AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #5,431 of 5,483
Reading this thread, I think this may be a sealing issue as the pads, here is how they look like:

D4EEBF49-6ECF-46A2-89E1-E3D850E9EAE1.jpeg

I tried to put the pads back aligned

Attachments

• EC62934E-05B7-4631-8DE1-07EF9A97CF1A.jpeg
    EC62934E-05B7-4631-8DE1-07EF9A97CF1A.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #5,432 of 5,483
Indeed, only thing that can save the OG Aeon Closed from being lean is EQ, just different pads won't do it. It has a weird thing going on with that somewhat lean tuning being exacerbated by the lack of dynamics due to low impedance hard to drive load.

Said that, I find the stock sound quite enjoyable for EDM and jazz. Maybe even the most intriguing set of cans for those genres to my ears.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #5,434 of 5,483
What is really the difference between the Aeon 2 (the red ones) and the Aeon 2 Noir? (the black ones)

Don't tell me that it's just perforated pads on the Noir and the colour of the headphones.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #5,437 of 5,483
That is exactly the only difference between them

What is really the difference between the Aeon 2 (the red ones) and the Aeon 2 Noir? (the black ones)

Don't tell me that it's just perforated pads on the Noir and the colour of the headphones.
Aeon 2 (the red ones) and the Aeon 2 Noir

DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON 2 NOIRE REVIEW​

Mar 24, 2021
https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-aeon-2-noire-review/
(bold added)

The guts of the Noire are pretty much the same, this is an AEON 2 on the inside 100% but on the outside, we now have a new shiny black metallic finish and some new perforated earpads to replace the original non-perforated versions.

Why the change? Well, customer preference for one thing with plenty of requests to push out a black version as opposed to the original red. The second is a tonal flavor that Dan Clark Audio claims to be that much closer than the original to the ‘Harman Curve’.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #5,438 of 5,483
Oct 20, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #5,439 of 5,483
They don't look bad in my opinion. Just check that they create noticeable suction when you put the headphones on.
I went ahead and replaced the pads, the new ones are slightly different as they have the internal portion perforated while the old ones did not.
Anyhow, Once installed, I could feel the "suction" you were mentioning, which was not happening with the old pads. Now the bass is more present, not huge, but much better than before. In terms of quantity, it reminds me the one offered by Beyer DT1990 with analytical pads, and I can be happy with this.

When I replaced the pads I pulled them off as instructed, however the left pad came with the plastic cover...

1634732037269.png

It was impossible to to me to separate the pad from the plastic cover... hence I removed the plastic cover from the R one.
I could apply the thin black felts on the pads themselves.

Not sure if this was the best way to go, but it was the only option I had :frowning2:

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #5,440 of 5,483
I went ahead and replaced the pads, the new ones are slightly different as they have the internal portion perforated while the old ones did not.
Anyhow, Once installed, I could feel the "suction" you were mentioning, which was not happening with the old pads. Now the bass is more present, not huge, but much better than before. In terms of quantity, it reminds me the one offered by Beyer DT1990 with analytical pads, and I can be happy with this.

When I replaced the pads I pulled them off as instructed, however the left pad came with the plastic cover...

1634732037269.png

It was impossible to to me to separate the pad from the plastic cover... hence I removed the plastic cover from the R one.

Not sure if this was the best way to go, but it was the only option I had :frowning2:
Why would Dan Clark what to have a different sound in the left ear?

And also don't glue the pads into place since those gets worn out and needs to be replaced over time.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,441 of 5,483
Why would Dan Clark what to have a different sound in the left ear?

And also don't glue the pads into place since those gets worn out and needs to be replaced over time.
Not sayng that pads are different, I am saying that the plastic cover went with the pad when I pulled, and there was no way to divide cover and pad.
Not sure about your second point, could you clarify?

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,442 of 5,483

1634732037269.png

Hello,
Hmm, yes, this is something similar to the Fostex headphones where you can buy these attunion rings from the Dekoni manufacturer and have an influence on them depending on the pad change, both positive and negative.

The question now is whether this is included with the new pads or not.
And whether it is still on the newer models or not.

Maybe someone can tell us where the pads have already been changed on the newer models, whether this ring is on them or not.

I know that these attunion rings are definitely not available in the Dca shop.
It is conceivable that DC no longer offers them with the new pads or that the new pads have been revised.

The other side is now that you have removed them and nominally say he has purchased for you then it should be good.
Of course, there are now questions that need to be answered, which is understandable.

What else is possible is that since the drivers have supposedly also been revised, it is no longer necessary to install this attunion ring before the pad.
That would also be conceivable.

The only question is how this will affect the first model, which is better.
DC support can probably give you better information if you don't get Sue as your answer.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #5,444 of 5,483
Some reviewer wanted the Aeon 2 Noire in matte black.. that would look so boring to me.

Myself I would want them in candy apple red.

Attachments

• candy-apple-red-ford-street-rod-hides-a-massive-502ci-engine-under-the-long-hood_1.jpg
    candy-apple-red-ford-street-rod-hides-a-massive-502ci-engine-under-the-long-hood_1.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back