AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 13, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #931 of 5,483
Actually I was also shocked to see how long it takes to sell the first 250 units. Then again it's a lot of money and you can't return them in case you don't like em. Maybe that's the reason.
I for myself just trust Dan (MrSpeakers) that he has put a lot of time and care in creating a good product. It's just a feeling, but from what I read and see in forums, articles and on youtube, he is very dedicated and passionate in what he is doing. So I'm also glad I can "help" him in pre-ordering a, well one! :grin:, headphone...

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #933 of 5,483
Not sold out yet, but only 27 left.

I ordered mine back in February and I am counting the days since (only 17 days + shipping time). I can't wait!

It is very generous from Dan to offer the first 250 Units of the AEON for 100$ less as a thank you to Head-Fi.
Think of it, 250x100$ is a very big present.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #934 of 5,483
Actually I was also shocked to see how long it takes to sell the first 250 units.

Selling $150,000 of an unreleased headphone in a few months time seems pretty good to me. Mr. Speaker is a small company and audiophile headphones are still a niche product. Within this small space, Mr.Speaker is competing with some big names (Audeze, HiFiMan) and some huge names (Sony, Sennheiser).

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #935 of 5,483
  Imagine if you waited on the pre order and the counter runs down to 2.  Then you want to "think about it" with your finger on the order button.  By the time you hit the button, everyone jumps in and you are locked out of the pre order.  Cry. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not sure I'd cry over $100 but, each to their own :)

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #936 of 5,483
IMHO I don't think such pre-ordering is a good thing when dealing with headphones.
You need weeks and may be months to make sure about the product quality and durability.
I did myself the mistake with the Audeze Sine. Ordering it "early bird" I had it without the cipher cable , and I paid it too much.
In the end my conclusion is that Sine is suffering from some severe design issues, is not compatible with a daily usage and at it's price is certainly not a high quality product. Closed portable headphones should be heavy duty, the sedentary ones are in a comfortable daily usage and are not as much exposed to intensive usage outside (transportations/weather conditions aso) 
Apparently the Aeon is even lighter than Sine while being much more expensive...
I will wait 6 month , and come back to this thread to make sure what your findings are before buying .
This will save me some money.

So thank you all generous early adopters / buyers / headfiers.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #937 of 5,483
  IMHO I don't think such pre-ordering is a good thing when dealing with headphones.
You need weeks and may be months to make sure about the product quality and durability.
I did myself the mistake with the Audeze Sine. Ordering it "early bird" I had it without the cipher cable , and I paid it too much.
In the end my conclusion is that Sine is suffering from some severe design issues, is not compatible with a daily usage and at it's price is certainly not a high quality product. Closed portable headphones should be heavy duty, the sedentary ones are in a comfortable daily usage and are not as much exposed to intensive usage outside (transportations/weather conditions aso) 
Apparently the Aeon is even lighter than Sine while being much more expensive...
I will wait 6 month , and come back to this thread to make sure what your findings are before buying .

Weight is not indicative of build quality. If anything, having something lighter is more comfortable. Sine's felt like a brick when I had them.

Also, as someone pointed out here, the Aeons are more transportable than portable and I would have to agree. I pre-ordered these, but I definitely don't see myself wearing these around. The Oppo PM series would be better. Aeons don't fold either, so I imagine the case would be too bulky. I am actually going to be using these strictly at home.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #938 of 5,483

​Mr. Speakers and Audeze are different companies, Audeze has released headphones with serious design flaws while Mr. Speakers headphones are always rock solid. Many here will also chime in about Dan's support which is top notch which means if something is miraculously wrong with the Aeon, Dan will make it right without hesitation.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #939 of 5,483
I concur with inthere.   Dan will make it right.

Btw, I considered the isine 20 but decided to wait 6 months since I am leery about the materials used.  Already some conflicting reports of loose connections or a break in what i think is the ear loop.  Some pic I saw in that thread. I will continue to monitor that thread for a few more months.  Who knows, in the end, I may not drop any interest in the isine20.

However, if you ran into any issues, Dan will stand behind his product. I have seen it first hand.  Guy I know sent his Hp back in and got it back very quickly.  No issues, no hassles.

I have the pm 3 also.  I plan to take walks with the Aeon.  

It may be 100 bucks saving but it is 100 bucks I can put into more hardware.  I have missed pre orders before and then ended up buying at retail price later.  Which made me think why I did not just buy the pre order.  Everyone has their own situation.  You do what is best for you.   Enjoy. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #940 of 5,483
I'm planning to buy myself some new headphones soon for home use vs my Angies which I use on the commute (flight / tube).

The Aeons are a consideration, but not being able to hear them makes it difficult. How do they fit with the below?

