AIAIAI TMA-1
Aug 13, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 1,345
I placed my order on the 10th from Ghostly International and will be sure to post a comparison to the Senn HD 25s (my current DJ cans of choice) after some burn-in.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #19 of 1,345
i have confirmation for tuesday delivery. while i have moral qualms against unboxing videos, will take a few product pics and post them up here.

my comparisons will be limited ..i recently sold my pioneer monitor 10's and SE-4's, both of which are pretty neutral and lacking in the low end. I had a pair of DT990's 600ohm, but sold those earlier this year ..so not really applicable for comparison. so i'll just write about how i hear them, what i like, and let others do the comparing. :)

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #20 of 1,345

Have you thought about iem's? , much more portable for travelling and better isolation for plane trips
Quote:
AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones...

Tech Specs:
Transducer Principle: Dynamic, closed 
Driver Unit Size: 40 mm 
Impedance: 32±15% Ohm 
Load Rating: 0.1W 
Frequency Response: 20 to 20.000 Hz 
Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.3% 
Sensitivity: 110±3dB 
Weight w/o Cable: 190 Gram

Any thoughts / comments? I'm looking to replace my HD555's soon....mainly for home / airplane use. Judging from the specs, these are looking pretty good. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #21 of 1,345
loking forward to red you review - i think they are some of the coolest headphones i have seen, but i ave no idea about the sound.
I am also a bit worried that since they are made for DJ's  i gues they will have a lot of mids to get a good kick  - but again this could give some nice clarity without the overwhelming bass that a lot of the new headphones seem to have...

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 1,345
[size=10pt]I got home from "vacation" yesterday to have the TMA-1's waiting on my doorstep![/size]

[size=10pt]I need to spend some real quality time with the headphones I have only listened to one CD completely through: MGMT – Congratulations, my VLC was acting up on my PC last night and it was 4 am, I wasn’t in the mood to fight. [/size]

[size=10pt]Take this QUICK impression with a HUGE[/size] saltlick:

[size=10pt]All weekend I had been using my JH16s balanced and amped (protector (what’s new ...)) so unfortunately my ears were and are adjusted to their sound which makes it interesting to pull the qualities of the TMA to the forefront without doing it disservice because it is being compared heavily *(mentally) to the 16s to which I’m currently accustomed.[/size]

[size=10pt]I had the Sony 700djs from 02-09 and will TRY to compare these to those cans as best as possible for reference. If anyone wants another comparison I also have the sa5k's, and have access to some 650s, I can a/b if anyone wants. [/size]

[size=10pt]This impression was done with the stock ear pads:[/size]

[size=10pt]First, what I was expecting with these cans and what I got were two completely different beasts. I was expecting a heavy handed bass, and subdued highs, and muffled mids to accommodate the DJ crowd for whom these were designed, made, and marketed. With the one album (digital copy FLAC) Congratulations I found that the bass was very well represented not at all like the 700s, where the bass was muddy and had a reverb that was sometimes maddening. The TMA’s are punchy and accurate delivering kick drums in a clean and precise manner that didn’t abuse the range or influence the mids/highs. The sound stage was much wider than the 700s with much greater depth and tonality. The second track on the album which is "Dan Treacy" is a great example of kick drums being presented very close to the mic, being serverd right up front there with the guitar. I found the bass fun! So now, the hard part of the INITIAL impression deals with the mids/highs, and I’ll want some time to come back to this later, or even a second opinion that hasn’t been exposed (oversaturated :p) to the 16s. Because the separation of the mids and highs on the 16s is absolutely profound and deliberate, that’s executed in a very tightly controlled package the likes of which I have not heard before, which paints a very strong mental image, of how a song is “supposed” to sound. So when I listen to the TMA’s the mids/highs sound like they are fighting for space, there is a lack of separation between them that is almost stifling, the problem I have writing this is that I have only listened to ONE CD, after 13 hrs of travel, and about 8 hrs of PURE JH16 listening, and with BRAND NEW HP’s right afterwards it creates a weird mix of flavors (toothpaste/OJ) and so these are a few factors that color this impression. I will listen to them a lot this evening, and try to listen through what I’m used to in order to find the gem that these cans are. I can hear that they are a STRONG pair of headphones so going from the top of the IEM class, to a new phonic entry to the DJ closed class so quickly presents a sonic dichotomy that I’m not equipped to ignore. So being aware of that “small” discrepancy that’s tainting my first impression I will say that the vocals and the string instrument representation are very nice, and are presented MUCH better than the 700s. The TMA’s don’t fall into the same trap that the sa5ks did going for surgical precision of the high end, but bring about a fun musicality, that kept me awake till the final track was finished. [/size]

[size=10pt]I plan on listening to a few more CDs before I post a more in depth impression, if you have any questions let me know. [/size]

[size=10pt]Build quality and finish are excellent. I definitely stretched and pulled them much in the same way as the unboxing video. The cups don’t rotate all that much, but don’t seem like they will fall apart too easily. The cable is short, preferred for turntables and all around the whole unit (cable and headphones) have a rubbery tack to it. The TMAs’ are very comfortable on my head and on my ears, and they very light weight. The cups that I did try were soft, I’d have to look to see which ones they were. 3 pair of earpads are supplied in the package which are supposed to have different sonic qualities, personally I’d much rather just swap the chord. I started to make an unboxing video, however my phone died after the long day while I was recording … again let me know what you would like to see from me in terms of the unit and I’ll do my best.[/size]

[size=10pt]-- SHADY[/size]

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #23 of 1,345
Got mine unboxed about 15 minutes ago and have been listening to various rock, techno, instrumental. My thoughts mirror shady's sentiments almost exactly. very pleasantly surprised and look forward to some thorough listening. I only received two sets of pads: the stock leather and foamies. I threw the foam ones on and was immediately disappointed ..tinny and lacking in almost all bass unless i pressed both cups against my ears with my hands. looks like i'll be using the leather pads since I don't DJ and include cup pressing as my regular flow.

