AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #2,611 of 5,483
Hey, just a sanity check. The right side of the cable for Aeon should be the side marked with red right?

I just open a pair of Aeon and the cable seem to be swapped. I check with my other headphones, channels in my amplifier don't seem to be wrong so.......

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,612 of 5,483
Mine was red on the left. Luckily I was alerted by another buyer and so I tested it to be absolutely sure. The red is just a simple plastic sleeve which you can cut out if it's annoying to look at.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,614 of 5,483
Red is the right side channel in cables..

Only place where red is left is in navigation lights on boats and planes. Port side is red and to the left . starboard side is green on to the right.
Hey, just a sanity check. The right side of the cable for Aeon should be the side marked with red right?

I just open a pair of Aeon and the cable seem to be swapped. I check with my other headphones, channels in my amplifier don't seem to be wrong so.......

Mine was red on the left. Luckily I was alerted by another buyer and so I tested it to be absolutely sure. The red is just a simple plastic sleeve which you can cut out if it's annoying to look at.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,615 of 5,483

When I got mine I guessed... incorrectly. :confused:

I used this channel test on youtube to figure it out.

Guess they don't call it the dummer cable for nothing, huh?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #2,616 of 5,483
Red is the right side channel in cables..

Only place where red is left is in navigation lights on boats and planes. Port side is red and to the left . starboard side is green on to the right.

I know what is the convention, but we now have two cases where either intentionally or not the sides are swapped.

Hence my comment that it doesn't feel right.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,618 of 5,483
Very interesting. With the Amp I am using now I don't have any trouble with the highs... but obviously eveyones hearing is different.

Here a pic of the foam inserts for people interested! Very simple procedure ha

They fit nicely in there. Going to put them in an give it a listen.
Here is another shot of the Æon since I think it's such a sharp lookin can!

Just realize I see my hand in the shot ha. My bad folks. Can't help the natural sheen these exude.... :wink:
Looks interesting!
Anybody had experience with the Aeon as a walking outsite or rain can ?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #2,619 of 5,483
Thanks, just want to check if I missed anything.

That is certainly.... unconventional......

I'm not following.

The headphones clearly only fit on your head one way - with the flat side facing forward. The cables are removable - if you received them with the red side connected to the left earpiece, wouldn't you just immediately swap them?

How would this be a problem?

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,620 of 5,483
Ugh.... I need to check the cable again, I used red on the right but yesterday, when watching an ASMR video on Youtube, I noticed that it was in reverse. That confused the hell out of me, thought that was the video, but... I might got one with red on the left as well. :/

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,621 of 5,483
I'm not following.

The headphones clearly only fit on your head one way - with the flat side facing forward. The cables are removable - if you received them with the red side connected to the left earpiece, wouldn't you just immediately swap them?

How would this be a problem?

The cables are removeable and when you open up the box the first time, aren't attached to the headphones or labeled L and R. "Hmm, I guess I'll put the red one on the right, that's usually how this goes". I was wrong! The red connector was actually the left channel. No big deal once I realized, but it could definitely throw some people.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,622 of 5,483
The cables are removeable and when you open up the box the first time, aren't attached to the headphones or labeled L and R. "Hmm, I guess I'll put the red one on the right, that's usually how this goes". I was wrong! The red connector was actually the left channel. No big deal once I realized, but it could definitely throw some people.

Ah, now I get it :/

I thought you guys were saying the cable itself was reversed as attached to the headphones (which would be very simple to correct), not that the red sleeve was actually on the wrong side of the cable!

My error - carry on.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #2,623 of 5,483
hmmm...mine is red on the right...tested it just now ...may want to send Dan a note on this. I will check my balanced cable in a bit and report back.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,624 of 5,483
Hi all! I just placed my order from all the good things I've been hearing about the Aeon in this thread and from reviewers. Hoping these, paired with my Mojo, will be an "end game" set-up for me, at least for the foreseeable future. First time I'm putting this kind of money on a headphone :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,625 of 5,483
Aeons have about 40 hours on them... The best so far (and by far) is with the SPL Phonitor X amp coming out an Aurender A10. Sweet sweet sound, balanced, highs are well presented, not too strident, no fatigue, good bass although not the very best. Using the A10 DAC which is on par with high end dac like Hugo TT IMO. The Aeons also shine with Mac Mini/Audirvana3/PhonitorX (dip switch 2 on and all controls at neutral) and using the Phonitor dac which is average when compared to others I used/have. Very nice balanced sound... All this not a portable rig... Tried it with the Mojo and I like it (out iPhne or FiiO X5ii)... Enough good sound to listen on the go. But not to compare with what I hear with the Phonitor X. YMMV of course : o)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back