After iBasso IT01 Recommendations
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

crax1905

Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I have been using IT01 about 2 years. I like it too much but want to try new earpones. You know that when you start to make this hobby, you can't block yourself to don't purchase new things.

I am generally listen to Techno, house, trance, pop, R/B and Rap music. Sometimes listen to Hip-hop, classical music, rock, metal and Turkish Folk music. I know that the list pretty complicated but yes it is.

My budget is max $200 and I want to feel the difference between IT01 and new one. I will drive my new ones with Fiio BTR5. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Guys I got some advices; FLC 8N, FLC 8D, Fiio FA7, LZ A6, LZ A6 Mini, ISN H40, iBasso IT01s, IKKO OH10, Audiosense T800. My budget is maximum 399.99 dollar. But If I can find cheaper one, I may purchase it. I will use my new ones with FiiO BTR5. My first option to buy is FLC 8N, and 2. option is FLC 8D. As I see the comments of T800, It has bad high frequences and may have sibilance. I am waiting for your advices. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 20
Hello everyone. I have been using IT01 about 2 years. I like it too much but want to try new earpones. You know that when you start to make this hobby, you can't block yourself to don't purchase new things.

I am generally listen to Techno, house, trance, pop, R/B and Rap music. Sometimes listen to Hip-hop, classical music, rock, metal and Turkish Folk music. I know that the list pretty complicated but yes it is.

My budget is max $200 and I want to feel the difference between IT01 and new one. I will drive my new ones with Fiio BTR5. Thanks in advance.

What sound signature do u prefer? Neutral, harman tuned, V shaped, more or less treble/bass?
I would think for techno/trance/house, more bass forward IEMs are better for u?

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 20

Hi @crax1905,

Hard to 'beat' the IT 01, still my favourite IEM for the $100 mark.

Some others I suggest looking into are listed in no particular order :

IT 01s (Worth stretching your budget for & closer in sound signature to IT 04, also good alternative to IT 04 without spending for IT 04)
Periodic Carbon (Worth stretching your budget for & now 35% off)
Meze 12 Classics
Vain Stlm Originals

Hope you find these useful but honestly, genre aside, subjectively & personally the IT 01s on my suggested list is the only IEM which gives the most value for money & the next IEM you will have fun with.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 20
What sound signature do u prefer? Neutral, harman tuned, V shaped, more or less treble/bass?
I would think for techno/trance/house, more bass forward IEMs are better for u?
I am actually listening to techno/trance/house but not always. As I know IT01 is V shaped and I like the way of its sounding. Also I have M50X which has pretty comments about it has V shaped sound. Btw, also like M50X sound. For these reasons, please don't hesitate to suggest me.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 20
Hi @crax1905,

Hard to 'beat' the IT 01, still my favourite IEM for the $100 mark.

Some others I suggest looking into are listed in no particular order :

IT 01s (Worth stretching your budget for & closer in sound signature to IT 04, also good alternative to IT 04 without spending for IT 04)
Periodic Carbon (Worth stretching your budget for & now 35% off)
Meze 12 Classics
Vain Stlm Originals

Hope you find these useful but honestly, genre aside, subjectively & personally the IT 01s on my suggested list is the only IEM which gives the most value for money & the next IEM you will have fun with.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of guys who compared IT01 and IT01 mostly still like IT01 and for this reason I can't go with IT01s. And also Periodic Carbon is too pricy for me and the other ones aren't better than IT01 I think.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 20
I am actually listening to techno/trance/house but not always. As I know IT01 is V shaped and I like the way of its sounding. Also I have M50X which has pretty comments about it has V shaped sound. Btw, also like M50X sound. For these reasons, please don't hesitate to suggest me.

I heard M50x before, but it was briefly and i think the bass was elevated but the mids/treble was quite flat. I wouldn't call it V shaped but maybe u have spent more time with it than my brief audition.

I think IT01 is gonna be hard to beat at the $100 mark. The upgrades from there are gonna be dimishing returns. U are not gonna get something twice better in sound at $200, that's just how this hobby is the higher u go up.

