After market cabling for HD650
Jul 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dadozen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my HD650s and thought about some cables. Also I have already done an extensive search in this forum to read about my options, and although I really liked what I read about the Zu Mobius, the budget wouldn't allow me to get one. Also, note that I'm in Brazil, so I'd have to pay custom taxes in order to get any of them, which increases the price considerably. So I'm thinking about a s/h Cardas, plus it seems to be the least microphonic sensitive due to its shielding.

My question is: would changing the stock cable do a considerable difference in my current rigs( both portable and stationary - check sig )? I'm aware that I should invest first in sources and amps, but what I can afford now is a s/h cable upgrade.

Also, a very very very stupid question, but I need to ask: does the soundcard matter in my stationary rig if I listen to music in my laptop using the USB port directly into the DAC of my Cantate.2? I'm supposing it doesn't, but just to confirm:lol:

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Btw, where I can find a reasonable priced but qulity 1/4 to mini conector? I checked the ALO Audio webstore and one of those would cost me around $170 plus shipping, which is more than I'm expecting to pay for the cable:frowning2:

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 13
A lot of people are going to tell you to buy a cable, but I owned the Cardas and the HD-650 for awhile and it was completely worthless. Alright, it was a nicely made cable and it looked good. But it did nothing with the sound. It sounded exactly the same whether the Cardas or stock cable was installed.

Instead, put your money into something that actually makes a difference. Buy an old turntable or a CD player. Buy a vintage FM tuner. Buy more music. All of those provide real benefits and real enjoyment. Or you could just leave the money in the bank and save it.

Putting a cable on your headphones to change the sound is like painting your car a different color to make it go faster. There's just no correlation there. No one has ever measured a difference between cables and no one has ever heard the difference with their eyes closed.

People will disagree on test methodology, but I'll put them to a very different sort of test at the next CanJam. I am going to have people listen to deliberately damaged cables, ones made out of paperclips, ones with resistors soldered into the middle, and so on. Of course, there will be some nice ones in there, too. Then I'm going to ask for written reviews of each cable. I think we'll find that coathangers and cables soaked in seawater for a month sound every bit as good as the "expensive" ones.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Uncle Erik, thans for your comments.

But the Cardas didn't even take the vein out? I understand that the cable only won't make a night and day difference, but won't it brighten the sound at least a bit?

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
does the soundcard matter in my stationary rig if I listen to music in my laptop using the USB port directly into the DAC of my Cantate.2? I'm supposing it doesn't, but just to confirm:lol:

the worst culprit in your set up (besides the cables :)) is probably the USB of the VAIO's. have you considered using a USB interface like the HiFace? I strongly suggest you do. I can't use the pc without it.

so the answer to your question is, yes. you're gonna need either a soundcard or dac that has a SPDIF connection to use the HiFace.

worthy upgrade imo

Quote:
Btw, where I can find a reasonable priced but qulity 1/4 to mini conector?

here?

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Lenni, thanks for your insight, actually I have thought about getting the HiFace, but my Cantate.2 doesn't have a SPDIF input. I'd have to upgrade my amp, which is not a bad idea:D

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 13
I have a review coming up featuring the new Whiplash TWag Reference X replacement cables for the HDxxx.  I can say from personal experience that the new Whiplash cable makes a huge improvement over the stock HD650 cable.  I cannot compare it against the Cardas, because I have never owned it, nor listened to it.  Because of this cable, the HD650 is now my preferred full-sized can.

The review should be online by tomorrow.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Lenni, thanks for your insight, actually I have thought about getting the HiFace, but my Cantate.2 doesn't have a SPDIF input. I'd have to upgrade my amp, which is not a bad idea:D

buy a cheap second-hand soundcard (I doubt the VAIO's on-board soundcard will be better), and you're done, imo. you should be pleasantly surprised with the improvement in SQ. I doubt any cable will offer better performance than the HiFace. imo

Quote:
How ?, not being confrontational, but how will the different cable do this ?

because it just does... that's how. I cannot believe you asked that question.
it must have been circulating around in circles for like... thirty years? 
rolleyes.gif
 lol

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Uncle Erik wrote:

Instead, put your money into something that actually makes a difference.

Nothing wrong with dressing the HD-650 up with per-ty cables.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

buy a cheap second-hand soundcard (I doubt the VAIO's on-board soundcard will be better), and you're done, imo. you should be pleasantly surprised with the improvement in SQ. I doubt any cable will offer better performance than the HiFace. imo

Lenni, if I get the HiFace and a DAC/AMP which supports SPDIF, I won't be needing a new soundcard, right?

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Have you searched in the sale forum for a used Zu Mobius ?

Yeah, I did:wink:

EDIT: Actually, searching again, I found one which is not marked as sold, and the last bump was in June. What a crapy search function..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back