AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #196 of 5,483
  Great review. Out of interest have you heard the Sony MDR-Z1R, and if so how do you think they compare?

Great Review Stillhart. I have ordered these cans yesterday as a direct replacement/upgrade for my portable choice can the PM-3. I understand if the costs/profit ratio prevents there being a case supplied, however im just not comfortable dropping them in a backpack when they cost $700. It may be just me but I tend to be quite anal/ocd with my gear and I like it to remain as new for as longer time as possible. On a more positive note I really do like the looks/design of the Aeon.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #197 of 5,483
My Ether C Flow has a single piece of leather as the headband. Wonder if the stitched headband is going to be placed on new models to differentiate the product line? What is the second material on that newer band.

Personally have no problems with the leather headband, but saw the mention made in still's review.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #198 of 5,483
I guess there are two different meanings of "portable". The first one meaning you can transport it from A to B, and the second one is "real" portable meaning foldable, like PM3´s etc. 

I think the new AEON will sound "better" than my PM3´s but alas they are out because I need it to be "real" portable. But I hope to listen to them soon anyways.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #199 of 5,483
  I guess there are two different meanings of "portable". The first one meaning you can transport it from A to B, and the second one is "real" portable meaning foldable, like PM3´s etc. 

I think the new AEON will sound "better" than my PM3´s but alas they are out because I need it to be "real" portable. But I hope to listen to them soon anyways.

In my mind portable is a scale, not an absolute.  Something can be more or less portable than something else.  The AEON is more portable than the ETHER C Flow and arguably less portable than the PM-3.  The question is whether it's portable enough for your needs.  

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #200 of 5,483

Sorry, I've only heard it briefly in a show environment.  My main takeaway was to wonder why people seemed to like it so much.  I didn't hear anything special that would validate flagship pricing.  But with so many people excited about it, I'm sure I need to give it some more time in a better listening environment.

Thanks for the reply Stillhart.

I've got a pair of Z1Rs sitting in front of me. I'm very new to the world of good headphones, with limited experience of different brands. 

I've tried HD600s and HD650s. I liked the HD600s best, but returned both after getting a pair of HD800S. I find the Z1Rs pretty special. Compared to the HD600/650 they have much more detail to me. Compared to the HD800S they have most of, if not all of the detail, but are warmer/richer sounding. On some tracks they seem to bring out details more than the HD800S in the mids. They definitely have more bass, but on some tracks I find it a bit too much, so I think they're going back too.

I'm keeping the HD800S as I need an open backed pair most. I've also ordered the Aeons, hoping they will suit me as my closed backs. I'm hoping they will be warmer than the HD800S, with more bass, but not as much as the Z1Rs. Looking forward to finding out if that's the case in a few month's time.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #201 of 5,483
I don't have an HD800S handy but the HD800 is my main headphone and I've heard the S plenty.  I think you'll be happy with the AEON.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #202 of 5,483
  I don't have an HD800S handy but the HD800 is my main headphone and I've heard the S plenty.  I think you'll be happy with the AEON.

Great to hear, thanks again 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #204 of 5,483

Great Review Stillhart. I have ordered these cans yesterday as a direct replacement/upgrade for my portable choice can the PM-3. I understand if the costs/profit ratio prevents there being a case supplied, however im just not comfortable dropping them in a backpack when they cost $700. It may be just me but I tend to be quite anal/ocd with my gear and I like it to remain as new for as longer time as possible. On a more positive note I really do like the looks/design of the Aeon.

I totally agree with you - I will not even drop a $100 headphones in a backpack with no hard case...  and BTW, it is NOT just you!  Many of us in this hobby are anal / OCD.  
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #208 of 5,483
Feb 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #210 of 5,483

Yeah, a bit. 
biggrin.gif

That is comforting to know. Even though I trust Dan implicitly, having your positive opinion is that much more conformation that I will like them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back