After using balanced armature for so long, what difference will I notice with a dynamic?
Nov 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 12
I own the EX510 and I have auditioned the XBA-3. I'm jealous right now cause you get the LP version (regular long cord) which is not available in my area, meh.
tongue.gif

BA drivers have a delicate sewing-machine tinge to their sound that dynamic drivers lack.
The sonic impact of a dynamic driver will be more visceral across the board (not just bass).

you may not necessarily notice more bass on the EX510, because
1) the EX510 is semi-open, and provides way less isolation than the XBA-3, which buries some of its bass
2) the EX510 is tuned to be relatively neutral, while the XBA-3 is tuned to be entertaining
3) the XBA-3 is meant to be one step up from the EX510, not an equal.

Sony always engineers products to a very strict sense of hierarchy - their dynamic drivers are more capable according to size (16mm > 13.5mm > 9mm), but size itself is by no means an outstanding feature or the overlord among competing products, if you know what I mean.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 12
Going one or two steps up on Sony's dynamic line (EX600, EX800 aka MDR-7550) should give you better overall quality that's closer to the XBA-3. However I really suggest trying them out IRL for fit, if not sound - I have trouble getting a secure, comfortable fit on all of them, and they're alll relatively neutral.

Sticking with Sony, if you're going for the biggest contrast, a showcase of what dynamic can do that BA absolutely can't, there's the XB90EX. It's in the same class as the EX510, but what you lose in clarity and detail, you gain in waves and waves of awesome bass, executed really well imo.

I'll let everyone else add their suggestions for other brands :)

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 12
Going one or two steps up on Sony's dynamic line (EX600, EX800 aka MDR-7550) should give you better overall quality that's closer to the XBA-3. However I really suggest trying them out IRL for fit, if not sound - I have trouble getting a secure, comfortable fit on all of them, and they're alll relatively neutral.

Sticking with Sony, if you're going for the biggest contrast, a showcase of what dynamic can do that BA absolutely can't, there's the XB90EX. It's in the same class as the EX510, but what you lose in clarity and detail, you gain in waves and waves of awesome bass, executed really well imo.

I'll let everyone else add their suggestions for other brands :)

Interesting, I saw the xb90 but that "extra bass" part scared me away lol, I am certainly no basshead and tend to lean more towards clear natural sound.

With that being said it could be a nice contrast for certain types of music.

I would love to try the ex1000 but it costs too much for me, I hear the 7550 is kinda similar though, only thing is I dont like other the ear, they lack isolation and are a bit expensive too.

I will certainly keep the xb90 in mind though.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Actually I might just go with the xb90

The thought of a big soundstage and huge bass is exciting for certain albums/songs and its a nice contrast, would also serve nice to use as my workout headphones.

The xba3 is really versatile imo and works well with many genres.

I admit I will probably be tempted to get a real smooth clear sounding headphone to have the whole range lol! The ex1000 would fit that description but that price is out of the question for me, perhaps the 7550 later down the road.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 12
I think the BA drivers is Sony's way of getting smooth & clear sound, providing it at very high quality, but still provide isolation from outside noise.

With the EX510 Sony got the sound exactly as they intended, but they couldn't do it without opening a vent on the body :p Meanwhile the extra bass series, like XB90EX, gives Sony an excuse to completely seal the body, so the isolation is pretty good.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 12
I think the BA drivers is Sony's way of getting smooth & clear sound, providing it at very high quality, but still provide isolation from outside noise.

With the EX510 Sony got the sound exactly as they intended, but they couldn't do it without opening a vent on the body :p Meanwhile the extra bass series, like XB90EX, gives Sony an excuse to completely seal the body, so the isolation is pretty good.

Do you think the xb90 is on the quality level of xba3?

Regardless Im getting them as they offer a nice contrast and would be great for workouts but I wonder how they compare.

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 12
I find the xb 90 my finest iem, despite the 510 i also have. The soundstage, sound body, detail and clarity are there despite a tinge of distortion when all the eq levels are set to max on my walkman. It's not a bass bloater at all, though obviously it's hinged bass wise. Can't imagine a better iem at it's price, and it does a great job with 128 kpbs downloads as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back