So far I've tried:

HE400i (too bright and spikey for me)
LCD3 (too expensive, but gives me a flavor of the LCD2 which is probably front runner but not yet heard. these were very heavy but sounded pretty great - maybe I could have used a tad more treble, but volume seems to help, and they only sounded lacking in direct comparison with the Elear which was polar opposite).
Elear (mixed - these are very comfy, but they are also peaky and shouty and I feel like the mids are a bit thin - makes them very clear though)
PM1 (really nice sound, but I think they could use more bottom end)

I've owned:
T51p (nice for what it was)
RS1i (too bright and spikey)
DT880Pro (too bright, too little bass - I used these only with my guitar processor as a monitor)

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #941 of 5,483

There's nothing wrong with taking the "wait and see" attitude with pre-orders.  I know that I don't plan on pre-ordering video games anymore since the majority of AAA games release in terrible shape.  However, I do pre-order from certain companies that have proven themselves over time.  

I think the same can go for headphones.  MrSpeakers' last four headphone releases (the Ether, Ether C, Ether Flow, Ether C Flow) have all gone flawlessly with no major issues to speak of.  The same cannot be said of Audeze.  I'm friends with Sankar and a lot of folks at Audeze but anyone can see that they've been plagued with production issues over the years, from the sample variance on the LCD-X to the "stealth" driver updates to the EL-8 debacle.  Once they get those issue straightened out, they're generally left with a pretty solid product but they have a hard time launching with a solid product.

As to the Sine, it is one of the more uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn...sounds good, but I'd never use it because of that.  Everyone's ears are different and some people don't agree with me while others do.  The AEON, on the other hand, has been pretty universally praised for its comfort.  I don't think I've seen anyone's who's tried it NOT praise its comfort.

So yeah, wait and see is totally fine.  But comparing MrSpeakers to Audeze based on things like product launch quality and comfort is really a poor comparison.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #942 of 5,483

​Mr. Speakers and Audeze are different companies, Audeze has released headphones with serious design flaws while Mr. Speakers headphones are always rock solid. Many here will also chime in about Dan's support which is top notch which means if something is miraculously wrong with the Aeon, Dan will make it right without hesitation.

While it's true that there haven't been any significant issues with the Ethers, there have been many upgrades. There were many many upgrades to the "dog" series as Dan learned and made them better. Some people (not me) aren't content unless a headphone is "done" when shipped. Take the Ether C. I heard it and loved it and bought it. Dan then came out with the tuning kit and then came out with the 1.1 upgrade, and then came out with the Flow. I applaud moving forward and I was very happy with the no or low cost upgrades for the first two. I chose not to do the Flow upgrade.

I imagine there will be upgrades and tune-ups and tweaks to the Aeon that most will be thrilled with, and others will be happy they waited, and a small set will complain about. The early adopters might not have the same product sold 2 years from now, but they will have a really nice headphone in hand for two years.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #943 of 5,483

While it's true that there haven't been any significant issues with the Ethers, there have been many upgrades. There were many many upgrades to the "dog" series as Dan learned and made them better. Some people (not me) aren't content unless a headphone is "done" when shipped. Take the Ether C. I heard it and loved it and bought it. Dan then came out with the tuning kit and then came out with the 1.1 upgrade, and then came out with the Flow. I applaud moving forward and I was very happy with the no or low cost upgrades for the first two. I chose not to do the Flow upgrade.

I imagine there will be upgrades and tune-ups and tweaks to the Aeon that most will be thrilled with, and others will be happy they waited, and a small set will complain about. The early adopters might not have the same product sold 2 years from now, but they will have a really nice headphone in hand for two years.

That's a very good point. I started with the Mad Dogs, upgraded to the Alpha's and then finally to the Primes. Shipping plus taxes can get expensive specially if your international.
Sure it ended up costing me more overall but I got to enjoy them in-between upgrades so I consider it worth it.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #944 of 5,483

That's a very good point. I started with the Mad Dogs, upgraded to the Alpha's and then finally to the Primes. Shipping plus taxes can get expensive specially if your international.
Sure it ended up costing me more overall but I got to enjoy them in-between upgrades so I consider it worth it.

The other side of the coin is has its downside.  For example, have the HE-6's with in excellent amp to drive them to a level only matched/exceeded at the highest level; dearly wish for an upgrade to the 6's, but alas none is forth coming.  It is frustrating thinking that if only HiFiman would only do an upgrade, there would be a real possibility the cans could challenge the very best. 

I'll go with Dan's side of the coin.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #945 of 5,483
  I'm planning to buy myself some new headphones soon for home use vs my Angies which I use on the commute (flight / tube).

The Aeons are a consideration, but not being able to hear them makes it difficult. How do they fit with the below?

So far I've tried:

HE400i (too bright and spikey for me)
LCD3 (too expensive, but gives me a flavor of the LCD2 which is probably front runner but not yet heard. these were very heavy but sounded pretty great - maybe I could have used a tad more treble, but volume seems to help, and they only sounded lacking in direct comparison with the Elear which was polar opposite).
Elear (mixed - these are very comfy, but they are also peaky and shouty and I feel like the mids are a bit thin - makes them very clear though)
PM1 (really nice sound, but I think they could use more bottom end)

I've owned:
T51p (nice for what it was)
RS1i (too bright and spikey)
DT880Pro (too bright, too little bass - I used these only with my guitar processor as a monitor)

I notice that those are all open-back headphones. Aeon is a closed-back headphone. Open-back headphones almost always sound better than an equivalent closed-back headphone. So, probably don't get the Aeon unless you want/need a closed-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back