Afirmative action poll
Oct 9, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 17
Braver, it's an American thing. Affirmative action is policy of preferences for minorities, mostly in hiring and in selection to universities that's been in place in certain areas since, what?, the sixties. It's meant to counter social prejudices that reduce opportunities for minorities.

kerely

Oct 10, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 17
Affirmative action was quite necessary early on. I think that like all good things, it has been abused and overused. I do believe that the USA is less racist/sexist now than in the 60's and 70's.

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 17
DanG: We can't discuss affirmative action in criminal situations? Only in civil ones? That's no fun!
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #9 of 17
LOL, Old Pa. Second time you've made me laugh today!

Akar: my own personal position is that political and religious debates are best left off Head-Fi -- they add nothing to the community here, a community of headphone-lovers. But the mods as a whole have chosen to allow this sort of debate, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. We'll be watching for that.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 17
I think that peoples' view of AA is determined by "whose ox is gored." As for most confrontational issues (e.g., AA and abortion), I'm happy to leave their resolution up to the courts, and especially to the Supreme Court. Using the judicial process prevents social conflict and social unrest. So, leaving it up to the courts is where I stand.

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
I think that peoples' view of AA is determined by "whose ox is gored." As for most confrontational issues (e.g., AA and abortion), I'm happy to leave their resolution up to the courts, and especially to the Supreme Court. Using the judicial process prevents social conflict and social unrest. So, leaving it up to the courts is where I stand.

I'm not.

1. These issues should be determined by an elected government.

2. By doing the opposite, the courts allow a single individual or group to hold up for years something that a vast majority wants and elected representatives have enacted. In a certain respect, this is one of the greatest thing about the U.S., providing the ability to overturn discriminatory laws for example. But over the last 25 years, it's too often been used for anti-democratic purposes by groups that want to circumvent political process.

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I do believe that the USA is less racist/sexist now than in the 60's and 70's.

I wonder if things are really that different or if the racist/sexist of years gone by has become more clever. Their thoughts and actions are the same but they know all the politically correct phrases to use. Sometimes the more things seem to change the more they remain the same.

Oct 10, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Their thoughts and actions are the same but they know all the politically correct phrases to use.

People are entitled to think whatever they want, and even if you disagree with that, you still can't legislate away people's opinions. It's the actions that are the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back