After TF10s, Radius HP TWD and Westone 3...
Aug 10, 2012 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Peculier

100+ Head-Fier
A little background on my audio quest. I started out with a pair of Klipsch S4i couple of years ago. Then when I got more interested in audio, I purchased the Radius HP-TWF11R Pro and I liked them, despite the lack of a good seal because of the design of the earphone. Then, they broke. I researched a bit more, and bought myself a pair of TF10s and an aftermarket cable totalling around 300 dollars. I adored the TF10s. I liked how clear they sounded, and I felt that if the mids were just a touch bit more forward, they would have been the perfect earphones. Then, one unfortunate day, I tried to change the Comply tips on them, but the entire housing of the driver separated from the cable segment, and it broke. (Obviously.)

For a few more weeks I searched around, looking for my next pair of IEMs. I decided that the Westone 3, with their similar U or V shaped sound, would suit me best. They arrived, and I was taken aback by how bloated and muddy they sounded (to me). The mids were even more recessed than the TF10s and the mid bass bloat made everything sort of meld together and sound really congested. I didn't like them at all. They also did sound slightly veiled to me. I tried all the different included tips, but couldn't get an improvement. I cannot foresee myself keeping these for very long, and I am still fiddling with EQ settings to try and make them sound decent. I'm not saying the Westones are bad, I just don't like the way they sound. I was rather disappointed, to say the least, after reading so many people wax lyrical about the abilities of these earphones.

I am now looking for yet another pair of earphones, and am considering something neutral and accurate, like the ER-4 from Etymotic. I have tried almost all of the top end multi-BA universals like the SM3v1/v2, the Shure SE535s, the CK100/10, and the thing I didn't like about these IEMs were the mid-centric sound signature. I really want something that will play back my music as neutrally and as accurately as possible, but I value overall clarity and detail the most. I am interested in the Sony EX-1000 and other high end dynamics like the FX-700, but both of those suffer from isolation issues.

All listening done through a MBP with FLAC via Songbird, out via optical to a Yulong D100 DAC/Amp. I listen to a wide variety of music, with the exceptions of Jazz, Blues and really heavy metal. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me along my way? Any EQ tips to save my Westones before I sell them? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 24
Go for a neutral signature.if you want isolation and better mids, then the Heir 4.Ai.
If you want better bass, sacrifice the isolation and get EX1000.

I have tried 40 IEMs and these are the top 2.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 24
I'm leaning more towards universals because of the resale value problem with customs (despite Heir's special policy stuff). Any suggestions? Price generally isn't an issue, I just don't like the idea of having to get impressions and deal with mailing and whatnot. Especially since now I realize that it's possible for me to not like something that's supposedly good. Thanks.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 24
I'm leaning more towards universals because of the resale value problem with customs (despite Heir's special policy stuff). Any suggestions? Price generally isn't an issue, I just don't like the idea of having to get impressions and deal with mailing and whatnot. Especially since now I realize that it's possible for me to not like something that's supposedly good. Thanks.

4Ai, is a universal, made by Heir. They're very new. :wink: Swimsonny will tell you more.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 24
Why didnt you fix the Radius or TF10 or they run out of warranty?
I would recommend Ortofon e-Q5 or e-Q7. Balanced Single Driver truly  Neutral and accurate sounding earphones.
For Dynamic type ,  FX700 is a great choice but hard to get outside japan.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 24
Radius was quite possibly the worst repair experience I've ever had. The shop actually let me take another brand new unit instead of getting it fixed. The replacement ALSO broke within a few months. The TF10s were out of warranty, yes. The FX700 IS hard to get out of Japan and is really expensive to import, but the main reason I'm avoiding it is because I have a need for isolation. I've never tried the Ortofon series because I don't think I can find them to audition locally. I can audition almost every other IEM and the whole line of UM and JH customs, though.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
I agree the EQ-5 I'd amazing one of my favourite IEMs but the Heir is just something else. And yes they do and they are as good as they look
wink.gif

I'm really interested in the 4Ai now, but I guess I should wait for some reviews (especially once the lucky draw thing is over) before I spend again hahaha. If you have them, could you give me some details on your experience?

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
I'm really interested in the 4Ai now, but I guess I should wait for some reviews (especially once the lucky draw thing is over) before I spend again hahaha. If you have them, could you give me some details on your experience?

You should be. I just saw that you want isolation and these do that just great, nearly to an etymotic ability and a lot better than anything you have had (have not tried the S4) but have a OEM of the DDM.

I have posted three sets of impressions so far and my reviews is being written.

Go to the first post of the thread link i sent you and look at the impressions i have wrote. They are not released until sept first and i am one of 2 owners at the moment.

Impressions:

SwimSonny's Comparison with the Aurisonics ASG-1 - post #25

SwimSonny's Comparison with the Sony MDR-EX1000 - post #38

Swimcoleby's Impressions - post #65

Sorensiim's First Initial Impression's - post #85

Sorensiim's First Comparison with the 3.Ai - post #100

SwimSonny's Comparison with the Fischer Audio DBA-02 - post #142

Unboxing Videos:

SwimSonny's:

Heir Audio 4.Ai Earphone Unboxing

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
You should be. I just saw that you want isolation and these do that just great, nearly to an etymotic ability and a lot better than anything you have had (have not tried the S4) but have a OEM of the DDM.

I have posted three sets of impressions so far and my reviews is being written.

Go to the first post of the thread link i sent you and look at the impressions i have wrote. They are not released until sept first and i am one of 2 owners at the moment.

Impressions:

SwimSonny's Comparison with the Aurisonics ASG-1 - post #25

SwimSonny's Comparison with the Sony MDR-EX1000 - post #38

Swimcoleby's Impressions - post #65

Sorensiim's First Initial Impression's - post #85

Sorensiim's First Comparison with the 3.Ai - post #100

SwimSonny's Comparison with the Fischer Audio DBA-02 - post #142

Unboxing Videos:

SwimSonny's:

Heir Audio 4.Ai Earphone Unboxing

Very much appreciated. I look forward to picking a pair of these up. Time to find a buyer for my Westones!

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 24
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 24
Try getting some shure black olives or comply tips for your W3, they sound much better with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back