Age Inappropriate Music / Mid Life Crisis??
Jun 11, 2004 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK...tell me what y'all think about THIS:

I recently picked up a bunch of new CD's on eBay...including a couple of Kid Rock CD's. So I've been listening to these quite a bit, and it's got a touch of that "white trash rock and roll" stuff that was so popular when I was growing up. Catchy stuff...different than what I usually listen to.

Here's the problem: I'm old enough to have been around to kick off my audiophile run prior to the advent of the CD. I feel a bit silly listening to this stuff. I mean, shouldn't I be listening to Diana Krall or something.

Well, Mrs. Elrod is having more fun with this than anyone deserves. She's going to humiliate me to within an inch of my life over this one. I mean, when she saw this CD, she just busted up with belly laughs. SIGH...my wife doesn't understand me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or would that be "my b**** isn't pickin' up what I'm layin' down"?
very_evil_smiley.gif

So what's up with this? Is this as ridiculous as it seems from a distance? What's next? Boy bands?
eek.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 43
What's inappropriate about it if you enjoy it? I've always been amazed at how younger people can often listen to older music, but older people never seem to listen to music of newer generations. I suspected it might have something to do with your feelings, atleast in your case it seems correct.
So you like Kid Rock? No big deal. Let Mrs.Elrod have her fun, crank up that "white trash rock and roll" and have a blast. No music is inappropriate for adults, regardless of your age.

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 43
I was thinking the same thing. My wife and I were out driving around the valley this evening. I left the CDs home, so I tuned the radio to the college station, they were playing punk. I like punk. It turned out they were taking requests, so I called on the cell phone (after stopping the truck) and requested a song. My wife was surprised and frankly so was I. I told her I'm too old to know punk rock well enough to request a song while out driving around.
tongue.gif
It wasn't what could be called classic punk either. It was a song from Rancid's album Out Come The Wolves.
I guess age shouldn't have anything to do with music preferences.
BTW my wife kind of likes Kid Rock, she told me I should give him a try.
Right now I am listening to Courtney Love.
rolleyes.gif

Then again, I'm only 45.

Jun 11, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 43
As for age and Rock and Roll, remember that you are never too old to rock. When I got married I was 32 and my brothers in law used to give me hard time because I use to listen to metal and general rock all the time. They would ussually compare me with a junky cousin of them who's always on dope (nothing wrong with that!) and playing new metal. When I met the guy I almost went ballistic on my older inlaw, bassically because I did not liked the comparission
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I think it's faily logical that, being raised in the rock and roll era, we still listen to the same basic stuff in our older days. There's nothing wrong with that. Also, the whole thing about being open to new styles and artists is a wonderful thing. I don't particularly like Nu-metal for example, but bands like Evanescense and Mexican band Q-bo sound nice enough for me to shell some clams and get their cd's.

So what if the misses is going to make fun out of you? That's what wives are for anyway
biggrin.gif
. Mine hates it when I am watching cartoons or playing music, or when I go jamming with some local kids who have a band (the oldest guy is 21!!!!). At 36, I rock harder than they ever will.

Oh, and I also listen to Diana Krall and a lot of classical and latin jazz. And would probably still be a rocker when I am at the old folks house.

So, let the wife have her fun. You can have yours, don't you?

(here's hoping I actually made sense. it's 3.00 am here and my brain is fried)

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I mean, shouldn't I be listening to Diana Krall or something.

At all costs you must resist evil...do not succumb to Diana.
wink.gif

I don't think there is such a thing as 'age inappropriate' music. Would you force yourself to eat food not to your liking? Of course not. Mr.PD and I are often in the 'Darkest Desires' thread getting info on excellent dark metal music and neither of us are exactly spring chickens. That goes for DarkAngel as well if I'm not mistaken.

And if I'm alive a few decades from now I intend to be rock'n in my rocker & rolling with my walker!
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 43
There is no such thing as age inappropriate music, period, well maybe except pre-school music
wink.gif
it helps that you are 5 or younger when listening to that
wink.gif

Anyone who tries to tell you different is full of it, music is music and that is all that is to it.

Jun 11, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 43
My 45 year old friend just discovered Eminiem. Got all excited and ordered all his cds from Amazon.
rolleyes.gif

And then he tries to convince me I "must' listen to him. Eminem is a "voice of dissent doing the same thing Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young did in the 60s". This is where I gagged and realized my friend was having a mid-life crisis or had had a stroke. For some reason I just don't seem to be able to equate reciting dumb rhymes over a drum machine with four-part harmony and fantastic musicianship. Oh well.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 43
Enjoy whatever you like. At 46, I take pride in the fact that in the last couple of years I've gotten into bands like Tool and Yakuza, yet the wife and I attend at least 2 operas a year here in Chicago. And reading on this forum has gotten me into more stuff that is "not my age", like Godspeed You Black Emperor. Like you I get ribbed about what I listen to, but I enjoy the variety and that's all that counts.

A_Sr.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 43
hey, nothing wrong with eminem... I had the same realization as your friend a while ago when I stopped hating him long enough to actually listen to some of his music objectively... he has an amazing lyrical talent... of course, I'm not 45, but a lot of the music that I listen too is described as weird or old music by most of my friends...

on the other side of the spectrum, I think there is music that younger people shouldnt listen to... I could just imagine a 8 yr old listening to lovage... "what are they stroking daddy?"
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 43
As long as it's not Raffi or Sherri and Lampchop (showing my age there) there really isn't anything age-inappropriate.

I've entered my second century and am generally bored to tears with most music genres that are "appropriate" for my age.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Or would that be "my b**** isn't pickin' up what I'm layin' down"?
very_evil_smiley.gif

rotfl, Tom, stop it, you're killin' me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

So what's up with this? Is this as ridiculous as it seems from a distance?

Seems perfectly sane to me, but them I am one of us - certifiably nutso over music of all types, and the stuff that makes it sound real. I mean, I have my preferences, but whan I hear people talk of other genres or artists, I just gotta hear it for myself.

Quote:

What's next? Boy bands?
eek.gif

ok, well, maybe I'm not that curious.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 43
I am taking my son to his and my second Linkin Park concert. A father of one of my son's friends offered to take them to the show in August and I said I would take since I enjoy the music. He could not believe it, thought he was doing me a favor by asking. I am 44 and have been listening to rock music my whole life, why stop now. If you enjoy it that should be good enough.

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 43
"I'm getting too old for this ****."
- The day I say that in reference to music, please kill me.

Dude, I still listen to Black Sabbath. The epitomical adolescent white boy music. And I'm over 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back