AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 20, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #3,587 of 5,483
I'm trying to order a pair of these, but immediately it stated suspected fraud! I saw in this thread someone else asking about it all the way back in August, the reply about targeted by thieves, and I'm over here going "dam, I really wanted these for the thanksgiving weekend."
How can I expedite the confirmation that I'm not fraudulent?

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,588 of 5,483
Ya, it's weird. But what I heard is definitely clip, not compressed nor tinny. It clips at any given volume. I don't know the reason, as spec-wise, Fulla 2 is sufficient. But something just isn't right. I hope we can get technical explanation of why it is though.
May I ask, what does this sound like to you. I am just wondering if it is actual clipping or some other kind of distortion?

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,589 of 5,483
Almost feel like the "Fulla 2 Aeon clipping?" should be a title for a separate thread. LOL all jokes aside, I believe Dan has already said, a few pages back, that the fulla 2 does not have sufficient power for the Aeons.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,590 of 5,483
Almost feel like the "Fulla 2 Aeon clipping?" should be a title for a separate thread. LOL all jokes aside, I believe Dan has already said, a few pages back, that the fulla 2 does not have sufficient power for the Aeons.

In the post I found, he relayed Schiit's recommendation to use the external USB power on the Schiit. Which doesn't actually help.

I think it's clear that the Fulla and the Aeon don't work together well, unfortunately. But it remains unclear to me whether this is something specific to Fulla, or would be true of any amp that can "only" put out 500mW into ~16 ohms.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,591 of 5,483
In the post I found, he relayed Schiit's recommendation to use the external USB power on the Schiit. Which doesn't actually help.

I think it's clear that the Fulla and the Aeon don't work together well, unfortunately. But it remains unclear to me whether this is something specific to Fulla, or would be true of any amp that can "only" put out 500mW into ~16 ohms.
I've tried the external power too, it doesn't change the sound at all. I think its just in the design of the Fulla2, they have to make compromises to hit the price point.

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,593 of 5,483
How do I cancel my order? Not sure I like being called a fraud.
Try asking Audeze Customer Support
upload_2017-11-21_7-45-10.png

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #3,595 of 5,483

I did send an email to Schiit to see if they agreed that it was a clipping problem. Jason replied, saying: "Yes, the Aeons are very low-impedance, and can exceed the current capability of a USB port. You may get better results with a high-current USB charger into the power port, if you have one."

I'm already using a 2A charger, so I think that "may" is more of a "or-may-not" in this case. But at least that makes sense for why it'd be clipping with the Fulla 2. (I also asked if a Magni would have any issues, since that's probably my next step up; he says that it "does not have current limitations like Fulla 2" so should work well with the Aeons.)

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3,596 of 5,483
I did send an email to Schiit to see if they agreed that it was a clipping problem. Jason replied, saying: "Yes, the Aeons are very low-impedance, and can exceed the current capability of a USB port. You may get better results with a high-current USB charger into the power port, if you have one."

I'm already using a 2A charger, so I think that "may" is more of a "or-may-not" in this case. But at least that makes sense for why it'd be clipping with the Fulla 2. (I also asked if a Magni would have any issues, since that's probably my next step up; he says that it "does not have current limitations like Fulla 2" so should work well with the Aeons.)
I used a Magni 3 with the Aeon and there is no volume control basically because the Magni 3 has so much power.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,597 of 5,483
didn't order from audeze, just went straight to the mrspeakers website
Dude hasn't responded to anything yet.
Sorry about that. When I made that post I had multiple windows open and one of them was the Audeze website. Yeah, you should try the MrSpeakers website. Sorry

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #3,598 of 5,483
I was on the purchase page for the Aeon(closed) when I noticed on Mr.Speakers site they include the option to choose between 3.5mm+1/4 or a 4-pin xlr. I've only seen it listed with the "Dummer" 3.5mm+1/4 and thought previously in this thread mentions of not having a 4-pin option. Is this option something new(ish)?

Yes, it's new.

I have a gumby+mjolnir2 so for me makes more sense to keep everything on the balanced path regardless, but am interested if anyone else purchased it with the 4-pin.

Use the 4-pin XLR for best results on that rig.

I'm trying to order a pair of these, but immediately it stated suspected fraud! I saw in this thread someone else asking about it all the way back in August, the reply about targeted by thieves, and I'm over here going "dam, I really wanted these for the thanksgiving weekend."
How can I expedite the confirmation that I'm not fraudulent?

didn't order from audeze, just went straight to the mrspeakers website
Dude hasn't responded to anything yet.

"Dude" was traveling doing sales training for one of our largest resellers, but now that I'm out of meetings I'm happy to help (folks, as you know I travel a lot, there seems to be an idea I can and will always respond within hours, but sometimes a little patience is needed). :)

We are not calling you a fraud, our card processor has filters to determine fraud risk and when they are triggered they automatically flag the as "suspected fraud", we do not make that call it's the financial institution.

Because internet thieve can and do target us, we unfortunately have to get identity validated, which we try to do without bothering the customer, but if we can't validate identity, which is often the case with certain occupations where people move a lot, military, overseas, etc, we have to ask for confirmation. We request proof of identity because we've also had people forge identity documents and even print phoney credit cards. If end up shipping a headphone to thieves we eat the loss, not the credit card company and not the unfortunate person whose credit card was stolen. As a small business, I hope you understand we hate having to request this, but given that a fraud costs us $800-1800 I'm hoping you can understand the conundrum we face...

We are looking at other processors to see if their systems are better, but there are limits and this takes diligence. So sorry for the hassle, but I do hope you understand.

Edit: PS we'll change our notification from "suspected fraud," which is a store default, to something nicer. We didn't create this, it's part of the Magento store, but if it's needlessly offensive we'll change it!

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,599 of 5,483
I just got a Soekris dac1541 (R2R DAC+headphone amp), and on early impressions, it pairs beautifully with the closed Æon. Detailed impressions and conclusions need more time, but for my taste and music preferences (modern jazz and classical, renaissance and baroque, Mali, North African, Persian) it may be edging out Bimby+Jot.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,600 of 5,483
For anyone new to the headphone cord game, if you get your AFC or AFO terminated 4 pin XLR, you can always get an attachment at some point that will go 4pin XLR female to TRS male. That way no matter what, you could go balanced or single ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back