup-space) despite its compact size. Plus it does include a second cable with a remote... but the coiled red cable is just too nice to not use it.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,122 of 1,345
As usual, i am late to the party. But i got the tma-1 Stones throw edition a couple of  days ago.

Now, every time i buy a headphone it ends up being a can more suited to "studio" use. Rather flat, often closed back, no fuzz design. Now this is a contrast for sure! And because of that i pulled the trigger. 

The last headphone i used for a couple of hours was the GMD 8.35 D from german maestro. It is a very flat sounding headphone so the contrast when u put these on my head was just immense! However, after a couple of hours of use i really do enjoy them as something that is easy to listen to for longer periods of time. 

Yes the treble is rolled off and the bass is thunderous. but the mids are actually not that recessed to my ears. I think that because of the rather steep treble roll off they are quite forward but not very clear. I listen to alot of metal and rock and i quite enjoy doing so with the tma-1.. Now this is something i did not expect. 

I have owned the legendary HD25 but it was way to uncomfortable for me to use, even with velour pads. And the sound was very similar to a bunch of other cans i owned so i did not really care for them that much. Obviously it is not a bad headphone. And except the design ,  the tma-1 and the HD25 is no way close to each other when it comes down to the sound. They are just so damn different!

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,123 of 1,345
This may be backward thinking, but one thing about the Original (including Fool's Gold, Beatport, Carthart, & Stones Throw) sound signature, is the details it doesn't present so forwardly become little treasures for you to find in your listening. And a few years into owning a pair, I can say the bass makes the process fun enough that you don't get annoyed 
tongue.gif

Edit: Just pulled the trigger on the Ghostly International Editions.

"Skulltaste" by Mux Mool

It's the only album put out by Ghostly International that I own, & it'll be the first thing I listen to.
If I don't enjoy it, somebody done f'cked up.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,124 of 1,345
So i just looked through the thread. It seems to me that the v-moda cables fit the locking socket of the aiaiai? It´s a 3.5 mm alright but the jacket have to be very thin. The one thing i dont really like is the cables. They are so damn springy! 

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,125 of 1,345
Sadly even the short straight cable AIAIAI sells online, at least when I ordered it, turned out to be at LEAST SEVEN FEET LONG. Far longer than the 1.2 meter length detailed on their site. If anyone can confirm that the v-moda cable works, that'd be dope.

My solution with the straight cable was far from elegant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back