AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 5, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #271 of 5,483
I know the Ether Flow C benefits from an extended burn-in in order to fully open up.  I wonder if the Aeons' sound signature would change after extended burn-in..?
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Very true. My Flow-upgraded C's are still in the burn-in period. Regarding the Aeon's I would hope that Dan brought units to the show that were already burned in, but not sure. Cheers

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #272 of 5,483

I know the Ether Flow C benefits from an extended burn-in in order to fully open up.  I wonder if the Aeons' sound signature would change after extended burn-in..?
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Very true. My Flow-upgraded C's are still in the burn-in period. Regarding the Aeon's I would hope that Dan brought units to the show that were already burned in, but not sure. Cheers

Since they are so new (as in, not even out on the market yet), I couldn't be sure that there was even enough time to fully burn them in.  Perhaps Dan could answer that (and the burn-in/sound change question)...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #273 of 5,483
  I do believe in sound quality changes with headphone burn-in or extended use.  If you don't agree with that opinion then of course, YMMV.

Definitely agree. Depends on the headphone though.

Most of my headphones didn't sound dramatically different after burn-in (40+ or 100-200 hours depending on the headphone) but ones like the Senn Momentum M2 did. Brand new out the of the box they sounded dark and muddy. I usually burn-in for 2-3 days to start but tried the M2s again after about 10-12 hours. Sounded like an entirely different headphone; sparkly, spacious, and much more dynamic.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #274 of 5,483
Since they are so new (as in, not even out on the market yet), I couldn't be sure that there was even enough time to fully burn them in.  Perhaps Dan could answer that (and the burn-in/sound change question)...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dan's a pro who was introducing a new product at a major show that has been in development for 2-3 years and wanted it to get off on the best foot possible. Would be really surprised if he didn't bring Aeon's that were at their peak, but hey - you never know. Cheers

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #275 of 5,483

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dan's a pro who was introducing a new product at a major show that has been in development for 2-3 years and wanted it to get off on the best foot possible. Would be really surprised if he didn't bring Aeon's that were at their peak, but hey - you never know. Cheers

I counted three booths(not counting Dan's) and at least 2 insiders rocking them,and each pair I heard,all from vastly different set-ups,each sounded really nice...Either he burned in quite a few pairs,or they were new in box sounding.

Either way I liked them quite a bit.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #276 of 5,483
I counted three booths(not counting Dan's) and at least 2 insiders rocking them,and each pair I heard,all from vastly different set-ups,each sounded really nice...Either he burned in quite a few pairs,or they were new in box sounding.

Yep, I really liked them as well. Cheers

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #277 of 5,483

Wish I could be there... I am looking for good closed-back and right now (before auditioning) the 2 runners up are the Aeon and the Meze 99 Classics.
I am looking for comfortable, isolating, great sound quality with little emphasized bass for rock music.  
Any comparisons to the Meze 99 ?  Should I consider others? Budget is sub-$1000.
I will audition those 2 (and others) at CanJam SoCal in 2 months...

Thanks for any comparisons to Meze 99 and any others I should audition.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #278 of 5,483

Wish I could be there... I am looking for good closed-back and right now (before auditioning) the 2 runners up are the Aeon and the Meze 99 Classics.
I am looking for comfortable, isolating, great sound quality with little emphasized bass for rock music.  
Any comparisons to the Meze 99 ?  Should I consider others? Budget is sub-$1000.
I will audition those 2 (and others) at CanJam SoCal in 2 months...

Thanks for any comparisons to Meze 99 and any others I should audition.

As I mentioned in another thread I heard them three different times,at Schiit stall,at Chord stall and one of the insiders had a pair....none of the setups I heard had much mid bass(rock music) response at all....however I still liked them and im a rock/metal guy.

Cannot comment on the Meze,never heard them.

The closed back(semi-open) that had stupid bass and a killer mid presentation was the ZMF Atticus.Those will be next headphone purchase,no doubt.However they have more than a little bass emphasis,and with quite a few ports I doubt they will offer much isolation.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #279 of 5,483
Can anyone speak on the sound leakage of the AEONs? Are they headphones that would work fine in a library setting?
Also if anyone wouldn't mind talking about their experience with different premium closed headphones vs similarly priced open ones. The only closed ones I've owned have been m50s and currently I use Grados PS500e. While I enjoy my Grados, I'm looking for something I can use in public.

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #280 of 5,483
  As I mentioned in another thread I heard them three different times,at Schiit stall,at Chord stall and one of the insiders had a pair....none of the setups I heard had much mid bass(rock music) response at all....however I still liked them and im a rock/metal guy.

Cannot comment on the Meze,never heard them.

The closed back(semi-open) that had stupid bass and a killer mid presentation was the ZMF Atticus.Those will be next headphone purchase,no doubt.However they have more than a little bass emphasis,and with quite a few ports I doubt they will offer much isolation.

Thanks monsterzero!
I do not mind more than little bass emphasis...  
biggrin.gif

But I am not after semi-open, so ZMF is off the list (already got the NightHawk which I love and are semi-open).  Definitely looking for totally closed this time around.
Since you really liked the Aeon, and listen to rock and metal - I still hope the Aeon is a good option.   I will definitely audition them anyhow - we'll see how that works for me...

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #281 of 5,483

Thanks monsterzero!
I do not mind more than little bass emphasis...  
biggrin.gif

But I am not after semi-open, so ZMF is off the list (already got the NightHawk which I love and are semi-open).  Definitely looking for totally closed this time around.
Since you really liked the Aeon, and listen to rock and metal - I still hope the Aeon is a good option.   I will definitely audition them anyhow - we'll see how that works for me...

I listened to some Eagles on a new Sony DAP(dont recall the model) and it sounded exquisite,no amp.
I listened to some old school Jefferson Airplane at The Schiit stall thru Vali 2 and the term "analog sounding" comes to mind,again i loved it.

If it had a bit more mid bass presence it would prolly be a very tough choice between it and the Atticus,but I have been looking for a bass heavy headphone that has forward sounding midrange for quite sometime,and I finally found it,so Atticus it is.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #282 of 5,483
i can't believe the sound coming from these for the price.  gentle, super detailed, absolutely gorgeous midrange and the price! My favorite pairing with it was the hugo 2. Couldn't believe how well they scaled up. These are going to be the most popular headphone around for some time due to price and performance, i guarantee it.  A little more elevated bass would be nice FOR ME but it's just a little closed back headphone so that could be dangerous as far as resonance goes.  The ether's have the added bass i prefer.  i preferred the upper midrange of the AEON to both the ethers though.  If you love vocals then these are for you.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #284 of 5,483
  i can't believe the sound coming from these for the price.  gentle, super detailed, absolutely gorgeous midrange and the price! My favorite pairing with it was the hugo 2. Couldn't believe how well they scaled up. These are going to be the most popular headphone around for some time due to price and performance, i guarantee it.  A little more elevated bass would be nice FOR ME but it's just a little closed back headphone so that could be dangerous as far as resonance goes.  The ether's have the added bass i prefer.  i preferred the upper midrange of the AEON to both the ethers though.  If you love vocals then these are for you.

Is the tonality/slight thickness anything like LCD 2C/3Cs ? I think you owned both for a good while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back