AH-D2000 vs Q701 [Headphone Exchange Game @Uni]
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mrAdrian

Headphoneus Supremus
So I know two friends at Uni through pointing out each other's headphones...

And seeing what they own, I thought to myself 'Why not' so now we are exchanging headphones for short time frames say ~1 week so we can listen to them excessively

So out goes my Ultrasone DJ1 and welcome in the Dennon D2000

Then out goes my beloved Alessandro MS1 and lol, Q701

Just thought I'll share it because I'm dead happy right now, except I only have a E7 :frowning2: but neither of them have amps (what are they doing!)

End of the report. I think I'm on high atm

EDIT: Changed title to attract more of you people to chime in

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 20
So far Q701 really showed me how my Classicals should sound like, but the Denons handled everything right.

Soundstage wise, a closed hp is a closed hp. But I find the soundstage of the D2000 very impressive too! Is it considered as good/excellent/top-tier for a pair of closed hp? It just lacks the airy-ness the Q701 had

But as a trade off, bass impact wow.

^ I am still quite new to this hobby. Just trying to use this chance hear to learn more about how to describe sound, and to what details should I listen to - besides 'this sounds great' and 'this sounds alright...'

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 20
I consider the Denon's soundstage excellent - of course it takes a couple of minutes to get used to the slightly different sound, maybe somewhat hollow or with a little "reverb" - but after only a short while, they allow you to immerse completely into the music and don't seem like closed cans at all! But then, I'm biased to Denons since I auditioned them a couple weeks back (esp the D5k) since they sound closer to full blown speakers than any other headphones I have heard and give a good presentation.. AKGs sound quite airy and lacking impact compared to Denons.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 20
It might be sounding a tad too warm for me actually, maybe I'm 1. not using the right amplification (lol!) and 2. not used to it yet. I hope I would not get used to it tho, otherwise when I get my dj1 back I'm gna cry. Geeze they do not sound like closed at all, but again I very like the airyness coz I am a grado fan boy

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 20
^ ahaha love the Denon D2ks on the fly, I just noticed!
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
D2000's probably more comfy. I've heard TONS of complaints about the K701's headband, and the Q701 has the same design, so pretty sure D2000 takes the cake on this one. When I tried the D2000, they were really comfy.

My D7000s are comfy.  My Q701s are comfy after I stretched the headband a little bit.  I don't notice the bumps on the inside of the headband on my bald head.  Where's the beef?

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 20
i am a grado fanboy. In fact i think my 1k pads are going to arrive soon, meaning i can return his 701 and make my own ms1000... then there is going to be heaps of fun.

Quote:
How do you like the fit and comfort of the two?

701 comfort is alright, acceptable and in fact good. d2k got me yelling about its soundatage and comfort at my first impression. so it is a decent on 701 and an excellent on the d2k

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
i am a grado fanboy. In fact i think my 1k pads are going to arrive soon, meaning i can return his 701 and make my own ms1000... then there is going to be heaps of fun.

701 comfort is alright, acceptable and in fact good. d2k got me yelling about its soundatage and comfort at my first impression. so it is a decent on 701 and an excellent on the d2k

I would never go back from the G-Cush's that I have, not to mention they're more comfortable.  The soundstage (and comfort) is just too wonderful.  My Q701's do different stuff differently so I guess I have to have those, too.  One of these daze, I'll do a comparo.  For now, the 325is with G-Cush have a wider soundstage than the Q, but that doesn't mean they're "better", just different.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 20
I even had the distancers installed =P

The lucky guy had my ms1 with err, cloth removed mod / 7 holes punched / hell-a-lot of blutak in the sound chamber / distancers+felt / 414 pads reversed or quater-mod comfy or bowls
Lol I like my ms1's, everytime I mod them they sound a bit better. More importantly they feel so unique and it is like mine and mine only.

Out of the four, I still prefer my ms1 for anything with electrical guitars. Fcuk the price difference, Grado for guitars
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I would never go back from the G-Cush's that I have, not to mention they're more comfortable.  The soundstage (and comfort) is just too wonderful.  My Q701's do different stuff differently so I guess I have to have those, too.  One of these daze, I'll do a comparo.  For now, the 325is with G-Cush have a wider soundstage than the Q, but that doesn't mean they're "better", just different.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 20
Hester, how would you compare the HFI580 and the Denon?

I know soundstage wise it shows no chance in front of the D2k, but how about other aspects?

Quote:

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Hey Adrian, I actually just got them yesterday so I'm in the process of burning them in. My initial impressions: They have pretty much the same sound sig as my D2000. I know 580s are supposed to be one of the warmest Ultrasones so I wasnt too surprised though. The D2000s are better in comfort by a lot, soundstage by a lot, and sub-bass. The Ultrasones have better mid/mid-bass. The treble seems veiled, but again I only have about 10 hrs of playtime. And hopefully these clamps loosen up. These will be a great portable alternative to the D2000 though. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 20
my head is so long and thin that my dj1 would not be rested on my head with the best position and thanks to slogic, it has dramatic change over the bass. if i push them up for a bit they have very strong bass response, very deep. for the heck of it, i paired it with e5 amp with bass boost lol

feels like subwoofers.

however from d2k, i do not get that much of bass impact. to me it sounds like the situation is completely reversed, with deeper bass on dj1 and mid bass on denons.

still dj1 at the very best would still be a portable alternative. Soundatage, comfort, and details etc. the gap is obvious. im just wondering is it my amplification that gave rise to my observations.

i used the e7 only, either from pc or from zune line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back