I listen to EDM occasionally and use the TFZ No. 3. It was $129 previously but now is around $100ish. Great subbass and quite good clarity/details. It might turn out to be a sidegrade to your IT01 though, but worth checking out some reviews on it.

My favourite set and end game multi BA/hybrid is the Audiosense T800, U shaped, though it $298. Excellent details and can hit 80 - 90% sound quality of some TOTL flagship IEMs. It is ~ $270ish on black friday, but probably still out of your budget.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the suggestions. Some of guys who compared IT01 and IT01 mostly still like IT01 and for this reason I can't go with IT01s. And also Periodic Carbon is too pricy for me and the other ones aren't better than IT01 I think.

@crax1905,

As said, hard to get better & I will add or different to IT 01.
That is a very good to outstanding IEM, no question.

I have heard the comparisons a lot but honestly I don't really see that especially since IT 01s uses a totally different DD, different implementation & tuning but everyone has their own opinion.
I suggest keep the IT 01s as one to consider in future if you don't want to go for it now...

The only reason I suggested the other IEMs, whether you're interested or not, is aside from differences in price, all fit your requirements to some degree.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 20
I heard M50x before, but it was briefly and i think the bass was elevated but the mids/treble was quite flat. I wouldn't call it V shaped but maybe u have spent more time with it than my brief audition.

I think IT01 is gonna be hard to beat at the $100 mark. The upgrades from there are gonna be dimishing returns. U are not gonna get something twice better in sound at $200, that's just how this hobby is the higher u go up.

I listen to EDM occasionally and use the TFZ No. 3. It was $129 previously but now is around $100ish. Great subbass and quite good clarity/details. It might turn out to be a sidegrade to your IT01 though, but worth checking out some reviews on it.

My favourite set and end game multi BA/hybrid is the Audiosense T800, U shaped, though it $298. Excellent details and can hit 80 - 90% sound quality of some TOTL flagship IEMs. It is ~ $270ish on black friday, but probably still out of your budget.
I may be interested in T800, Can it be drived with BTR5 do you think? @baskingshark Btw thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Guys I got some advices; FLC 8N, FLC 8D, Fiio FA7, LZ A6, LZ A6 Mini, ISN H40, iBasso IT01s, IKKO OH10, Audiosense T800. My budget is maximum 399.99 dollar. But If I can find cheaper one, I may purchase it. I will use my new ones with FiiO BTR5. My first option to buy is FLC 8N, and 2. option is FLC 8D. As I see the comments of T800, It has bad high frequences and may have sibilance. I am waiting for your advices. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 20
My budget is max $200 and I want to feel the difference between IT01 and new one.

I would agree that the No. 3 would probably be more of a sidegrade. It's got a similar frequency response to the IT01, but with a more thumpy/impactfull bass and a narrower soundstage.

If OP doesn't mind tip-rolling/etc. and possibly having to cut the earguides off the stock cable, I'd say maybe get a BLON Bl-03 and save the rest of the budget for later. The BL-03 has a more mid-forward tuning than the IT01 that would be a potentially good change of pace.

My current go-tos in the price range are the BQEYZ Spring 1 and the Advanced GT3 Superbass, both of which would be a big step up from the IT01 in technical performance. But the Spring 1 out of the box has a somewhat wonky timbre, and takes modding and/or EQ to sound its best, and I know OP is not interested in EQ. Still, I'd probably take the stock Spring 1 over the IT01. The Spring has excellent detail and imaging without sounding clinical or harsh.

The Superbass is normally overpriced, but there's a great coupon code on right now apparently. Great mids and subbass extension, but it runs quite dark without EQ-ing treble.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 20
I would agree that the No. 3 would probably be more of a sidegrade. It's got a similar frequency response to the IT01, but with a more thumpy/impactfull bass and a narrower soundstage.

If OP doesn't mind tip-rolling/etc. and possibly having to cut the earguides off the stock cable, I'd say maybe get a BLON Bl-03 and save the rest of the budget for later. The BL-03 has a more mid-forward tuning than the IT01 that would be a potentially good change of pace.

