After a year with Grados, i finally think they *are* bright 'phones
Aug 9, 2002 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

erikiksaz

100+ Head-Fier
After reading for countless hours before buying my sr325s, i have just realized, a whole friggen year after buying them, that they ARE bright. I was listening to Korn with my Etys, when i decided that i feel more like an open can, so i threw on my Grados. Soon enough, i started to hear what i believe you guys describe as "bright" sound/music. How strange, huh?

Aug 9, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 15
CHA47. Ahh, even though they're bright, i still love 'em to death
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 15
erikiksaz
I also think that my SR-325s are on the bright side. But dont find them fatiguing.
But there are ways to reduce brighness of the cans. I would be getting a creek obh11se soon which is considered to be on the warm side and supposedly has a good synergy with grados.

Also pads make a lot of difference. Comfy/flat pads reduce the treble energy a bit compared to the bowl pads.

cheers
RawHit

Aug 9, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by rawhit
erikiksaz
I also think that my SR-325s are on the bright side. But dont find them fatiguing.
But there are ways to reduce brighness of the cans. I would be getting a creek obh11se soon which is considered to be on the warm side and supposedly has a good synergy with grados.

Also pads make a lot of difference. Comfy/flat pads reduce the treble energy a bit compared to the bowl pads.

cheers
RawHit

Grados are only bright in comparison to some other headphones. As for the Creek OBH-11SE, I wish the hell someone would decide once, and for all whether this amp is analytical, or warm!
confused.gif

Aug 9, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by rawhit
I would be getting a creek obh11se soon which is considered to be on the warm side and supposedly has a good synergy with grados.

I like my headphones/source combo the way it is right now, and was thinking of getting the Creek OBH-11, but if what you say is true, that the Creek is on the warm side, than would adding a Creek cause the sound to be warmer? I was hoping that it wouldn't do anything to the top-end, because I don't want it any warmer!

Aug 9, 2002 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 15
crescendopower & statix

unfortunately I cant audition the creek (or most amps for that matter) before buying so I cant comment on whether its analytical or warm.
I have decided to try the creek based on most comment that it matches well with grados.

I will post what I think about the amp after I have spent some time with the unit.

greetings
RawHit

Aug 9, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 15
They are bright! but don't you think they reveal things you wouldn't have heard.
On the other hand, their brightness hides some mids and vocals.
Just my thoughts,
md

Aug 9, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 15
Don't have the 325 so can't comment - every Grado phone seems to generate totally different reviews while people almost unanimously say they like them... Weird.

I've seen the SR225's being described as 'bright' and 'dark' in the course of one day searching for reviews.

I've seen the SR60's being criticised for 'no bass' by HD280 owners (they have very similar bass in a quiet room), while others say the bass is great...

It just goes to show, go with what you like.

Aug 9, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 15
the only grados that i have heard and remotely liked were the rs1's... and I would much rather have the etys instead. most seem bright tho.

Aug 10, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 15
Whats the difference between warm and dark?

Biggie.

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 15
While I still owned SR60, I found that Headroom crossfeed helped reduce its brightness a lot, bass was improved and mid sounded thicker. I think Grado works well with Headroom amps.

John
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
The CHA47 is a bright amp, so there you go! When paired with the right amp, they shouldn't sound bright.

[size=medium]System synergy is the key to creating a great audiophile system![/size]

Strange KR... Personally I find the CHA47 to be quite dark sounding when compared to my META42, and seemingly neutral sounding when compared to my X-Can V2... what are you comparing the CHA47 against?

Oh... to keep on track within this thread, I have the SR125, and really don't like them for how bright and thin they sound... ho-hum

Aug 10, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Whats the difference between warm and dark?

Biggie.

From my understanding, the term warm, is used when the midrange is on the positive side of neutral...

and dark, is when the treble is on the negative side of neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Back