AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,473 of 5,483
Hi. Just got my hands on the Aeon today. I noticed when I plug in the cable there was no click sound as stated on the manual, not sure if I did it wrong. I am supposed to twist the cable while slightly pushing it in until hear it click in place, is that correct? Tks

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #4,474 of 5,483
Hi. Just got my hands on the Aeon today. I noticed when I plug in the cable there was no click sound as stated on the manual, not sure if I did it wrong. I am supposed to twist the cable while slightly pushing it in until hear it click in place, is that correct? Tks
No Twist is needed. The test would be to pull on the cable slightly to see if it's locked-on or not. The 'click' varies depending on the cable, my SE cables has a very loud click, whereas my Balanced cable has a very soft click.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #4,475 of 5,483

The nice thing about the mrspeakers connector is that it's either in or not. There isn't really any way for it to be halfway in. So if it seems locked in place, you're good to go.

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,476 of 5,483
It's possible for new connectors to lock but not make an audible click. As long as it seats without pulling out if you gently tug the cable the connection is fine. Usually these will "click" over time as the parts fit becomes a trifle less snug...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 19, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,477 of 5,483
Hey everyone, Just ordered the AFC today..looking forward to these headphones as this will be my first endeavor into closed cans (own DT900 600ohm & he-400i). Currently using the i400's with my RME adi- 2 DAC connected to my Oppo Ha-1 as a preamp. Haven't delved into the eq functions as I've been happy with the i400's in sound signature, but have been reading that the bass (more precise, the sub bass may be a bit lacking) so studying up on that, being a newbie to all of this. If y'all have any suggestions of tips on getting the most out of the afc's; I appreciate all suggestions.Thanx in advance!

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #4,478 of 5,483
Hey everyone, Just ordered the AFC today..looking forward to these headphones as this will be my first endeavor into closed cans (own DT900 600ohm & he-400i). Currently using the i400's with my RME adi- 2 DAC connected to my Oppo Ha-1 as a preamp. Haven't delved into the eq functions as I've been happy with the i400's in sound signature, but have been reading that the bass (more precise, the sub bass may be a bit lacking) so studying up on that, being a newbie to all of this. If y'all have any suggestions of tips on getting the most out of the afc's; I appreciate all suggestions.Thanx in advance!
Could I get impression of the AFC with the rme directly?

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #4,479 of 5,483
Could I get impression of the AFC with the rme directly?
As soon as I have the AFC I will report back, just ordered them, don't know how long shipping to Sweden will take..hopefully no longer than 5 days (asked for priority international shipping) but it may be Tuesday at best, anyways, I'll update with my experience with the RME, although they will be running trough my Oppo ha-1 as I opted for the 4pin connector with my order of the AFC (My hifiman 400i(xlr) plugged into the ha-1 with the RME Adi-2 DAC as a DAC and pre amp).

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #4,480 of 5,483
As soon as I have the AFC I will report back, just ordered them, don't know how long shipping to Sweden will take..hopefully no longer than 5 days (asked for priority international shipping) but it may be Tuesday at best, anyways, I'll update with my experience with the RME, although they will be running trough my Oppo ha-1 as I opted for the 4pin connector with my order of the AFC (My hifiman 400i(xlr) plugged into the ha-1 with the RME Adi-2 DAC as a DAC and pre amp).
I see, I hoped for impressions of the amp section of the rme actually xD. Is the ha-1 coloured? I will be content with impressions of the dac

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #4,481 of 5,483
As for the combo (RME + Oppo) not at all! Very neutral. As I said, have just begun exploring the terrain of audiophile, but I notice no colorization from the RME on the Oppo ha1 and the Ha-1 was (according to me very neutral (however have only run the he-400i and Dt990 600ohm through the Ha-1). The DAC on the rme though is absolutely better....I'm no audiophile per say, buy the RME DAC section is dead silent, compared to the DAC in the ha-1! Nothing bit the source! Waiting on Canare L-4E6S cables as well to make a longer cable so will give my verdict on the. Upgraded cables as well when all is delivered.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #4,482 of 5,483
@mrspeakers has given several recommendations on this thread earlier, including the Gilmore amp you mention. I've used my AFCs with a Schiit Jotunheim at some point, solid performance, but my current amp for them is a Neurochrome HP-1, which is quite a bit pricier but I like better (with either AFC or Ether C Flow) than the Jot. I've heard the AFC with the Lyr 3 as well, but with my current Lyr 3 tube (Psvane 6SN7-SE) they sound a bit muddled compared with what I hear with the HP-1 or what the Ether C Flows sound with this Lyr 3. I guess I could try a couple of other tubes I have to find if this is tube-specific, but I don't really need to because in general I use the AFCs on the HP-1 setup.

How did the Psvane SE Sound through the AFCs compared to the factory Tung-Sol?

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,483 of 5,483
How did the Psvane SE Sound through the AFCs compared to the factory Tung-Sol?
I did not compare the AFCs (which most of the time are at work) with the other tubes I own (Tung-Sol, 1944 Ken-Rad VT-231).

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #4,484 of 5,483
Kind of bummed now..received my AFC today but something went wrong in the order fulfilment process on mrspeakers side so I have to wait for the connector plugs to be shipped separately. I'll just have to be patient a bit longer.

Edit- Well, mrspeakers came through and expedited my order to Sweden with Fedex without any charge for customs or import duties (thanks for that @mrspeakers for owning up to that! Much appreciated as an international customer!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back