AHHHH!! WHICH ONE?!?!?!
Mar 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

genesyndrome

Member of the Trade: Headphone Modder
So I am in the market for a nice IEM and I have been on the fence about whether to get customs or universals.  My budget is ~$450 USD and I have been seriously considering the Noble 3C for sometime but then I realized that I could also get the Noble 4(universal) for the same price.  I have done a lot of research around the internet and still can not make a decision so I am hoping that the kind people on this forum can shed some light on this conundrum of mine.  I know that there are benefits of both universals and customs but I am wondering which one would be a better value and more of a long term solution. 

I like a more accurate/neutral sounding IEM but please feel free to recommend any IEM around this price range and your stance on this subject.

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 19
bumpy

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 19
Everyone will have their own personal experience. For me, the customs did not give me an accurate bass presence. I'll call them bass light. The are lot's of very good neutral sounding universal iem's out there for less money actually. I like the vsonic gr07mkii. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 19
By far, and having tried just about every universal IEM there is, I can wholeheartedly recommend you the Ortofon EQ-5 for neutrality, transparency, and the likeness to full-size cans. 
Honestly, the only IEM I regret selling was the EQ-5, and it truly shined at what it did. 
It was the perfect balance of neutrality and engaging, while maintaining a massive sound-stage with pinpoint instrumental positioning. 
Vocals are unearthly real.
I liked them as much or more than the Senn IE800/SE846 I had at the time.
Just sounded much more natural.

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 19
  Everyone will have their own personal experience. For me, the customs did not give me an accurate bass presence. I'll call them bass light. The are lot's of very good neutral sounding universal iem's out there for less money actually. I like the vsonic gr07mkii. 

This is what i am afraid of, I might not end up liking customs.  That is a another reason why I am a little skeptical about getting customs.  I am aware that there are many good IEM's for less than my set budget but I am really looking to upgrade to a "top teir" IEM that I can hang onto happily longer than my past ones.

By far, and having tried just about every universal IEM there is, I can wholeheartedly recommend you the Ortofon EQ-5 for neutrality, transparency, and the likeness to full-size cans. 
Honestly, the only IEM I regret selling was the EQ-5, and it truly shined at what it did. 
It was the perfect balance of neutrality and engaging, while maintaining a massive sound-stage with pinpoint instrumental positioning. 

Are the Ortofons that great? What about the eQ-7? 

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 19
bumpty bump bump

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Starve your self for a while and then get these :p
http://mashable.com/2014/03/17/shure-se846-earphones-review/

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 19
You see its not a question of whether I can afford it or not cause I could order a pair of SE846's right now, but there is a point of diminishing return.  A $1000 is bit much for earphones for me and I have purposefully set my limit ~$450 for that reason.  Plus, for a $1000 I would expect it to be made out of Adamantium and be the end all to be all IEM lol.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 19
Ahhh, I can't tell you how many times I think to myself. All those inexpensive headphones I've bought over the years... many of which I rarely use, if I didn't buy them, I could have gotten that really expensive nice one. :p Don't you want to look cool in front of a bunch of strangers on the internet that you will never meet (until the next bigger/better model comes out)? :D 

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 19
The EQ-5 is more neutral than the EQ-7. Cheaper from what I can see since the latter is discontinued. And is an improvement in design IMO.
The EQ-7 is more romantic, lush, and there's less treble energy.
And yes, they really are that good!
Especially if you can acquire some nice wide-bore silicone tips.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 19
  Ahhh, I can't tell you how many times I think to myself. All those inexpensive headphones I've bought over the years... many of which I rarely use, if I didn't buy them, I could have gotten that really expensive nice one. :p Don't you want to look cool in front of a bunch of strangers on the internet that you will never meet (until the next bigger/better model comes out)? :D 

That may be true but finding your IEM is a journey, much like everything is, and its that journey I enjoy the most.  In your journey you find out what you like and what you don't and start to get an image of what YOUR IEM should be like, I can't say my journey has been nearly extensive enough.  Getting a $1000 IEM is like cutting that journey short and there is no guarantee that I would like it just because it is the top model, or just because it looks cool :p.  

The EQ-5 is more neutral than the EQ-7. Cheaper from what I can see since the latter is discontinued. And is an improvement in design IMO.
The EQ-7 is more romantic, lush, and there's less treble energy.
And yes, they really are that good!
Especially if you can acquire some nice wide-bore silicone tips.

I will keep this in mind I may just try to trade one of my other headphones for and eQ-5 :D 

Thanks for the advice

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 19
I stand by my word. Not just one of these people that have heard a few IEMs and proclaim _ as the best hype.
For the price the EQ-5 go for, it's just a steal. 
You can always sell them back to me if you do find a pair :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 19
InEar Stagediver 2. You will not desire another item. :D I prefer neutral sounding iems, hence I have the etymotic hf2 and the ue900, both great earphones. I also have the westone 3, picked them up when they were on sale awhile back. Don't use them much because of the crap ton of bass they produce. Ue900 is known for the notorious QC issues so I recently sold them. I still keep the hf2 around as back up. The SD2 are almost flat response IEMs. The treble, mids, and bass are very accurate and detailed. No frequency is exaggerated over the other. If u have any questions about them, LMK.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 19
  I stand by my word. Not just one of these people that have heard a few IEMs and proclaim _ as the best hype.
For the price the EQ-5 go for, it's just a steal. 
You can always sell them back to me if you do find a pair :)

I may have to try to get my hands on a pair now.  I have always been curious about the "moving armature driver" that it has and I guess I have just been waiting for the opportunity to present itself.  :)

InEar Stagediver 2. You will not desire another item.
biggrin.gif
I prefer neutral sounding iems, hence I have the etymotic hf2 and the ue900, both great earphones. I also have the westone 3, picked them up when they were on sale awhile back. Don't use them much because of the crap ton of bass they produce. Ue900 is known for the notorious QC issues so I recently sold them. I still keep the hf2 around as back up. The SD2 are almost flat response IEMs. The treble, mids, and bass are very accurate and detailed. No frequency is exaggerated over the other. If u have any questions about them, LMK.

I have actually considered the Stagediver 2's and the F111 but I am kind of skeptical about the fit of the Stagedivers, but otherwise I have heard great things about them.  I have actually had the UE900 and I enjoyed it but it wasn't the sound sig I wanted, furthermore I thought the build quality was sub-par compared to its competitors like the SE535 or W4R.  Also I always been intrigued by what Stagediver has accomplished with just 2 drivers, does this affect the frequency range at all of the Stagediver's by any chance?

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 19

Hopefully one day you'll be able to hear the im-02.  In my opinion, they are actually a better version of the eq-5's, having great transparency, better extension in the high and low end, and somewhat warm, though not as warm as the eq-5.

Though to be honest, the eq-5 doesn't lose to it that bad, except the lack of removable cables..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back