After carefully reviewing even more threads on 2 specific cans, I have...
Mar 27, 2006 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
After carefully reviewing even more threads on the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and the Sennheiser HD 650, I have come to the conclusion that I will call Sam Ash Music Store tomorrow morning and switch my order from the Beyerdynamic DT 880 to the Sennheiser HD 650.

Why?

When I first bought the BOSE QC2's and returned them 2 days later, I went on a quest to find the best headphone for my musical tastes for $300 bucks. So I stumbled across a few headphone forums and decided that this was the best, most informative, and most active one.

I came here and asked many questions after doing some blind research and then refined my research after reading you guy's opinions and reviews. I then landed on 3 brands for $300 bucks. The DT 880, The HD 595, and the SR 325i.

After reading even more, I decided that I would like to get the DT 880 and the SR 325i. So I decided that I would get the DT 880 first, and then the 325i in the near future. I was convinced that I had chosen the BEST headphone for my musical tastes for $300 bucks. People had suggested the HD 650 in passing but I disregarded it because the price where I checked had them costing $500 bucks.

Had I known the price was only $325, I would have definately considered it before ordering the DT 880's; especially with the price only being $25 bucks more than I paid for the DT 880's. So after starting a few threads regarding both headphones and carefully reading all replies therin, I have decided that I would "most likely" prefer the HD 650 sound over the DT 880's.

Why? Well, while I do listen to slow-paced and relaxing classical music, I still do listen to R&B a lot. Actually, I listen to R&B a WHOLE LOT. And after reading that both cans had these beautiful "specific brand-flavored" midranges, I decided that the HD 650's warm, smooth, thick, and full midrange would be more appealing to me than the DT 880's "smooth and airy" midrange. Also, After hearing the Grado SR 125's and hearing firsthand what "bright" sound was, I started to regret my DT 880 purchase because I didn't like that SR 125 brightness at all. And then I remembered reading that the DT 880 had a bright treble; something that I now did not want.

So to make a long story shorter, I had been wrestling with this decision up until about 20 minutes ago. I was just going to buy both, the DT 880 first, and the HD 650 later in April. Also, I kept trying to convince myself that I should just give the DT 880's a try first before switching my order to the HD 650's but as time kept pressing on, the switch became more and more what I want to do.

So, there you have it folks. I will be getting the Sennheiser HD 650's instead of the DT 880's. I listen to Classical, R&B, Alt Rock, Classic Rock, "Electronica", and Hip Hop mainly and I have come to the conclusion that the HD 650 would suit my tastes for these types of music more overall than the 880. While I may probably miss the open, airy, and accurate presentation of classical music that I "could have had" from the 880, that is something I can deal with in regards to getting more of what I want with the 650.

And yes, I will probably get the 880's in late April anyway lol.

Thanx guys for all your help!

Have any of you guys been through something similiar?

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 10
Hang on, I don't think you're going to find a better classical music presentation than what the 650s give you. They're regarded as some of the best classical headphones around, it's one of their fortes.
And airy? Yeah, that's the 650. The difference between the 880s and the 650s is very slight. I don't find the 880s to be bright. To me and my short time with them, the 650s and 880s seemed very, very close.
However, you really will need and amp for the 650s, and I mean need. They really don't do very well without a good one.
Rest easy, you made a good choice.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
Hang on, I don't think you're going to find a better classical music presentation than what the 650s give you. They're regarded as some of the best classical headphones around, it's one of their fortes.
And airy? Yeah, that's the 650. The difference between the 880s and the 650s is very slight. I don't find the 880s to be bright. To me and my short time with them, the 650s and 880s seemed very, very close.
However, you really will need and amp for the 650s, and I mean need. They really don't do very well without a good one.
Rest easy, you made a good choice.

Cool, good to hear. Which amp would you suggest "around" (lol) the $300 range? Should I get the Cradas Cable upgrade or can I get that later?

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 10
I might compare the new DT880 and HD650 sometime in the next two weeks: i'll post impressions if that's the case.

for now i think an amp would be the best choice. I think you might have a good shot with an eddie current, which retails for around 350. also a Mcubed does well, and the Meier HAI MKII are good 300 dollar amps.
cable-the cardas cable, imho, is made to satisfy sennheiser fans who listen to rock or like the AT sound, the Blue dragon and equionx, i think, sound much better with classical music.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
I might compare the new DT880 and HD650 sometime in the next two weeks: i'll post impressions if that's the case.

for now i think an amp would be the best choice. I think you might have a good shot with an eddie current, which retails for around 350. also a Mcubed does well, and the Meier HAI MKII are good 300 dollar amps.
cable-the cardas cable, imho, is made to satisfy sennheiser fans who listen to rock or like the AT sound, the Blue dragon and equionx, i think, sound much better with classical music.

I would definately be interested in the comparison. Thanx for the amp recomendations as well.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Headroom Micro with Desktop Module is usually regarded as a top choice.

There's no urgent need for a cable upgrade - I'd spend on the amp first.

This will probably be the one I get.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 10
I did it! I cancelled my DT 880 order and bought the HD 650's a few hours ago from Headroom! They will be here Wednesday morning!!

You know what else, I think it was meant to happen this way lol. When I called up Sam Ash to ask if I could cancel my Special Order DT 880's, they said sure I could, I just have to come in and pick up my cash. The salesman said that it would be wiser to order from an online site anyway because I was looking at at least another 3-4 weeks of waiting time before they would get them in.

So actually, everything turned out great! I am still getting the DT 880's next month though.

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Congrats, and always a great idea to go with your intuition when buying headphones, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back