After Market Headphone Cables...what do they do?
Mar 25, 2006 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ploop

Head-Fier
Sorry, i know this is probably a noob question to all of you head-fi experts
basshead.gif
but what does recabling do? Does it change the sound? Eliminate static....

also, i have E4's. Would recabling them make them better in some way???

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploop
Sorry, i know this is probably a noob question to all of you head-fi experts
basshead.gif
but what does recabling do? Does it change the sound? Eliminate static....

also, i have E4's. Would recabling them make them better in some way???

Aftermarket cables change the sound. They are made out of more conductive/pure materiels so you get better signal quality. I don't believe you can recable IEMs. Even if you can I think that it would be mighty challenging.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 6
I doubt there is even a recable option on E4's (could be wrong though). Recables are more usually available for full sized cans than IEM's- the basic principle is the same as upgrading the interconnects and/or speaker cable in a hifi setup- that is to be as transparent as possible, to preserve the signal as best as possible, and/or to change the sound signature of the headphones to a degree (eg using Silver cables for greater detail, a more analytical sound, or using high quality oxygen free copper cables for a warmer sound).

Stock cables are obviously geared towards both limiting cost and also the sonic qualities the designer looked for. Recabling removes the budget aspect and gives you the individual choice on cable type.

Now if only I could afford a Headphile Woody/recable...
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Recabling empties your wallet faster.

Bwahahah, classic!
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 6
reason why they exist, 1, to get better sound quality/more resolution by using better materials and better build, 2. to change the sound-make it smoother/brighter/exciting. etc... 3, to overdo everything.
iems: some can be recables, like the Super fi 5pros which have a sennheiser like system of recabling. but for shure headphones one would need to do a bit of sodering and possibly/dangerously open the case to get into the driver. but it can be done (in theory).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back