Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #721 of 830
So even the Dekoni replacement pads are collapsing ? Great, I have a pair coming from USA at much cost for that experience...
With the thicker leather on the Dekonis, i'm guessin decays won't be so extended, the really thin pads always trump on that for decays.

Wish I had put in the black felt discs earlier, it really improved the subs extension and quantity, or so it seems.

They are also great for 'cinema for one' netflix etc on a device...just spot-on for FR placement..vocals neither too forward or too far back...My XCs though they bring more sub-bass heft, that vocal region issue more pronounced with movies with that scoop at 4k..and new XCs are over-reach in upper mids and lower treble....from one extreme to another.....and Audeze never even bothered to make a specific driver for XC 2021(slap a cup on X and fingers crossed) - so A2C rocks for that use case.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #723 of 830
Interesting all of the pads issues being disc. I feel badly for those that experience this - you pay for something and you expect it to perform.

I count myself as very lucky - not had this problem either on my Noire or my earlier AFC.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #724 of 830
You don't need an extra amp, and you don't need Xbass – if you use a good parametric equalizer instead:

EQ AFC2.JPG

The Aeon² Flow Closed is my balcony headphone, beside Atlas and FH7, sometimes the HEDDphone adds to these. With above EQ curve the sound is phenomenally clear, crisp, dynamic and natural directly from the Hugo₂. Xbass is just a standard curve, not what the AFC really needs to sound at its best. And there's more to be improved than just the bass roll-off.

The Hugo₂ drives it with ease and lots of power reserves left (and I use to listen fairly loud). No need for an unnecessarily redundant signal-path detour, which will only degrade the signal. Show some courage and try above curve (or a derivative from it adapted to your needs) if you want to be pleasantly surprised! In this configuration the AFC even rivals Atlas, HD 800 and HEDDphone (all of which also carefully equalized).

(AFC without foam filter!)
I am going to try this to see how it affects bass impact.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #725 of 830
Yeah the pad issues are a drag but once the headphones are on my head I don’t care. I was more frustrated with the Dekoni pads not sticking right out of the box. If I buy pads again I’ll buy the DCA brand. But with my second pair of Aeons arriving on Tuesday (had to get an Aeon open) now I know to just stick with the stock pads. I used to always immediately replace the pads on all my other brands.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #726 of 830
I used to always immediately replace the pads on all my other brands.”

I case of DCA and Audeze I found that going with company pads is the safest way to go.

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #727 of 830
Yeah the pad issues are a drag but once the headphones are on my head I don’t care. I was more frustrated with the Dekoni pads not sticking right out of the box. If I buy pads again I’ll buy the DCA brand. But with my second pair of Aeons arriving on Tuesday (had to get an Aeon open) now I know to just stick with the stock pads. I used to always immediately replace the pads on all my other brands.
How was the sound compared to the stock pads? Have you tried using the perforated pads? So far my Noire pads have held up so far and I got them on preorder earlier this year (knocking furiously on wood).

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #728 of 830
How was the sound compared to the stock pads? Have you tried using the perforated pads? So far my Noire pads have held up so far and I got them on preorder earlier this year (knocking furiously on wood).
Really tough to compare the sound since I couldn’t swap back and forth. I do like how the Dekoni is slightly thicker so my ear is farther from the felt. That is a big plus for me.
I’d say the sound is so close as to be negligible but I do use two of the felt filters.
I’d recommend just staying with the stock pads - the thin synthetic leather is softer and more comfortable. I’m gonna give the Dekoni pads a chance for a while after I work on them to stick.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #729 of 830
I'd not be using same foam on a 4k can...reason for returns.
It just needs to be bonded to the leather inside at various points to hold its structure.
They sure look similar, I'm waiting for more people to get theirs and report back on whether the Stealth's pads have these same issues.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #730 of 830
Anyone think an Aeon3 release is soon..or too soon yet ..?
I cannot remember time between Aeon and Aeon2..though that is not really an indication...I found difference between AeonC
and Aeon2C quite a leap..wonder if that sound leap will happen with 2C to 3C or if it will be a sidegrade.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #731 of 830
I cannot remember time between Aeon and Aeon2..though that is not really an indication...I found difference between AeonC
and Aeon2C quite a leap..wonder if that sound leap will happen with 2C to 3C or if it will be a sidegrade.
Stealth is the Aeon 3, if you ask me. A3C, anyway.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #732 of 830
Based on the comments in the Stealth thread it seems like that train is still rolling on backlog.
I think new products will be released when that is over. Considering the Headfi interview the AMTS might be adopted to the other products. I don't know if that will be a big leap, but I speculate it will be an improvement.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #733 of 830
I am sure we will see trickle down of "Stealth" technology to lower end models. But when that happens only Dan knows. And he won't say. But that's not a problem at all. I enjoy my A2C daily. Will I consider an Aeon 3 (or whatever it may be called) if it proves to be a big step up from the A2? Sure. Do I enjoy my A2C any less until it's there? Absolutely not.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #734 of 830
L30 is enough. Just like tires. You need to replace pads when they wear out.
Really? The L30 is enough? That would be awesome as I could do an E30/L30 stack. I have a Magni/Modi stack and feel like I am being held back. I have a budget of around $500 and a pair of DCA Aeon 2 Closed backs. What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #735 of 830
Has anyone tried putting the Stealth pads on the Aeon 2 (C)?

Looking at the pictures and seeing that the Stealth also uses glue, I’m thinking it could be possible to fit them on the Aeon 2 (C)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back