Affordable DAP for Senheiser HD558
Aug 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nemoona

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a new music-lover who created his account one day before asking this.
I bought the Sennheiser HD558 a short while back and loved it,
But recently, after plugging my Sennheiser's into a stereo, I realized that there was MUCH more sound quality to be had when I use dedicated audio equipment instead of my phone.
I've recently looked into buying an affordable DAP or DAC/Amp that can plug into the digital output on my phone (I-phone 5).
I couldn't find any I-phone 5 DAC/Amps so I decided to look for a DAP.
My price range is preferably kept under $300
I've looked into the Fiio X3 II because I heard a ton of reviews about Fiio being great for the price and having Bang for Buck, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I also might look at the Fiio X1 if the Fiio X3 II happens to have a much greater sound quality that the Senn's and the X1 matches the sq, but I doubt that (I may be wrong, correct me if I am).
Any advice would be great, I'm planning on buying Whichever device I choose later this year (And probably from the retailer "Headphone Bar" they gave me great service and I want to support real-world stores).

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 6
The Fiio X3 will not work as a dac/amp with your iPhone. It can work as one with your computer. Learn more about connecting dacs to iPhones here: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

iPhones typically have good sound quality. If you need more volume from it, you could go with just an amp. Otherwise for a combined DAC/amp for an iPhone, consider the Creative E5 or Oppo HA-2. But these are just dac/amps, not DAPs.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 6
DAP's like the one you are considering play more and better music file formats than an iPhone.  Step up DAP's also give you better audio quality in general.  This first review is very helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 6
But recently, after plugging my Sennheiser's into a stereo, I realized that there was MUCH more sound quality to be had when I use dedicated audio equipment instead of my phone.
I've recently looked into buying an affordable DAP or DAC/Amp that can plug into the digital output on my phone (I-phone 5).
I've looked into the Fiio X3 II because I heard a ton of reviews about Fiio being great for the price and having Bang for Buck, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I also might look at the Fiio X1 if the Fiio X3 II happens to have a much greater sound quality that the Senn's and the X1 matches the sq, but I doubt that (I may be wrong, correct me if I am).
Any advice would be great, I'm planning on buying Whichever device I choose later this year (And probably from the retailer "Headphone Bar" they gave me great service and I want to support real-world stores).

Get the FiiO x3 Gen II, load your music on to it, leave the iPhone in your pocket unless someone calls you.

This after market cable will make it a little easier to use your HD558 with a 3.5mm jack on a portable device.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 6

All I know is, I myself recently got the Fiio X3 II and now consider it one of the most worthwhile purchases I've ever made in my entire 27 years of life :)  The sound-quality on this little thing is FANTASTIC for under 200 dollars, it completely blows things like smartphones and iPods out of the frigging water.  If your price-range is 300 and under, then yeah, for a DAP I would DEFINITELY go with the X3ii, you won't regret it if you do.  Consider the fact that depending on the size of your music library it COULD end up costing you more like 250 to 280, since the X3ii does not have any internal memory and therefore you will need to buy a separate Micro SD card (which you will then  need to format into FAT32 filesystem on the X3ii) to store your music on and insert into the X3ii.

Basically, from what my ears can hear and my experience with using the device, there is a damn good reason why the X3 II is listed #1 on the list of DAP's here on Head Fi right now :)

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 6
All I know is, I myself recently got the Fiio X3 II and now consider it one of the most worthwhile purchases I've ever made in my entire 27 years of life :) The sound-quality on this little thing is FANTASTIC for under 200 dollars, it completely blows things like smartphones and iPods out of the frigging water. If your price-range is 300 and under, then yeah, for a DAP I would DEFINITELY go with the X3ii, you won't regret it if you do. Consider the fact that depending on the size of your music library it COULD end up costing you more like 250 to 280, since the X3ii does not have any internal memory and therefore you will need to buy a separate Micro SD card (which you will then need to format into FAT32 filesystem on the X3ii) to store your music on and insert into the X3ii.

Basically, from what my ears can hear and my experience with using the device, there is a damn good reason why the X3 II is listed #1 on the list of DAP's here on Head Fi right now :)
what about acmee mf01,have one was dubious at first but now have learned how to put music on and used it a lot it has grown on me. good sound.just a music player no bells and whistles and no touch screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back