Ahhhh K1000 and STAX owners please don't beat me up for saying this but...
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Posts
254
Likes
14
Ahhhh K1000 and STAX owners please don't beat me up for saying this but, why not just get two small speakers (audiophile quality) and just put them really close together and listen to them that way?

Please wait, don't light up your flames yet lol! This is not a disrespect to the "Earspeaker" cans in any way, shape, or form. I was just wondering I mean, since they actually do look like full sized speakers, why not just use real speakers?

Just looking at them alone makes me think that they are just "miniature full-sized" speakers hanging next to your ears. Its like cheating. Your taking some audiophile level speakers and shrinking them, and hanging them next to your ears.

Ahhhhhh I know, I know, I know (insert how silly and stupid this sounds remark here) sounds dumb. I just thought it was something funny to share with you guys.


k1000.jpg


stax.jpg
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 25

Elephas

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Posts
3,259
Likes
14
Well, how would you hang the speakers on your head? Most small-sized speakers are designed to be placed on a stand, desk or bookshelf and aren't suitable for strapping onto your head. Of course, you could create a contraption to hang the small speakers with, but it would probably end up looking like the K1000 and might not be as comfortable.

Alternatively, you could stick your head in between the two speakers, but then you won't be able to move. And the imaging, soundstage, etc. might not be as good as listening to the speakers from 10 ft. away.
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 25

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Posts
254
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Well, how would you hang the speakers on your head? Most small-sized speakers are designed to be placed on a stand, desk or bookshelf and aren't suitable for strapping onto your head. Of course, you could create a contraption to hang the small speakers with, but it would probably end up looking like the K1000 and might not be as comfortable.

Alternatively, you could stick your head in between the two speakers, but then you won't be able to move. And the imaging, soundstage, etc. might not be as good as listening to the speakers from 10 ft. away.




LMAO!!!!!

I know, I know, it is a dumb thread indeed. I just thought it was funny lol.
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 25

Ahriman4891

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Posts
713
Likes
10
Isn't the whole point of K1000, Stax, etc. the "electrostat sound"? AFAIK there are no small affordable electrostatic speakers...
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 25

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Posts
8,604
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
Isn't the whole point of K1000, Stax, etc. the "electrostat sound"? AFAIK there are no small affordable electrostatic speakers...


K1000s are dynamic headphones though. It doesn't sound electrostatic.

I ocassionally sit inbetween my Magnepan MMGs which are not electrostatic either but close enough.
k1000smile.gif
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 25

Elephas

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Posts
3,259
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz
I know, I know, it is a dumb thread indeed. I just thought it was funny lol.


A slightly "dumb" thread is OK by me, as long as it's also funny.
tongue.gif


In my younger days, I remember putting two floorstanding speakers close together and facing each other, and sticking my head in-between them. The experience was very interesting. I felt a lot of bass, and not much else. Definitely a, "kids, don't try this at home" type of move.
icon10.gif
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 25

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
5,368
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Definitely a, "kids, don't try this at home" type of move.
icon10.gif



That won't be a problem.

Well unless the speakers come in iPod-white...
 
Mar 31, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 25

Samgotit

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Posts
3,448
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
K1000s are dynamic headphones though. It doesn't sound electrostatic.

I ocassionally sit inbetween my Magnepan MMGs which are not electrostatic either but close enough.
k1000smile.gif



I've got to try this. Does it ruin imaging and/or soudstage?

Maybe I'll strap a piece a leather between them too.
tongue.gif



Sam
 
Apr 1, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 25

nikongod

DIY-ku
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
8,882
Likes
124
you can build what you describe.

the problem is that most (if not all) single driver "speaker-drivers" have crappy highs, or lows, even at headphone power levels. drivers designed for headphones cna of course be designed with MUCH lighter "cone" weights because at lower power they need less strength. they get better extentions because of this, for a single driver.

if you were to dabble in a dual driver system, then MANY options open up. ignoring the good (which there is potential to be a lot of at a decent price, pairs of smaller lower/higher in decent and better quality can be gotten for under $100) i would wory about the signal from 2 seperate drivers so close to the ears coming out of phase or out of "cohesion" (i think thats the word, where highs come from one place, and the lows somewhere else) by some course of action.

if you can get it work well, you very well off indeed.
 
Apr 1, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 25

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
21,332
Likes
32
my speakers are not very well placed on my desk - basically, just squished where they fit. if you move your head an inch, the SQ totally changes, hehe. But with the STAX you have em strapped on your head and they'll stay where you put em no matter how you turn your head. So I get consistency of performance - plus, they sound better than my speakers anyhow!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top