After the Imod--what's next??
Jan 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Those of us that own Redwine's Imodded Ipod probably agree it's among the best sounding DAC on the market. Unfortunately, only the 4g and 5g Ipod models can be modded in this configuration.

Several weeks ago, Ithought my 5.5g Imod had given up the ghost; fortunately, a quick look from Vinnie meant it was only a false alarm. But that got me thinking: what happens when all the 5g and 4g Ipods go away? What could the next big Mod be for the Ipod?? Vinnie at Redwine has stated previously that the newer Ipods can't be modded like the Imod has been done, so whre do we go from here for Ipod mods???

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 21
You're making an assumption that the future will continue to be modding iPods. .............it remains to be seen what the future holds for other manufacturers..........and, I would still like Apple to program with .flac or ape and others in mind. Rockbox does not fill the bill IMO (for iPod).
You have had a couple of mfgrs who produce daps that already work with those formats, if they re-jiggered their product lines creatively it could be an interesting avenue for us.........it's like the history of the world - there are rises and falls.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 21
It could take years for the back-stock of 4G and 5/5.5G iPods to become scarce. I still see them all over fleabay.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 21
New yet-to-be-released DAP with digital output, allowing your to feed a portable external DAC.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're making an assumption that the future will continue to be modding iPods. .............it remains to be seen what the future holds for other manufacturers..........and, I would still like Apple to program with .flac or ape and others in mind. Rockbox does not fill the bill IMO (for iPod).
You have had a couple of mfgrs who produce daps that already work with those formats, if they re-jiggered their product lines creatively it could be an interesting avenue for us.........it's like the history of the world - there are rises and falls.

The future would be modding Ipods only to improve their sonic quality I recall Ken at ALO saying how he loved the Itouch. My question is simply of one wondering how the SQ of the current or future Ipods can be enhanced; or, will this enhancement be necessary??

And forsberg: ain't about "style", it's about sonic quality. Those of us who have Imods understand their quality, and it isn't only about style

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 21
Mike - Apple has already made a statement re any SQ modding future with the intro. of the Classic iPod. You cannot prognosticate with a high degree of intellectual certitude any more than a Global Warming "Terrorist". Like sunspots, or orbital variations - Apple could also change their approach and alter all that you might suppose they may do in the future. It is entirely possible that the iPod might disappear altogether and be supplanted by an entirely different sort of product.......or, reappear as an extension to a current product eg. take a look at the multi-talented Blackberry that Verizon is promoting.......think of how much it may be extended beyond it's current state.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 21
why only ipod? you may try Sony PCM-D50.....it has:
1) optical in(line in)
2) optical out(line out)
3) also play 24/96khz wav files

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) optical in(line in)
2) optical out(line out)

Because I wanted the discussion based around the future of modding the Ipod for increased sound quality, something that Redwine has researched and done phenomenally well. I realize there are countless other DACs out there; my concern was only with Ipod and its future, something that Bushguy sort of "nailed"

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 21
How about a small DAP with HOST USB out such that you can have the small Pico Dac/Amp working for you.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) optical in(line in)
2) optical out(line out)

I have a PCM-D50 and believe me, it is not meant to be a listening device, especially a portable one like the iMod. It is big and heavy, although not as much as the PCM-D1, and it's control interface is made for recording not playback. Also, unless you are recording and/or mastering and/or encoding your own music, there isn't much 24/96 music available.

It is a great device, just not a great portable DAP.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of us that own Redwine's Imodded Ipod probably agree it's among the best sounding DAC on the market.

I think you are being mislead. Not many owners argue that the iPods' DAC is 'the best sounding on the market'... indeed most recognise it is far from it.

If I was in a position to create something impressive for the portable world it would be a portable DAC/AMP that accepts optical in.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 21
Currently I use an iphone 3g, the sound quality is good out of this dap imo, though having owned an imod I don't think it is on a par, but it is closer than I would like to admit to myself without the LOD and the amp needed for an imod.

Perhaps with the increasingly negative press regarding lossy formats, and the growing realization of what is lost through them, apple will move in a direction that accommodates hifi losless playback, probably not! I am fairly convinced that at the RD stage, the apple techs don't say to themselves, OK lets make a really crappy audio output section just to annoy audiophiles! It is probably a trade off with the other technologies, after all the ipod/phone/touch technologies and aesthetics are pretty spectacular.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And forsberg: ain't about "style", it's about sonic quality. Those of us who have Imods understand their quality, and it isn't only about style

On this forum that is true. But in the real world, 99.9999% of ipod users, it's about style more that sonic quality. Most people just want to be able to listen to their favorite songs in the slickest looking gadget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back