AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #5,221 of 5,483
Last night I was playing around with my Aeon Flow Closed and the Schiit Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 amps and I have to say that they both have very good synergy with the original AFC. Especially electronic music sounded very good with the Asgard 3. Deep bass, lifelike midrange and smooth treble. Very nice!

Was there a main difference between the two? I have an Asgard 3 w/ 4490 Dac with my Mr Speakers Aeon Open. It's excellent that the Asgard 3 has so much power, as I think the Aeon likes that, and especially at the $299 price point. I have been thinking of upgrading to a Lyr 3 in the future, but not sure if it would be worth the upgrade.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #5,222 of 5,483
Was there a main difference between the two? I have an Asgard 3 w/ 4490 Dac with my Mr Speakers Aeon Open. It's excellent that the Asgard 3 has so much power, as I think the Aeon likes that, and especially at the $299 price point. I have been thinking of upgrading to a Lyr 3 in the future, but not sure if it would be worth the upgrade.

I did notice some differences between the Asgard 3 and the Lyr 3, but I need to listen again to give you a better description. The obvious difference is that the Lyr uses a tube, so you can change the sound slightly by rolling different tubes. Rolling tubes is fun but can get expensive, depending on what tubes you're interested in.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #5,223 of 5,483
I did notice some differences between the Asgard 3 and the Lyr 3, but I need to listen again to give you a better description. The obvious difference is that the Lyr uses a tube, so you can change the sound slightly by rolling different tubes. Rolling tubes is fun but can get expensive, depending on what tubes you're interested in.

Gotcha, i think if I got the Lyr 3 I'd stick with just whatever tube it came with as tube rolling is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. Haha, Hifi is enough. I'll stick with the Asgard 3 then and maybe upgrade when they release something even more powerful. It seems like the Aeon loves power.

Semi unre-lated. I think I've landed on the two notch pad as a daily listen. I find my ears just like a bit of bass and cover on the highs. Two notch sounds just right, for example this Leon Bridges - Coming Home song:

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #5,224 of 5,483
Maybe this is a common sense sort of thing, but I recently changed out the pads from my AFC 1 purchased back in 2018. The original pads had flattened quite a bit and also rolled over.

Using a new set of pads improved noise isolation and the sound stage and bass increased quite a bit. I think the pads had softened up enough to break the seal.

The new pads were a significant upgrade.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #5,225 of 5,483
Maybe this is a common sense sort of thing, but I recently changed out the pads from my AFC 1 purchased back in 2018. The original pads had flattened quite a bit and also rolled over.

Using a new set of pads improved noise isolation and the sound stage and bass increased quite a bit. I think the pads had softened up enough to break the seal.

The new pads were a significant upgrade.

The new pads have been improved vs first half 2018 pads; they are thicker, firmer, have tighter tolerances for greater consistency and they will resist compression/deformation far longer. It's a tricky pad to make with the complex geometry. Plus for Open owners there's a new perforated pad some will prefer sonically.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #5,226 of 5,483
FYI we're having a 20% off sale on VIVO cables and ear pads until the end of the month. There's a new perforated pad option that's great for the Open model, though we don't suggest it for the closed (too bright).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #5,227 of 5,483
FYI we're having a 20% off sale on VIVO cables and ear pads until the end of the month. There's a new perforated pad option that's great for the Open model, though we don't suggest it for the closed (too bright).
I don't see the perforated AEON pad as option in the online shop? Also, any chance of adding the default Ether 2 pad to the store? Thanks!

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #5,228 of 5,483
I don't see the perforated AEON pad as option in the online shop? Also, any chance of adding the default Ether 2 pad to the store? Thanks!

Corrected and both the requested pads are live...

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #5,229 of 5,483
Gotcha, i think if I got the Lyr 3 I'd stick with just whatever tube it came with as tube rolling is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. Haha, Hifi is enough. I'll stick with the Asgard 3 then and maybe upgrade when they release something even more powerful. It seems like the Aeon loves power.

Semi unre-lated. I think I've landed on the two notch pad as a daily listen. I find my ears just like a bit of bass and cover on the highs. Two notch sounds just right, for example this Leon Bridges - Coming Home song:

I tried my Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon Flow Open with both the Asgard 3 and the Lyr 3 and I actually prefer both headphones with the Asgard 3. Some amp-headphone combos just work well and the Asgard - Aeon is one of them. If you want to try a different amp with your Aeon then I can recommend the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum - it's fabulous with both Aeon models!

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #5,230 of 5,483
I tried my Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon Flow Open with both the Asgard 3 and the Lyr 3 and I actually prefer both headphones with the Asgard 3. Some amp-headphone combos just work well and the Asgard - Aeon is one of them. If you want to try a different amp with your Aeon then I can recommend the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum - it's fabulous with both Aeon models!

Oh wow that's great to hear from someone who was able to A/B test them. And with both Aeons! Glad to hear that the Asgard 3 compares favorably to the Lyr3 when it comes to the Aeon Flow, or even good to hear that it is a great pairing. I was wondering what I might be missing with the Lyr3, but I really can't afford it right now anyways :). I've been using that combo a lot of the past month and really happy with it. I've settled on the two notch pad for majority of my listening for contemporary music.

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #5,231 of 5,483
Gave a second chance to AFC...Now purely for desktop application.
Go fully balanced with Violectric DAC and Amp combination.
Did not expect that there is a more analytical pair of HP than HD800s)
And yes, I did not change my amp settings - everything is similar to HD800S in that regard.

86290922_2638013383098631_1748429994486398976_o.jpg 85230258_2638019013098068_7891849312290734080_o.jpg

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #5,232 of 5,483
Is it reasonable to expect the first gen AEON's to be sold cheaper second hand now that the second gen is out?

They've been on my radar for a very long time, and I only hear good things, but the price has always been a bit out of my reach / what I consider reasonable atm.

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #5,233 of 5,483
These are the fastest HP I have ever experienced before. Bass is phenomenal in that regard, not the weightiest though (now I understand why they tuned Aeon 2 differently), but, boy..these are speed monsters (if properly amped)!

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5,234 of 5,483
Is it reasonable to expect the first gen AEON's to be sold cheaper second hand now that the second gen is out?

They've been on my radar for a very long time, and I only hear good things, but the price has always been a bit out of my reach / what I consider reasonable atm.

Seemed like around Aeon 2 release in Nov or Dec there were a few lightly used Aeons on the marketplace popping up here for excellent prices as some people were upgrading. I picked one up and love it. However, I've noticed not that many are up for sale now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back