AHHH! I'm falling off the HD280 and V6 bandwagon!
Aug 25, 2002 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
Sennheiser HD280 PRO. its like the V6, only better in sound

After I listened to my Sennheiser HD280 PRO and my Sony MDR-V6, I came to the conclusion that both of those headphones are way overrated. The HD280 PRO sounds to me a bit dark, honky and plasticky; the MDR-V6 (and MDR-7506, as well) sounds harsh and sometimes grating. In fact, nearly all of the full-sized closed headphones sound craptastic compared to my Etymotic ER-4S canalphones!
mad.gif

However, there are a lot of times when I don't feel like sticking anything inside my ears at all; I prefer putting something on my head with pads that go around my ears. Sure, my Sennheiser HD590 is quite a bit bright, but I enjoy it much more than I do any of my closed headphones (note that I didn't include my AKG K240DF in this comparison because the only audio device that I own that can power the K240DF adequately is my home receiver, which I hardly use any more).

Let's say that I want a bit more refined sound than my HD590 currently delivers. But I don't want that sound to become too laid-back. So, which full-sized open-air headphones would you recommend in this situation? (Keep in mind that I listen to almost everything except classical these days.)

E4g1e_Dr1v3r

Aug 25, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver

The HD280 PRO sounds to me a bit dark, honky and plasticky;

Are you sure you aren't confusing your ears with your eyes?

Bwahahahahaha
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 30
You heard me right, Magicthyse. The HD280 Pro's highs lack detail, and the lower mids are boosted up a bit (but I've heard worse).

Aug 25, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 30
In comparative terms with similarly priced open and closed - especially in comparison with closed - phones that I've tried, they are as honky as Samuel L. Jackson... I do wonder where you do your evals sometimes...
tongue.gif

Besides, horses for courses. The character of the 280's sound - to be fair to it - should be evaluated in a mid-level, constant-noise environment. I'm fair to phones and take into account their intended application as well as price, appearance, comfort, and many other factors when evaluating them - a character that I don't seem to share with you perhaps, especially taking into account your comments regarding the V700...

Aug 25, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 30
Look out for the grado's instead. I have the sr80, its been a good ride since i got it.

all ure problems will be answered, it has great details in the highs....and non distorting lows.

sometimes it feels like the sr80 are two phones in one, when there are very low frequency (bass) sounds....it does not effect the other frequencies.

This is what i like the most about it.

Aug 25, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 30
Eagle Driver
It sounds like you've described the Beyerdnamic DT931. Order from Meier and get the 120ohm adapter with it (not sure what he charge for that but shouldn't be much).

Some alternative ideas would be: Sennheiser HD600 w Cardas Cable (if you have a good amplifier), Stax and Grado HP-1000 but all of those are expensive compared to the Beyerdynamic option.

Aug 26, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
Look out for the grado's instead. I have the sr80, its been a good ride since i got it.

all ure problems will be answered, it has great details in the highs....and non distorting lows.

sometimes it feels like the sr80 are two phones in one, when there are very low frequency (bass) sounds....it does not effect the other frequencies.

This is what i like the most about it.

Been there, done that.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Eagle Driver
It sounds like you've described the Beyerdnamic DT931. Order from Meier and get the 120ohm adapter with it (not sure what he charge for that but shouldn't be much).

Some alternative ideas would be: Sennheiser HD600 w Cardas Cable (if you have a good amplifier), Stax and Grado HP-1000 but all of those are expensive compared to the Beyerdynamic option.

To me, even the Beyerdynamic option is too expensive, considering that I'll have to buy another amp (I would have to spend at least $800 on an amp, in addition to the cost of the headphones, just to take much of an advantage of those 'phones).

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

To me, even the Beyerdynamic option is too expensive, considering that I'll have to buy another amp (I would have to spend at least $800 on an amp, in addition to the cost of the headphones, just to take much of an advantage of those 'phones).

I disagree about having to spend at least $800 on an amp. The DT931 would be just fine out of the Corda HA-1 or META42. If you're tighter on funds than that, consider keeping the HD590 for now and buying an amp instead of more headphones.

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I disagree about having to spend at least $800 on an amp. The DT931 would be just fine out of the Corda HA-1 or META42. If you're tighter on funds than that, consider keeping the HD590 for now and buying an amp instead of more headphones.

Alright, I'll have to admit that I only listen to music portably; I don't even use any part of my home system any more. And practically all portable headphones are pieces of junk - SQ-wise, with most of those being sonic ear-bleeds. So I must carry either big open-air 'phones OR my Etymotics.

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Alright, I'll have to admit that I only listen to music portably; I don't even use any part of my home system any more. And practically all portable headphones are pieces of junk - SQ-wise, with most of those being sonic ear-bleeds. So I must carry either big open-air 'phones OR my Etymotics.

Opamp AD8620 can be driven portably with a pair of 9 volts and you can get a pretty small enclosure. Pick up a Traveler bag if you need to.

Aug 26, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 30
You don't have to make your own..
rolleyes.gif

Do you really even want new headphones?! :p

Biggie.

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 30
I refuse to believe that someone with over 1500 posts on HeadFi doesn't know that there are other people who build amps for others.

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 30
And most of my posts have nothing to do with amps.
tongue.gif

BTW, I've listened to the Sennheiser HD280 PRO and the Sony MDR-V6 again today, and I found out that my 280 has relatively loose and somewhat boomy bass, and slightly honky upper mids. My MDR-V6, OTOH, is a bit thin and a lot bright (even compared to my open-air Sennheiser HD590, which itself is a bit bright). And yes, I listened to them from my Total Airhead 4.5V amp (I don't trust rectangular 9V batteries at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back