AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 22, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4,456 of 5,483
From the specs it looks like it ought to be able to drive it fine (in 'low power' mode it can put 1.7v into any load from 8ohms up, which is more than enough for the AFCs, and its output impedance is <1 ohm), dunno about subjective impressions.

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #4,457 of 5,483
The Fulla 2 was a real surprise, we never did figure out what the issue between the devices was, as on paper it was fulla power. :-0

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #4,459 of 5,483
OPPO UDP-205 as Headphone Amp for AFC?

I was lucky enough to score a now-discontinued UDP-205 universal disc player directly from OPPO, with delivery expected next week. Its headphone amp is directly connected to the ESS9038PRO DAC, and is rated at 590mW into 32ohm...which doesn't tell us anything about compatability with the Aeon's 13ohm rating. Does anybody have any experience with this pairing? Thanks!

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #4,460 of 5,483
Has anyone heard the AFC with Rupert Neve's RNHP amp?

I was leaning towards the Lyr 3, but there's been some horror stories about it killing HP's sporadically. Since QC is an issue, I was looking at the Gilmore Lite Mk2, but remembered the RNHP as well.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #4,461 of 5,483
Has anyone heard the AFC with Rupert Neve's RNHP amp?

I was leaning towards the Lyr 3, but there's been some horror stories about it killing HP's sporadically. Since QC is an issue, I was looking at the Gilmore Lite Mk2, but remembered the RNHP as well.

Thanks!
I was thinking about getting a Lyr 3 and have been watching many discussion about it.
I have heard of this: "...horror stories about it killing HP's sporadically..." Can you link to stories?

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #4,462 of 5,483
I was thinking about getting a Lyr 3 and have been watching many discussion about it.
I have heard of this: "...horror stories about it killing HP's sporadically..." Can you link to stories?

Sure, there was a discussion on Reddit about it this week. One poster experienced it directly and there are links to 3 other instances in the comments.

Schiit's QC issues with this amp are why I'm looking at the RNHP as an option.

Edit: here's the link

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #4,463 of 5,483
RNHP doesn't push a whole lot of power. I don't think I'd trust it to Aeon. What I would choose in that price bracket is the Arcam rHead (which, if you go that route, shop around- UK dealers tend to sell it a lot cheaper than dealers outside the UK).

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #4,465 of 5,483
There was a discussion of this on Head-Fi, either on the main Lyr 3 thread or on the Lyr 3 tube rolling thread. The couple of documented cases there involved rolling in tubes that failed catastrophically. Won't have that problem with the Gilmore, for sure (nothing to roll :wink: ) but the experience of many others, including me, is that if you are careful in sticking with high quality new or NOS tubes (I've used so far the Schiit-supplied Tung-Sol, a 1944 NOS Ken-Rad VT-231, and a new Psvane 6SN7-SE), things go well. I love this amp with AFCs or with Ether C Flows, which is what I mainly use with it because the AFCs at at work with a solid-state amp (Neurochrome HP-1).

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #4,466 of 5,483
There was a discussion of this on Head-Fi, either on the main Lyr 3 thread or on the Lyr 3 tube rolling thread. The couple of documented cases there involved rolling in tubes that failed catastrophically. Won't have that problem with the Gilmore, for sure (nothing to roll :wink: ) but the experience of many others, including me, is that if you are careful in sticking with high quality new or NOS tubes (I've used so far the Schiit-supplied Tung-Sol, a 1944 NOS Ken-Rad VT-231, and a new Psvane 6SN7-SE), things go well. I love this amp with AFCs or with Ether C Flows, which is what I mainly use with it because the AFCs at at work with a solid-state amp (Neurochrome HP-1).

Thanks for the insight. Are there other similarly proceed about to the Gilmore that pair well with AFCs I should consider? I'm trying to make sure I've at least explored the available options.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #4,467 of 5,483
Yeah thanks for the info on tje Lyr 3. I was really thinking of getting it for an office setup but I think my search still goes on.

Sep 2, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #4,468 of 5,483
Thanks for the insight. Are there other similarly proceed about to the Gilmore that pair well with AFCs I should consider? I'm trying to make sure I've at least explored the available options.
@mrspeakers has given several recommendations on this thread earlier, including the Gilmore amp you mention. I've used my AFCs with a Schiit Jotunheim at some point, solid performance, but my current amp for them is a Neurochrome HP-1, which is quite a bit pricier but I like better (with either AFC or Ether C Flow) than the Jot. I've heard the AFC with the Lyr 3 as well, but with my current Lyr 3 tube (Psvane 6SN7-SE) they sound a bit muddled compared with what I hear with the HP-1 or what the Ether C Flows sound with this Lyr 3. I guess I could try a couple of other tubes I have to find if this is tube-specific, but I don't really need to because in general I use the AFCs on the HP-1 setup.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #4,469 of 5,483
Hello.
I had a chance to listen to Aeon C Flow (and Ether c Flow).
Great headphones, perfect tonality, bass is tight and fast, nice mids.
The only my concern was with Highs, this area sounded not very clean and pronounced.
I would not say that it was missing something but just not very transparent.
Later on I understood that they had white filters installed.
Was that the reason for a slightly veiled treble? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #4,470 of 5,483
Hello.
I had a chance to listen to Aeon C Flow (and Ether c Flow).
Great headphones, perfect tonality, bass is tight and fast, nice mids.
The only my concern was with Highs, this area sounded not very clean and pronounced.
I would not say that it was missing something but just not very transparent.
Later on I understood that they had white filters installed.
Was that the reason for a slightly veiled treble? Thanks.
Yep, the black filters are more transparent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back