AIAIAI TMA-1 Beatport Edition
Jun 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jasmineh

New Head-Fier
Don't know who all would be interested in these, but--

I picked these up from Best Buy today...they also have the Studio edition! Studio edition was something like $279 and these were $199. Of course I went the cheapskate route :p

Up until today I was using a pair of m-50s (straight cable braided to make it shorter).

I don't think I'm used to these yet because they're indeed much warmer than the m-50s, but I think I may really grow to enjoy them.  I originally sought out a pair of TMA-1 headphones because the m-50s were pressing on my glasses and too much clamping makes me feel really ill.  I had to remove my glasses after about two hours with them and these already seem a little better.

I'm still pretty new to spending more than $100 on a pair of headphones, so another purchase like this had me excited but I'm still afraid that I won't like them as much as I want to.  Already I'm not -used- to the TMA-1 and I think my expectations are to hear songs like the m-50s presented them before...

Actually, they already sound a little more "fun" than the m-50s and less harsh.  This is after 45 minutes of listening.

Anyway. I shouldn't type anymore.  I'm guessing you guys would like some crappy cell phone pics:

Here's the album for the full-size pics: http://imgur.com/a/lGJvj

The box

Inner flap (there's a magnetic flap extension that has some blurbs about the sound or whatever too but I couldn't photograph them so that they were legible)

• aiaiai tma-1 beatport edition
  • coiled cord
  • earpads
  • free download code
  • booklet
  • carrying bag

This is how they fit my head with glasses.  My head is probably a little on the small side because I'm only 5'5" and my head is oval-shaped.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:
Just curious, can you take pics of the M50 cable that you braided. I want to know how to braid a single cable to make it shorter. lol.

You take the unbraided cord and divide it into thirds, then loop it around in the same direction that I'm holding it in the photo.  Pull the jack down to leave a little room, and leave some space at the top near the body.  Then just braid it like you would anything else, but instead of the three ends being freely movable, it's necessary to sort of weave the jack-end strand in and out.  Don't do it too tightly, just a little loose yet still snug like I did.  I used some zip ties snipped off at the end to make doubly sure that the braid wasn't going anywhere even though it shouldn't move without them.

It's far too difficult to find the directions for single-cord braiding.  I had to dig through head-fi for hours to figure out how to do it!  Finally google images + cord brain site:head-fi.com + patience did the trick...
Quote:
were is the best buy you got these at?

The St. Peters, MO one at Mid Rivers Mall...I asked the sales associate what the difference between these and the studios were spec-wise (there are none on paper by the way, but I know the earcups are different) so she took me to the computer to browse the website.  It said "pre-order now" and she was like, "I guess these aren't supposed to be out yet, but I can sell them to you anyway" lol

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 30
I've never heard the original TMA-1...so I don't know these are like, just a different color or if they're a different model? Isn't the Fool's Gold Edition the same thing but in different colors?  And I heard the Studio Edition is supposed to have a different tuning or something, but I haven't heard that either, so I can't say this is just a cheaper version for sure...

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:
I've never heard the original TMA-1...so I don't know these are like, just a different color or if they're a different model? Isn't the Fool's Gold Edition the same thing but in different colors?  And I heard the Studio Edition is supposed to have a different tuning or something, but I haven't heard that either, so I can't say this is just a cheaper version for sure...

also welcome too head-fi
gs1000.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 30
Didn't the originals not have a detachable cables? Out of all the reviews I saw for them that wasn't mentioned. But, these look very nice. Though I would get the studio version due to being a bit more favored towards circumaural cans. Just saw both versions at my best buy a few days ago.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 30
Update for those who want one...m50s are going to a friend in Belgium, and I'm keeping these as my mains.  They're a little tight but I feel them loosening up the more I wear them.  They're a lot more durable than the m50s, too.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 30
If you switch directly from the m50s to the TMA-1, the TMA-1 will sound muffled and too bassy, but after listening to it for a day and letting my ears adjust, I don't think those are the right words to describe the TMA-1 with.  They're more bassy but only by a tad, and the bass is idk...better? It seems more detailed, and instuments fit into the song better.  With the m50s it's like each instrument stands on its own which is sort of confusing at times and can make my head hurt.  The TMA-1 is definitely more musical in my opinion.  I use them without an EQ because I ended up liking how much more soothing the sound is compared to the treble-y m50s.

The isolation is also 1000x better than with the m50s at the added expense of extreme clamping force.  After a while the TMA-1 hurt my ears BUT I'd say that my listening experience is more satisfying with them than the m50s so I don't really mind taking a short break every once in a while until I can stretch the headband out a bit.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 30
Nice headphone, but what's the difference between 'the beatport edition', the foolsgold edition' and the traditional edition? Besides the color of course?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back