AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,651 of 5,483
I think they do not leak out any music. I have worn my Aeon to the grocery and to a local mall, and nobody complained about sound.

Thanks, good info. I'm also hoping to hear from someone who listens at home or in a quiet environment when others are around. I'd like to be able to wear these when my fiancé is working in the same room and not be a bother to her.

May 30, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,652 of 5,483
Thanks, good info. I'm also hoping to hear from someone who listens at home or in a quiet environment when others are around. I'd like to be able to wear these when my fiancé is working in the same room and not be a bother to her.
The don't leak out at all as far as I can tell. Listening at home after the kids are asleep and the house is quiet and listening at work in an office environment and no issues with leakage.

May 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,653 of 5,483
Looks like my Aeon's haven't even shipped yet :triportsad:

Just great :rage: It's really frustrating knowing I was one of the first to order yet at this rate I'll be the last to get my cans

May 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,656 of 5,483
I see you have the Edition X in your avatar....it's expensive but I think it sounds great. I have it (Version 2) on a trial run now. I don't know if I'll keep it and it would be interesting to compare to the Aeon even though it's open v. closed. HiFiMan is interesting - build quality is the usual complaint but the performance is consistently very good. Like Ferrari sound trapped in the body of a Fiat.

May 30, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,657 of 5,483

Sitting on the sofa next to my GF, who was listening to my AEONs (trying to understand why "sane" people pay $700+ for headphones), through iFi BL, at moderately high volume - I could not hear ANYTHING. My head was a foot away from hers. Nothing.

May 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,658 of 5,483
I see you have the Edition X in your avatar....it's expensive but I think it sounds great. I have it (Version 2) on a trial run now. I don't know if I'll keep it and it would be interesting to compare to the Aeon even though it's open v. closed. HiFiMan is interesting - build quality is the usual complaint but the performance is consistently very good. Like Ferrari sound trapped in the body of a Fiat.
i agree build quality could be better especially the headband adjustment being too loose but i enjoy the sound. I hope the aeons sound as good.

May 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,659 of 5,483
Dan, should you need another photographer, Lee Shelly Photography is absolutely fantastic. In fact one of his shots adorns the cover of Esquire this month.

He's also an all round good egg and headphone enthusiast

@leesure @mrspeakers

May 30, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,660 of 5,483
Probably no one really cares but me. I got shipping notification for order # 11263 (from February 13) just a few minutes ago.
Maybe it will help some others figure out where they are in the continuum.
I may actually get them Friday. Yesssss !!

May 30, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,661 of 5,483
Still waiting on tracking # for order 11334 ordered back in Feb 28th. I am going out of town next week for two weeks hopefully I receive it by this Saturday.

We are officially now into March orders... We are short staffed this week and there's the LA Audio Show coming up, so we may be mid-week next week before we clear all the pre-orders. Sorry, it's taking a little longer than we hoped.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 30, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #1,662 of 5,483
Sitting on the sofa next to my GF, who was listening to my AEONs (trying to understand why "sane" people pay $700+ for headphones), through iFi BL, at moderately high volume - I could not hear ANYTHING. My head was a foot away from hers. Nothing.
I can also confirm that there is virtually no sound leakage. I listened to music at fairly high volume the other night next to my sleeping partner (who is a very light sleeper) and she wasn't disturbed at all.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,663 of 5,483
Comparative impressions, Æon vs Ether C Flow, same chain (balanced DUM cable, rest sig below): Æon brings out lows and highs in small ensemble music, especially jazz in a very nice way, but it gets a bit muddled in big orchestral and choral passages, where the C Flow is more refined. For listening to classical music, I prefer the C Flow by quite a margin, but for jazz, the Æon holds its own and maybe some. Caveat: if break-in is a thing, I've had the C Flow since last summer, the Æon for less than two weeks.
For me, where the Aeons really crush it, is with portable gear. I haven't heard my portable rig sound better (IBasso DX-200 with Alo Audio CV5).....even with my Ether Flows. However, with my main rig, the differences between the Flows and Aeons open up ....Flows just have more detail and depth.....but switching back to my portable rig and the Aeons win out for me. Very happy about this as it's exactly why I bought the Aeons.....to offer a superb match with my portable rigs. I travel every week so portability without compromising sound is important.

I must say though, I never thought a portable rig could sound this good. I'm listening to Vaughan Williams Symphony No 2 (Richard Hickox) and it sounds simply staggering. I'm very happy!

sbb

May 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,664 of 5,483
I haven't considered the Fiio X5, but I don't think I will. I need a DAP that has enough juice and is resolving enough for the Aeon. That's why I listed the aforementioned DAPs. Also, I own the DX90 and love it very much. I was wondering if the DX200 on its own is able to make the Aeon work its magic.
Ibasso-DX200 is a great match with the Aeons....but even better when paired with the Alo CV5 amp. Sound is simply exceptional. If you can handle the extra bulk (athough CV5 is light and compact) ....highly recommended. I know it costs a lot, but I haven't heard anything better in a portable rig.

May 30, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,665 of 5,483
The AEON dosn't require a lot of juice according to the specs (I haven't heard them) so your choice will likely be down to synergy and source implementation.

The DX200 is a powerful DAP (AM1) and will have no issues at all with the AEON but some say it sounds rather bright and flat, others say it's neutral and revealing.

The X5iii will also drive the AEON with no issue, from a power perspective. I use the ETHER Flow C with the X5iii and they have no issues being driven from the FiiO unit, so I imagine the easier to drive AEON will be no problem as well. Some say the X5iii is veiled and too warm, others say it's musical. I think that AKM's 'Velvet Sound' is an apt description for the X5iii.

The QP1R is the weakest DAP of the three but many find it still able to drive full size headphones just fine. There's the simple interface and scroll wheel to consider as well as a lack of ability to load apps like Tidal because of the simple Linux OS. The QP1R is also said to be on the neutral / bright side compared to some other DAPs. Even though the output power isn't that much compared to other DAPs the Current Mode amplification is said to be very well done.

My point is raw power isn't the only requirement and many people simply think raw max power is all they need. It isn't, and is often the least concern once there is enough for headroom (you'd be surprised just how little headphone's need to reach 90dB SPL). Look for opinions on overall synergy and clean, and well implemented drive for your headphones.

Personally, for audio quality under $1000, I'd say just get a Mojo and be done with it, but then it's a stack you need to deal with.

So, I have 2 portable rigs.

1: Ibasso Dx200 with Alo Continental V5
2: Ibasso Dx90 with Headamp pico power and Mojo

With Rig 2, some would say that Pico power is redundant, but to me the trio just sounds better than the mojo and Dx-90 alone.

Rig's 1 and 2 are so close in my mind sonically that in the end, the smaller form factor of rig 1 and my love of tubes makes it an easy decision.

Either rig is superb. Not cheap I agree, but top of the line sound in every respect.

sbb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back