AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #5,417 of 5,483
No, not really, the Lcd 2C is an open version where I have.
But the R/T is supposed to be closed.
Also because of possible mobile use.
The RT comes in either open or closed. I recently purchased a closed along with an LCD-2 closed but have no experience with the LCD-2c

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #5,418 of 5,483
The RT comes in either open or closed. I recently purchased a closed along with an LCD-2 closed but have no experience with the LCD-2c
Hello,
thank you for your answer and sorry for the late reply from my side.
Hmm okay,
What is your impression of the closed R/T?
The Lcd 2 are not too far apart in terms of open and closed.
The fact that the lcd2c is probably a little better would not necessarily be dramatic.
It would be enough for me if it came close to that.
If it's a closed planar that still sounds good, it would definitely be worth it for me when my wife runs her 3D printers.

I still have closed driver headphones but it's not like planar headphones.
Sometimes I just feel more like planar sound😊.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #5,419 of 5,483
Hello,
thank you for your answer and sorry for the late reply from my side.
Hmm okay,
What is your impression of the closed R/T?
The Lcd 2 are not too far apart in terms of open and closed.
The fact that the lcd2c is probably a little better would not necessarily be dramatic.
It would be enough for me if it came close to that.
If it's a closed planar that still sounds good, it would definitely be worth it for me when my wife runs her 3D printers.

I still have closed driver headphones but it's not like planar headphones.
Sometimes I just feel more like planar sound😊.
I posted some detailed impressions a page back so you can find that there. I can say that I was planning on deciding between the AFC RT and LCD-2 closed but enjoy them both, and their differences, so much that I'm keeping them both. With respect to your situation, I find the isolation to be excellent.

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #5,421 of 5,483
hi everyone,
Just got a pair of Aeons Closed , first version.
I traded them with a friend, he was not using them since a couple of years.. so my question is , should I burn them in again?
I am asking this because the first approach is a bit weird to my ears, lot of details, some treble sparkle but very weak low end compared to any of my other cans (Eikon, Clear, LCD2 Classic), even when using black felts.
I am driving them from 3 different amps, listed from best to worst result with the Aeon :
  1. Violectric DHA 380
  2. Beyerdynamic A2
  3. Heed Canalot
The Violectric is best, but still I feel that bass is definitely lacking.
Maybe I need to get used to the Aeon sound signature.... not sure

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #5,423 of 5,483
I am asking this because the first approach is a bit weird to my ears, lot of details, some treble sparkle but very weak low end compared to any of my other cans (Eikon, Clear, LCD2 Classic), even when using black felts.

Sorry, that's just how they sound, especially the OG Flows

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #5,424 of 5,483
hi everyone,
I traded them with a friend, he was not using them since a couple of years.. so my question is , should I burn them in again?
I am driving them from 3 different amps, listed from best to worst result with the Aeon :
  1. Violectric DHA 380
  2. Beyerdynamic A2
  3. Heed Canalot

You may want to run them for a while to make sure that any issues resulting from long-term storage show up faster. Do a visual inspection for things like rust and dust. Get some ears on them and listen to sine sweeps for buzz, resonance, channel imbalance, and cut-outs.

However, no amount of burn-in will get the ACs to match the slam of the Eikon, Clear, or 2C, each very impressive, likely class-leading in bass impact. You can make them generally warmer with the tuning pads and EQ them to add volume to bass notes, but they just will never slam very hard. If the comfort, isolation, and neutrality don't make up for that lack of bass impact, you may want to sell them.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #5,426 of 5,483
thanks for hour replies
I am not a bass junkie, I spent a lot of hours with Beyer DT1990 with analytical pads and enjoyed that a lot.
I consider that a neutral bass response, and to my ears these AFC are weaker there.
On the other end, I apreciate their great detail and comfort. Will try some EQ and maybe a balanced cable

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #5,427 of 5,483
hi everyone,
  1. Violectric DHA 380
  2. Beyerdynamic A2
  3. Heed Canalot
Eq them and they’re great. I almost never listen to any headphones without EQ anymore. EQ turned my meh take on both AFC and LCD2 into a couple of my favorite headphones.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #5,428 of 5,483
hi everyone,
  1. Violectric DHA 380
  2. Beyerdynamic A2
  3. Heed Canalot
I think burn-in will not change anything.
Black felt is actually filtering less higher frequencies than any white felt inserts. For the deepest bass, you need to use two-notch white felt inserts (but many find it to take away hights too much; by default, it's shipped with one-notch white felt preinstalled). This is a subtractive method of tuning the sound signature, similar to using an EQ to reduce some frequences.
Maybe the earpads are not fitting well (easy to check, they should literally "pop" around your ears when you take it off), are worn out, or have lost their proper shape? 1st gen Aeon often had an issue with the earpads not keeping their shape and require regular "massage" to restore it. I had the same issue and replaced them with an aftermarket option. Modern official earpads have more firm padding too.
My Aeon headphones certainly have very decent bass as is with a good old CEntrance HiFi-M8 amp, without the need for any EQ or tuning (only one-notch white felt inserts). But they're also can be turned into a beast with just a little bit of EQ—unlike any dynamic headphones that I've owned, with Aeon I can just turn down some frequencies and increase the volume on my amp to get even an extreme level of the deepest bass, and it remains sounding mind-blowingly clean.
YMMV though, by reading many reviews and opinions here I believe that probably there were just some differences in Aeon build quality.

Regards!

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #5,429 of 5,483
These Dekoni looks encouraging

1634311861343.png

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,430 of 5,483
I think burn-in will not change anything.
Black felt is actually filtering less higher frequencies than any white felt inserts. For the deepest bass, you need to use two-notch white felt inserts (but many find it to take away hights too much; by default, it's shipped with one-notch white felt preinstalled). This is a subtractive method of tuning the sound signature, similar to using an EQ to reduce some frequences.
Maybe the earpads are not fitting well (easy to check, they should literally "pop" around your ears when you take it off), are worn out, or have lost their proper shape? 1st gen Aeon often had an issue with the earpads not keeping their shape and require regular "massage" to restore it. I had the same issue and replaced them with an aftermarket option. Modern official earpads have more firm padding too.
My Aeon headphones certainly have very decent bass as is with a good old CEntrance HiFi-M8 amp, without the need for any EQ or tuning (only one-notch white felt inserts). But they're also can be turned into a beast with just a little bit of EQ—unlike any dynamic headphones that I've owned, with Aeon I can just turn down some frequencies and increase the volume on my amp to get even an extreme level of the deepest bass, and it remains sounding mind-blowingly clean.
YMMV though, by reading many reviews and opinions here I believe that probably there were just some differences in Aeon build quality.

Regards!
Can confirm. My original earpads were always collapsing. I replaced them with the newer Gen pads and started applying EQ, and now they’re my favorite closed back. From Sony MDR1a->DT770->T5P->LCDXC->AFC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back