All in all, very pleased.

Quote:
[size=10pt]I got home from "vacation" yesterday to have the TMA-1's waiting on my doorstep![/size]

[size=10pt]I need to spend some real quality time with the headphones I have only listened to one CD completely through: MGMT – Congratulations, my VLC was acting up on my PC last night and it was 4 am, I wasn’t in the mood to fight. [/size]

[size=10pt]Take this QUICK impression with a HUGE[/size] saltlick:

[size=10pt]All weekend I had been using my JH16s balanced and amped (protector (what’s new ...)) so unfortunately my ears were and are adjusted to their sound which makes it interesting to pull the qualities of the TMA to the forefront without doing it disservice because it is being compared heavily *(mentally) to the 16s to which I’m currently accustomed.[/size]

[size=10pt]I had the Sony 700djs from 02-09 and will TRY to compare these to those cans as best as possible for reference. If anyone wants another comparison I also have the sa5k's, and have access to some 650s, I can a/b if anyone wants. [/size]

[size=10pt]This impression was done with the stock ear pads:[/size]

[size=10pt]First, what I was expecting with these cans and what I got were two completely different beasts. I was expecting a heavy handed bass, and subdued highs, and muffled mids to accommodate the DJ crowd for whom these were designed, made, and marketed. With the one album (digital copy FLAC) Congratulations I found that the bass was very well represented not at all like the 700s, where the bass was muddy and had a reverb that was sometimes maddening. The TMA’s are punchy and accurate delivering kick drums in a clean and precise manner that didn’t abuse the range or influence the mids/highs. The sound stage was much wider than the 700s with much greater depth and tonality. The second track on the album which is "Dan Treacy" is a great example of kick drums being presented very close to the mic, being serverd right up front there with the guitar. I found the bass fun! So now, the hard part of the INITIAL impression deals with the mids/highs, and I’ll want some time to come back to this later, or even a second opinion that hasn’t been exposed (oversaturated :p) to the 16s. Because the separation of the mids and highs on the 16s is absolutely profound and deliberate, that’s executed in a very tightly controlled package the likes of which I have not heard before, which paints a very strong mental image, of how a song is “supposed” to sound. So when I listen to the TMA’s the mids/highs sound like they are fighting for space, there is a lack of separation between them that is almost stifling, the problem I have writing this is that I have only listened to ONE CD, after 13 hrs of travel, and about 8 hrs of PURE JH16 listening, and with BRAND NEW HP’s right afterwards it creates a weird mix of flavors (toothpaste/OJ) and so these are a few factors that color this impression. I will listen to them a lot this evening, and try to listen through what I’m used to in order to find the gem that these cans are. I can hear that they are a STRONG pair of headphones so going from the top of the IEM class a new phonic entry to the DJ closed class so quickly presents a sonic dichotomy that I’m not equipped to ignore. So being aware of that “small” discrepancy that’s tainting my first impression I will say that the vocals and the string instrument representation are very nice, and are presented MUCH better than the 700s. The TMA’s don’t fall into the same trap that the sa5ks did going for surgical precision of the high end, but bring about a fun musicality, that kept me awake till the final track was finished. [/size]

[size=10pt]I plan on listening to a few more CDs before I post a more in depth impression, if you have any questions let me know. [/size]

[size=10pt]Build quality and finish are excellent. I definitely stretched and pulled them much in the same way as the unboxing video. The cups don’t rotate all that much, but don’t seem like they will fall apart too easily. The cable is short, preferred for turntables and all around the whole unit (sable and headphones) have a rubbery tack to it. The TMAs’ are very comfortable on my head and on my ears, and they very light weight. The cups that I did try were soft, I’d have to look to see which ones they were they supply 3 pair which are supposed to have different sonic qualities, personally I’d much rather just swap the chord. I started to make an unboxing video, however my phone died after the long day while I was recording … again let me know what you would like to see from me in terms of the unit and I’ll do my best.[/size]

[size=10pt]-- SHADY[/size]

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #25 of 1,345
This is great! Thanks for the quick reviews, I'm struggling NOT to give them a go myself.

One of the major things I'm looking for are headphones that can realy take a beating, I have a tendency to rough my "on the go" gear up pretty good. How is your impression of the resistance to some brute force? :p

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 1,345
If you do it, please let me know, i want to balance them as well ... if i could find a 4-pole line in. im going to try them stock for a pd of time, but keep me posted.

Quote:
This is great! Thanks for the quick reviews, I'm struggling NOT to give them a go myself.

One of the major things I'm looking for are headphones that can realy take a beating, I have a tendency to rough my "on the go" gear up pretty good. How is your impression of the resistance to some brute force? :p

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 1,345
was that meant for me? i didn't go balanced, just dual entry... I made two of these re-cables a while back, one of which went on a pair of pioneer se-4's I recently sold. It was sitting around unused, so I figured why not. I really just don't like single entry cables, especially on headphones this light ..too much tugging and pulling.

the rubber pad uses a tape glue adhesive and pulls off to allow clean removal of the crossover cable and seems to stick back on without the need for more adhesive. cups are very easy to slide off the headband and dismantle. You're going to flip the cups and reuse the crossover cable holes ..remove the cable jack from the circuit by snipping the wires and remove the crossover cable from each driver. blue and red wires are the + (i couldn't find clearly marked +/-). feed the cables through the old crossover holes, solder up, put together and reattach the headband. took about 10 minutes with the preassembled cable I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back