My current go-tos in the price range are the BQEYZ Spring 1 and the Advanced GT3 Superbass, both of which would be a big step up from the IT01 in technical performance. But the Spring 1 out of the box has a somewhat wonky timbre, and takes modding and/or EQ to sound its best, and I know OP is not interested in EQ. Still, I'd probably take the stock Spring 1 over the IT01. The Spring has excellent detail and imaging without sounding clinical or harsh.

The Superbass is normally overpriced, but there's a great coupon code on right now apparently. Great mids and subbass extension, but it runs quite dark without EQ-ing treble.
Thanks for the reply, I increased my budget, could you look earphones that I typed down above?

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Moondrop Kanas, TFZ No.3, FiiO FH5, Final S5000... All have lots of bass, with varying degrees of treble. I’d say they all are better than the IT01 but that’s a pretty subjective assessment since it’s partially based on a preferred tuning. Some of these are more than $200 new, but can be found on sale for around $200.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Moondrop Kanas, TFZ No.3, FiiO FH5, Final S5000... All have lots of bass, with varying degrees of treble. I’d say they all are better than the IT01 but that’s a pretty subjective assessment since it’s partially based on a preferred tuning. Some of these are more than $200 new, but can be found on sale for around $200.
I upgraded my budget to 399.99 dollars. There is FLC 8N to buy in my mind. What do you think? If I can't buy 8N, my second one in the list is FLC 8D.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 20
I may be interested in T800, Can it be drived with BTR5 do you think? @baskingshark Btw thanks for the advice.

I've not used the BTR5, so can't comment for sure, but T800 can extract a lot of microdetails and dynamics with a better source, compared to some lowend smart phone. It can be driven from a smartphone, but it doesn't sound too far away from some $50 USD CHIFI multi BA/hybrid IEMs as such. But once u hook it up to a good source, it really scales better.

T800 is harsh on the treble, but it can be tamed with knowles filters, eartips or even cable change (if u believe in cables making a difference to sound). I don't hear any sibilance on it after using it for 5 months with various filters/eartips, and even the stock configuration. But yeah if u are treble sensitive, it is not the best option.

I saw the GT3 Superbass on 70% off for Black Friday. I know it is a bit older (released 2018), so how does it stack against the recent 2019 releases? How is the timbre?

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 20
I saw the GT3 Superbass on 70% off for Black Friday. I know it is a bit older (released 2018), so how does it stack against the recent 2019 releases? How is the timbre?

I don't have a big collection, my only newer IEMs than the Superbass are the BL03 and the Spring 1.

Superbass overall runs warm & dark. Mids are great. (They should maybe have called it the Supermids) The bass is too, although it's not typical basshead DD bass. It's not highly elevated -- overall a pretty linear frequency response. But the bass is very high quality and the subbass in particular is great and mildly emphasized over the midbass. If you want to crank it up to basshead levels with EQ, you absolutely can. The bass is very fast for a dynamic, almost like a planar in terms of speed. A very good IEM if you value texture & detail in the bass frequencies. They're pretty hard to drive for an IEM, with medium impedance and low sensitivity.

The weak point of the Superbass is the treble, which is rolled off and a little weird. This can be corrected in EQ. The timbre is good IMO. Advanced has put out a hybrid (the Furai) using the Superbass driver plus BAs, which seems like a good idea, but I haven't heard it myself.

Value-wise, when I bought it, the Superbass was $200, which felt reasonable to me. The price later went up to $350, which is too much IMO. But with a 70% discount, it's a good deal if you're willing to EQ the wonky treble. One caveat: my first pair separated at the seam due to the glue failing, and one other person has reported the same thing. Advanced replaced mine promptly, no complaints on customer service. I don't think it's a notably high failure rate, but possibly something to be aware of if they're clearing out their stock.

The Spring 1 has much better detail retrieval and imaging (it's really excellent in these areas), but the bass is looser. It has nice bass impact, especially after modding and EQ, but not outstanding bass quality. The mids on the Spring 1 are recessed, more so than I would prefer. (Again, can EQ this.) Spring 1's stock timbre is weird. Doing the grill mod improves timbre quite a bit, but negatively impacts the tuning, at least for me.

In comparison to both, the BL-03 gets trounced in all areas except tuning (much better, requires little to no correction outside of getting a good seal) and timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back