Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Feb 8, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #571 of 830
Hi, what sub 500€ amp(or combo) would give the Aeon2 some nice bass slam? (even at moderate listening levels)
Now i'm driving it with a DAP and tho it sounds good i don't get bass slam. (it claims to put out 1240mW in a 32ohm load)
Would somthing like a Musical Fidelity M1HPA class A (and can find it cheap second hand) work well or would you go with a smsl sp200 class D(or similar)
Really enjoying my SMSL SP200 with my A2C. It drives them very well with all that power, and delivers nice bass slam.
On low gain, the pot is between 11-12 o'clock most of the time.

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #573 of 830
Got my Aeon Noire together with a set of standard Aeon pads which I don't want to open for nothing.

If I'd like Noire to have a bit more "grit", would switching to the standard Aeon 2 pads (non-perforated) help?

What do you mean by "grit?"

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #574 of 830
What do you mean by "grit?"

Yup, my bad—a bit more bite/grit, so I’d say perhaps a tad more mids? But a tad 😋

First planars so it might come from this? I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♂️ I also just reviewed the Clariden, a W-shaped 3-BA IEM so this might explain things. Perhpas BAs aren’t as smooth as planars, again, first planars for me so I’m not sure.

My understanding is that the Noire are somewhat V shaped although not overly so and with my Dethonray Honey H1 DAC/Amp—everything sounds super duper smooth.

I actually really like the Noire although I’m wondering how I could get juuust a little bit more... bite/grit, so yeah, I’d say a little more mids.

Regardless, very good job btw 😉

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #575 of 830
Yup, my bad—a bit more bite/grit, so I’d say perhaps a tad more mids? But a tad 😋

First planars so it might come from this? I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♂️ I also just reviewed the Clariden, a W-shaped 3-BA IEM so this might explain things. Perhpas BAs aren’t as smooth as planars, again, first planars for me so I’m not sure.

My understanding is that the Noire are somewhat V shaped although not overly so and with my Dethonray Honey H1 DAC/Amp—everything sounds super duper smooth.

I actually really like the Noire although I’m wondering how I could get juuust a little bit more... bite/grit, so yeah, I’d say a little more mids.

Regardless, very good job btw 😉

These headphones are tuned to the Harmon curve, which is a v-shaped response. Sure, you can add warmth to the midrange and flatten the response a bit by swapping to the standard non-perforated AEON ear pads. If you don't like it you can go back to the perforated pads, it's possible to swap the pads a couple of times before the adhesive fails. Just be careful not to rip the pads when you remove them.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 9, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #576 of 830
These headphones are tuned to the Harmon curve, which is a v-shaped response. Sure, you can add warmth to the midrange and flatten the response a bit by swapping to the standard non-perforated AEON ear pads. If you don't like it you can go back to the perforated pads, it's possible to swap the pads a couple of times before the adhesive fails. Just be careful not to rip the pads when you remove them.

Thanks, would the non-perforated pads end-up with a slightly more W—shape tuning? Or I’ll just end-up with the mids on the forefront and tamed lows and highs?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #577 of 830
Thanks, would the non-perforated pads end-up with a slightly more W—shape tuning? Or I’ll just end-up with the mids on the forefront and tamed lows and highs?

Alright, non-perforated pads are a game changer from a sound standpoint (mids are more forward and everything is less distant) — happy to have ordered them with the Noire turning them into a keeper.

They’re also more comfortable as there’s less pressure towards the front which is the thinnest part of the cushion. Not a game changer for those who had an issue with the clamping force on the Noire but an improvement.

Headphone pads are what tips are to IEM which can be a make or break difference, regardless of the costs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #578 of 830
Alright, non-perforated pads are a game changer from a sound standpoint (mids are more forward and everything is less distant) — happy to have ordered them with the Noire turning them into a keeper.

They’re also more comfortable as there’s less pressure towards the front which is the thinnest part of the cushion. Not a game changer for those who had an issue with the clamping force on the Noire but an improvement.

Headphone pads are what tips are to IEM which can be a make or break difference, regardless of the costs.

Thanks!
Interesting. I think you have the A2C Noire with the pads from the A2C, so basically you now have a Noire color version of the A2C, right?

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #584 of 830
Is there a place to get a reasonably priced balanced cable for these?
I have a shorter cable with interconnect kit on order with Hart Audio (3-5 week lead time for custom but I wanted 4 ft).

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #585 of 830
@mrspeakers
What do you recommend as an amp for the Aeon 2s closed?
Did you ever think about making angled pads for the Aeon2?
To be honest my fidelio X2 sounds better to me. Maybe it's becase there open with angled pads vs closed.
I think the problem to me is that the soundstage kind of is behind my ears while i'm used to it being more around me and i can't get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back