Affordable tube amplifier
May 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GreenClick

New Head-Fier
I've been starting to look around in HI-FI products recently and after buying a pair of Audio Technica ATH-50M, I was wondering if I should get a tube amplifier.

My budget would be 200$. I'll use it with my PC.

Are there some in this price range or will it be so cheap that it won't be worth it?

Thanks.

May 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 10
A good introduction to tube amplification in this price range would be Little Dot Mk II:

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=816&sid=4887b3f107ca007e86d44c223d60193c

Reputable company -- and lots of info on the forums.

May 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 10
I've been starting to look around in HI-FI products recently and after buying a pair of Audio Technica ATH-50M, I was wondering if I should get a tube amplifier.

My budget would be 200$. I'll use it with my PC.

Are there some in this price range or will it be so cheap that it won't be worth it?

Thanks.

If you want a truly starter hybrid, I have an Indeed G-3 for sale on the for sale board. For the $ it is a very cool little amp, has a bass boost switch and looks are very sharp. Might be a way to get a taste of tubes.

May 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
A good introduction to tube amplification in this price range would be Little Dot Mk II:

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=816&sid=4887b3f107ca007e86d44c223d60193c

Reputable company -- and lots of info on the forums.

Ok thanks, I was looking at it but I didn't know if it was a a good product. It's hard to tell when you don't know anything.

Usually I use a Focusrite 2i2 USB interface, what would be the difference from using the one you suggested?

May 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 10
You can also take a look at the Maverick Audio A1 Tube amp. There are a couple reviews on head-fi detailing it, and all the reviews that I've read are very favorable. Plus, the company offers some aftermarket tubes for a different/better sound signature.

May 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Just by chance i bought a dared mp5 aka fatman itube looking for an additional headphone tube amp with lots of power for a low impedance headphone.

The amp (headphone out) is warm and rich sounding, you can listen for hours without fatique. I cannot compare it to the amps mentioned here but

- the amp comes with integrated usb dac
- the amp also has a 2x 13 watt stereo speaker output and line in
- if you buy the fatman itube an ipod docking station is included

Best of all - i got mine for 150 euros which is less than 200 usd.
In general the street prices are much lower than the suggested retail prices for that amps.

Two things to mention:

- as sound is on the warm side you should listen to it before buying. With my grados the amp greatly improved the bass impact maybe the sound signature may not fit your requirements and taste as the ath-50m itself is sometimes mentioned as bass heavy or to bassy.

- with very sensitive headphones you may here a little hum when no music is playing.

I am using the amp just as you mentioned (in my office) connected to my pc - just plug the usb cable into the pc then the amp is immediatly recognized as audio out, when a video call comes in and you are using the ms player, playing pauses, after that playing resumes, really nice for office use.

Review (as amp not as headphone amp)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0306/dared_mp5.htm
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/budgetrig/budget.html

You will also find lots of information on head-fi.

I love this amp for what it is - not the last word in high end fidelity, but a great all in one solution with great useability and very relaxed sound.

May 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Ok thanks, I was looking at it but I didn't know if it was a a good product. It's hard to tell when you don't know anything.

Usually I use a Focusrite 2i2 USB interface, what would be the difference from using the one you suggested?

The Focusrite seems to be both a 24/96 DAC and amplifier. So this performs multiple functions.  May well be what you want, but of course it doesn't provide vacuum tube amplification.

May 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

The Focusrite's amp provides significantly lesser power than most headphone amplifiers. It only outputs 15mW to 150ohms, whereas the Little Dot MKII outputs 200mW to 120ohms.

May 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I'm sorry for being so ignorant. Would that only give more decibel or would it alter the sound quality also?

Imagine you are in your car pulling a trailer up over varying terrain -- both the flat and even as well as up and down hills. 
And let's say that your car is a ford fiesta.  It's perfectly fine car and you'll likely get to your destination just fine.
However you may feel that climbing the hills, the engine is straining and you're barely making it.

That's sort of the experience with having more power on hand with your headphone amp.  There are frequencies where
a given headphone is less easy to drive and having more power on hand will help the push the headphone 
where it needs the help.  Just like having a big Diesel V-8 truck will give you the feeling of flattening out those hills when 
pulling a trailer.

But given all of that, your M50s are pretty easy to drive across the gamut.  It's a pretty light and easy trailer to pull.
So for this load, you don't strictly need an amp.  However some people choose tube amp precisely because they
give a bit of richness to the tone body of the sound.  In a manner of speaking.  They sound a bit fuller and fatter, though
in many cases (I'm speaking very generally here) you may fine that your average tube amp gives up a little 
with hard driving rhythm and speed of attacks.  Just painting a generalization here -- and there are many exceptions.

Another reason to have an amp, when working with a computer source, is that you want an external DAC whose
line level output needs an amp before feeding the signal to your headphone amp.

Hope that helps.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back