1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

After triumph, what? Looking for the TF10 again.

Next

Last
  1. Hentai11
    Simply put: for me, the Triple .fi 10 is as good as it gets.

Highs: clear and present, but not harsh. No distortion, no sibilance. Not so much airy as accurate.

Mids: slightly recessed, but not fatally so. Without EQ, they can sound a little boxy.

Lows: Deep, rich, and true. For those of us who seethe when phones saw the nuts off of bass drums, string basses, and tubas, these are welcome relief. Proof positive that BA bass drivers are feasible.

Clarity: Very revealing. Not as revealing as the RE0s, but close.

A few points of comparison:

IE8: Bigger and warmer sound than the TF10, but lacks that BA treble detail.

SE530: Good clarity with lots of attack, but weak in the lower register.

Atrios M5: The closest contender. Just as deep, not quite as clear, not quite as bright. not quite as revealing.

My question, then: is this all there is, or are there others out there? The music mix is utterly eclectic, the budget is up to $500. From what I read, the W3 might be a close cousin. Am I far off?

2. james444 Contributor
  3. Spyro
    Sure it gets better. It's all about opinions and what we hear.

I owned TFP10 Pro for over a year and while I thought they were great, I would take W2, W3 and UM3X over them in a heartbeat. All three are more transparent.

I do not find TFP10 Pro midrange to have great clarity though. To me it is is main problem while the bass and treble and soundstage are excellent.

4. Hentai11
    The Ortofon BA/dynamic hybrid is intriguing, especially since BAs have a reputation for being a little weak-kneed in the lower register.

@Spyro: Any of the three? They're each really that much better? And I've found transparency one of my TF10's strengths.

5. tstarn06
    I have to disagree with my friend Spyro. I have owned W3, UM3X and now own, and love, the W2. However, I also feel the TF10, with the right tips, to be preferred over the UM3X. I rate the TF10 and the W2 as close, no winner, and as for the W3, I had it but could never get a great fit (could not use short tips or suffered the sibilance so many others note). So my guess is the W3 may outperform the TF10s if you can get the fit right.

I just don't have any midrange clarity issues with the Trips. Recessed a bit, yes. But not muddy nor unclear.

6. intoflatlines
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I just don't have any midrange clarity issues with the Trips. Recesses a but, yes. But not muddly nor unclear.

Agreed. [​IMG]

7. Glitched
    I was hoping the trips wouldn't make much of a 'thud' noise on every step I make walking outside. I'm not sure if its microphonics or the impact of each step rattling my buds slightly? I thought it was a cx300 thing but I guess this applies to all IEM's.

--Wanted to place this in the UE10 app thread but can't delete it.

8. tstarn06
    The large hybrids are actually a much better solution. Not as deep, but better seal. Unless of course they won't stay in your ears. That's the size I prefer, and I don't have large ear openings.

As for the foot thud, it's the IEM world.

9. mesasone
    If you are that satisfied with the TripleFi 10, why are you looking for another IEM? You should be happy with what you have and enjoy the music!

10. Photofan1986
    ^ agree.

11. Glitched
    I took the large sony hybrids to the campus center to test the isolation compared to the mediums today, I'm not certain but I think I had the volume
    maybe one or two notches down on my 3g itouch compared to yesterday's medium tips.

The change in isolation seemed slight at best. Bah. And I'll definitely look into getting a shirt clip to minimize the foot thuds. [​IMG]

12. Hentai11
    Quote:

If you are that satisfied with the TripleFi 10, why are you looking for another IEM? You should be happy with what you have and enjoy the music!

Phones are like women; just because you're in love doesn't mean you'll stay faithful--the new entices, and discovery awaits!

P.S.: Am I wearing the wrong shoes? If I can get the cable behind the ear,behind the neck, and in the shirt, I just don't get microphonic problems, ever.

13. Pianist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Read the Ortofon e-Q7 threads.

I second the Ortofon recommendation. I was about to sell them, but now I don't think I ever will. Well at least not until I have enough money to buy JH13 or JH16. [​IMG] Last night I stayed up until 5 am listening to the e-Q7. Actually I was about to go to sleep at around 2 am, but then I decided to try a few tracks by Jean Michelle Jarre (electronic) and just got sucked right into the music! The e-Q7 is absolutely incredible IEM - the bass has a kind of super definition that I've never heard from a headphone before, midrange is so detailed and clear that I often get this eerie feeling like I am on stage or in the studio where the music is being played, and the treble, while a bit more in the background compared to bass and mids, is nevertheless the most detailed I've heard in an IEM, but never harsh or sibilant, except when the source and/or recording is poor. The sound is also crystal clear and very fast with a really wide dynamic range and great sense of depth. I just couldn't be happier. I plan on doing an in-depth review of my own on these IEMs soon BTW if anyone's interested. I'll be comparing them with my RE0 and also with the other IEMs and headphones I own and used to own from memory. For now, I can say that out of all the headphones I owned and heard, these are definitely among the very best and in my humble opinion they can easily take on triple-driver custom IEMs like ES3X in sound quality. [​IMG]

14. Glitched
    I've had the cable behind the ear running down in front between my top and jacket. I could try taking the wire down the shirt, do you run it down the back or front?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Phones are like women; just because you're in love doesn't mean you'll stay faithful--the new entices, and discovery awaits!

P.S.: Am I wearing the wrong shoes? If I can get the cable behind the ear,behind the neck, and in the shirt, I just don't get microphonic problems, ever.

15. IpodHappy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitched /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I was hoping the trips wouldn't make much of a 'thud' noise on every step I make walking outside. I'm not sure if its microphonics or the impact of each step rattling my buds slightly? I thought it was a cx300 thing but I guess this applies to all IEM's.

--Wanted to place this in the UE10 app thread but can't delete it.

The thud noise comes from the weight and leverage of something moving in your ear canal while you're walking. When you walk, your ear canals change shape just a bit, your outer ears bounce just a bit, and this is what you hear. To minimize this noise, you need the lightest, smallest IEMs possible. The wires should be as flexible as possible, with a bit of "springy" loop over in front of the ears. I've found the foam tips to give me the best "motor mount" like isolation. My UE 700s give me the least walking thud of any of my IEMs. Due to fit and "walking thud" issues, I don't wear the Triple.Fi 10s while I'm walking--for that, it's the Westone W3, UM3X, Shure SE530s, Shure e500c, or the UE 700.

Just to hear how bad walking thuds can be, plug your ears with your fingers as you're walking.

To the point of this thread, I find the Triple.Fi 10s to be quite balanced, with a visceral kick when the kick drums sound. I love their sound stage and spaciousness, which is the main weakness of the UM3Xs, IMO. The Triple.Fi 10s and the W3s are what I turn to the most, followed by the UM3Xs.

Next

Last